Today it is difficult to imagine an animal prettier than an ornamental rabbit. Soft fluffy fur, eyes-beads on a pretty face, funny and funny habits can not but arouse affection and admiration in both children and adults. And considering that their maintenance and care for them are not very burdensome, the desire to acquire such a lovely glomerulus as a pet is quite understandable and justified.
Conventionally, rabbit breeds can be divided into three types:
Grow ordinary rabbits for meat and valuable fur. But since they are large in size, it is very problematic to keep them in an apartment. Their weight reaches 10 kg. Therefore, the breeders were derived decorative and dwarf breeds of rabbits.
Decorative mainly derived for valuable fur. They can reach a weight of up to 5 kg and have a wonderful hair coat of attractive color.
Dwarf rabbits are best suited for keeping in apartments, as their weight does not exceed 2 kg. They are exclusively pets. They have much less waste than decorative rabbits, because the volume of food consumed is much lower. Accordingly, the smell from their content in the apartment is almost not noticeable. Many when buying dwarf rabbits are attracted by their friendly nature. They are better trained and trainable.
Requirements for keeping rabbits
To maintain the good health of your pet, you need to create comfortable living conditions for him. First of all, like many other pets, rabbits need space. And even if you purchased or made a chic and spacious cage with your own hands, you still need to release a decorative rabbit at least once a day. Fine if the duration of such walks will be 1.5–2 hours. With a lack of motor activity in a rabbit, muscles can atrophy, weaken the skeleton, and internal organs can be deformed. Therefore, the movement is very important for this pet.
The second quality of the dwarf rabbit is its cleanliness. It is homemade the animal feels very bad in unsanitary conditions. Any bacteria, viruses, fungi cause various serious diseases in rabbits that are difficult to treat. To improve immunity, a pet should be vaccinated against various diseases in a timely manner.
The dwelling of ornamental and dwarf rabbits must be kept clean. Therefore, the floors in the cage must be cleaned at least once a week. But to wash and disinfect the plates for food and drinkers will have every three days. Once a month it is necessary to carry out a complete cleaning and disinfection of the rabbit’s dwelling. During the general cleaning it is prohibited to use various chemicals and detergents that you use when washing dishes and baths. The smell of such substances and their residues can harm the rabbit.
Cleaning is best done with hot water, and disinfection with a solution of potassium permanganate. Drying the cells is best carried out in sunny weather outdoors to kill the remaining microbes.
Rabbits are very clean animals, but the owner will have to devote a lot of time to caring for the pet’s hair coat. She will need to be combed at least, and long-haired breeds should also be cut regularly.
When it comes to ambient temperature, rabbits are considered to be quite unpretentious pets. Dwarf rabbit breeds feel great at temperatures from + 10 to + 20. Decorative rabbits are even less demanding on temperature fluctuations. For them, the temperature is considered comfortable from 10 to + 25. The most important condition for keeping your pet healthy is no drafts and high or low humidity. Therefore, if the apartment is constantly used electric heaters – you need to think about purchasing a humidifier.
The cage for the decorative rabbit, like the cage for the dwarf rabbit, should be four times the size of the pet itself. The cell must contain:
- Nursery for hay. Hay for food, lying on the floor, quickly deteriorates, so be sure to arrange a special place in the cage;
- Drinking bowl. For your pet to have permanent access to the water, the cage must be equipped with a drinker. You can make a drinking bowl with your own hands from an ordinary bowl, while it is necessary to provide for its attachment so that the animal could not overturn it. But more practical is the use of automatic nipple watering systems. The rabbit, striking the tongue at the ball valve, brushes away a drop of water from the system. This type of automatic watering allows the cell to be kept clean and dry;
- Bowl feeder for loading grain feed. It is advisable to use ceramic dishes with a wide and heavy bottom, so that the rabbit could not turn it over. Attachment feeders, which are attached to the cage grid with their own hands, are very convenient to use. It is easy to fill such a feeder with food, as well as simply remove and wash it;
- House for privacy. Such a house for a rabbit can be made with your own hands from real wood. Painting and processing of a wooden structure with varnish is not allowed to prevent poisoning of your pet;
- Tray. It is preferable to use a plastic tray with a depth of about 15 cm. Some breeders recommend to put the pieces of paper or paper napkins at the bottom of the tray first, then shavings or sawdust. With this arrangement of ingredients, the tray cleaning procedure is greatly simplified. But some owners prefer to fill the tray cat litter, but it must be covered with a fine grid. Of course, it is better to use to remove the smell, each owner decides individually. The tray is preferably attached to the bars of the cage.
To avoid problems with the health of your pet, the bottom of the cage should not be slippery. It is the hard floor that can cause inflammation on the pet’s hind legs. The use of sawdust for bedding is undesirable, as they stick to the legs and fur of the animal. It is better to use soft fabric as bedding.
Must be placed in a cage mineral stone for rodents (red-brown wheel).
The location of the cage for the decorative rabbit
Particular attention should be paid to the location of the cage for the decorative rabbit in the apartment. Install the cage preferably away from radiators and air conditioners air, in places where the occurrence of drafts, which carry the greatest danger to the health of your pet, is impossible. To prevent overheating, cage can not be placed in the sun.
It is advisable to find a quiet place in your apartment where there is no noise and little movement so that your favorite animal can rest easy. Do not install a cage for a decorative rabbit in the kitchen, in the hallway or on the corridor. It will not be out of place to do a small podium with a height of 2–4 cm with your own hands. If it is possible to ensure optimum temperature and good ventilation, you can take the cage to a glazed loggia during the warm season.
For owners of country houses and cottages, there are cell placement options in the summer on the street. It should be borne in mind that dwarf rocks are more sensitive to temperature changes and drafts than decorative ones. Therefore, to protect the rabbit from the wind, you need to close two or three sides with plywood or thick cardboard.
Cohabitation in a cage
When keeping several animals, it is advisable to make each rabbit a separate cage. If you place two undistorted males in one cage, then they will begin serious fights, because in 2.5–3 months they will begin to divide the territory. Females become aggressive to each other a little later, reaching puberty.
If two different sex rabbits live in a cage, an early offspring may appear as early as 12 weeks. And it is deadly for the female.
The best option would be to keep two sexually opposite animals together when the male is neutered. At the same time, the male is castrated at the age of 6 months, and then his girlfriend is acquired. At first they are introduced in neutral territory, and only then they are placed in one cell.
Cage for decorative rabbit do it yourself
You can make a simple plywood cage yourself:
- Cut a rectangle to the size of the floor with a hacksaw;
- Wood upholstered with thin tin. The edges of the tin must be bent to the animal could not get hurt. Tin is needed to improve cell cleaning;
- Then cut out of plywood one of the side and back wall;
- Bottom and walls are connected with screws. In this case, you need to carefully monitor that the fastener never spoke and could not injure your pet;
- Attach a fine-meshed mesh to wooden rails;
- Then we connect the side wall with the rest of the structure and hang the door with hinges;
- Pre-cut and obbyv tin, set the ceiling for the second floor of the house;
- Mount the ladder to connect the two floors. The ladder can be made of a board, having filled planks with a step of 3-5 cm on it;
- Making the roof. It is better to make it removable, which greatly simplifies cleaning the house.
The simplest and cheapest option would be to make a cage from an old table. On the floor lay a sheet of linoleum on the size of the table. The table itself is set on top. Side and back wall sew up with a sheet of plywood or mesh. We mount on the front wall of the hinge, hang doors on them. The cage is ready.
Remember that making a cage with your own hands, you can take into account all the habits and habits of your pet. First you need to purchase or make a cage and everything you need to keep your pet, and then acquire a rabbit.