Decorative rabbits are among the most preferred pets. Parents often give kids funny fluffies. They are incredibly sweet and have a positive effect on the formation of the character of children. Funny animals resemble beautiful toys. But these are living beings with their needs. They need good conditions. Then the rabbits will delight excellent health and longevity.
Rabbit life span depends on cell quality.
Good conditions are a competent care, an opportunity to move a lot, a spacious and safe house. Quality cage with equipment costs a lot. Therefore, many are willing to do homemade shelter for the animal.
The cage for the ornamental rabbit is an important factor in ensuring decent living conditions. A rabbit cannot be in one place all day. Lack of activity is harmful to the liver, heart, problems with the gastrointestinal tract may appear, and obesity may develop. But the free movement of fidget in the apartment is undesirable. Rabbits love to be obscene: turn over objects, chew on electrical wiring, shoes, furniture. It is better to let the eared person out for a walk a couple of times a day. The rest of the time the pet can spend in a cage, which must meet many requirements.
The rabbit must be periodically released from the cage.
Requirements for a decorative rabbit house
The dimensions of the cage should be sufficient for an eared pet. The optimal size of the bottom of the cage is 60×90 centimeters. The height of the structure should be such that the furry pet can stand on its hind legs, that is, about 35-50 centimeters.
The universal dimensions of the dwelling for decorative rabbits are as follows: 52x44x100 centimeters.
How much a ready house will cost depends on its quality and equipment. A self-assembled cage is cheaper. In addition, this does not require much skill.
The cost of a cell depends on its size and quality.
How to make a cage for a rabbit?
To make a cage with your own hands, you will need an action plan and relevant materials:
- Before you get to work, you need to decide what should be the cell. To do this, specify the size and shape. Then a drawing is constructed (or a ready one is selected).
- First, the lower part of the cell is made. To do this, you can use a sheet of plywood or chipboard, processed exactly the size (60×90 cm). If there is a choice, then it is better to use plywood.
- Then prepare sheets of plywood for the walls of the cell. One of the sizes is 45 cm wide by 60 cm wide. If it is planned to manufacture a two-tier cage, 2 walls are made of plywood, and the other two are made of metal mesh. For reliability, nails and screws are used (for fastening to the floor).
- A separate door is made, which will then be hung on the hinges. Required materials: wooden slats and metal mesh. Recommended size: 30×30 cm. The door must close securely.
- If a two-tier dwelling is built, special requirements are imposed on strength. Fastening of a sheet of plywood to the walls is carried out by screws. You must ensure the reliability of the design.
- For a two-story house will need a ladder. It can be made of wooden slats and plywood. Width can not be less than 15 cm.
- The automatic drinking bowl which can be made of a plastic bottle is attached.
- Capacity for feed (mounted or floor mounted) is also carefully attached to the structural elements.
How to equip home fluffy pet?
A manger for hay will prevent scattering of food throughout the cage. The house inside the cage is a secluded place to rest. You can buy it or build a shelter with your own hands. To do this, use unpainted wood parts, preferably not from conifers.
Rabbits do not like a smooth surface, they need litter
The house should be equipped with a toilet. This is a fixed container with a special filling, covered with a grid with small cells. Allowed composition for cat litter. The filler can serve scraps of paper towels.
Hay and sawdust for bedding are carefully selected to make the house safe. Rabbit paws slide on a smooth surface; the layer of the mixture should provide reliable support for the animal. Categorically should not be used as bedding carpet, as rabbits bite it. This material can be used for finishing the ladder on the 2nd tier of the structure.
Space for cell
The house should be located in such a way as not to disturb people. The main requirement is the safety of your pet. Location requirements for the structure:
- you can not put the cell under the direct rays of the sun;
- drafts must be avoided;
- it is strictly forbidden to leave the rabbit dwelling next to batteries and other heating devices;
- pet house should be located in a quiet place, not on the aisle.
Breeders recommend putting a cage on a stand. So it will be easier to organize the care of the animal.
Leg cells – the best option
All wooden parts of the structure must be carefully processed and free from chipping and roughness.
To create a cage, you can use plastic and metal.
Considering the habit of restless animals to gnaw, in the manufacture of their own hands at home for rabbits it is better to use a grid of galvanized rods on which there is no layer of paint.
Painting or varnishing parts of the structure should not be, as this may cause harm to the pet. Such processing of metal or wood can be applied only outside the cage. If this is done, it is possible to settle the rabbit into a new house only after the finishing material has completely dried out and the smell has weathered.
Accommodation for decorative rabbits should be not only safe and spacious, but also developing. An animal needs to be able to move, hide, warm up. There should be enough space so that the fluffy can stretch out on the bedding and rest.
The more complex the cage design, the more interesting it is for the rabbit to live in it.
Buy a cage or make yourself?
Housing for a pet family can be purchased or built with their own hands. How much a self-made cell costs depends on the material and model.
A variety of ready-made designs are on sale: with high and low pallets, made of metal and plastic, standard and exclusive, compact and very spacious. But a hand-made pet cage will more closely match its needs and content rules.
Decorative rabbits are wonderful animals that bring joy to all households. A good house for a pet will help preserve their health, cheerful nature and inimitable attractiveness.