Before you start creating a cage for decorative rabbits with your own hands, you should consider a few important points – what should be the size of the house, what materials it is better to build, and how to make the cage comfortable for the pet.
The easiest way to make a rabbit cage is wood.
Before you begin, you should create drawings for which you can assemble the entire structure. Make it easy if you pre-determine the size of the house.
For this it is important to consider a few simple rules:
- Dimensions are determined by the size of the rabbit. The area should be at least 4 times larger than the size of an adult pet. In general, the more his house will be, the better.
- The minimum height of the dwelling should correspond to the height of the rabbit when it rises on its hind legs and is fully pulled upwards.
- It is desirable to provide for the possibility of creating several levels – decorative rabbits love such designs very much.
To clarify the dimensions, it is important to consider whether the rabbit will walk around the apartment or not. If the pet will spend most of its time in its house and rarely walk outside, you need to increase the size at least 1.5 times the minimum allowable. If every day the rabbit will walk around the apartment, you can make a cage with an area of 70 * 40 cm.
A hand-made cage can be of any design.
As for the other requirements, they are also quite simple:
- The material chosen is traditional – chipboard or plywood for the floor and a metal grill for the base of the cell.
- The floor should not be made of metal mesh – the legs of decorative rabbits do not have pads, so they need only provide a soft surface.
- It is better to pre-plan a place for feeders, drinkers and internal devices for a comfortable life of the pet.
Natural materials should be selected, and the metal frame should not be rusty. The fact is that it is unacceptable to paint it – the rabbit can begin to gnaw the rods and get poisoned by the paint.
Materials and tools
If we assume that the parameters of the house will be 900 * 600 * 450 mm (respectively, length, width and height), then dimensions of building materials will be as follows:
- metal grill (mesh) for the base of the house 600 * 450 mm;
- plywood sheet for floor 600 * 450 mm;
- flooring of tin or plastic 900 * 600 mm in order to clean the house was easier.
From the tools you will need:
- hammer and nails;
- screwdriver and screws;
- wood saw and handsaw;
- pencil ruler.
Accessories will also be needed to create the door, and it is necessary to immediately envisage the dimensions of the entrance, so that you can freely place any dishes or structures that a rabbit will climb into the cage.
Making a cage with your own hands
Creating a house is an easy task, but it requires a certain skill and, most importantly, accuracy. Step-by-step instructions with a detailed description can be as follows:
- First of all, it is necessary to draw up a detailed drawing in which to provide not only the dimensions of the structure, but also the dimensions of the door, as well as places for the placement of internal equipment.
- Next, plywood (or chipboard) is taken, markings are applied to it, and the product is cut out in the same dimensions with a distance of 15-20 mm from the edges.
- A sheet of tin is laid on the plywood, which is cut to exactly the same parameters. He will play the role of a sliding panel for quick cleaning of the house from waste.
- Next you need to make the frame house. To do this, choose the bars or iron rods that are lined around the perimeter (they are pre-cut to the desired size).
- One (and in the case of a two-story house – two), the wall is made of plywood (600 * 450 mm) and fastened to the floor with nails and screws.
It is convenient to transfer a cage of a similar design.
- Then the metal mesh is stretched onto the frame and fixed with screws.
- The opening for the door is pre-sawn in a wooden wall. You can create it in a metal grid, hanging the wooden partition on the hinges.
- If the cage is assumed to be two-storied, then a hole is made in the ceiling that is sufficient so that the rabbit can get on the upper tier (at least 15 cm wide).
- The ladder to get to the 2nd floor is made of a piece of plywood and slats, which are packed at intervals of not more than 5 cm. It is important that all wooden surfaces are carefully sanded, otherwise the pet may plant splinters in the legs.
Attention! If the house is a two-story, the overlap is also made of plywood – the same rectangle is cut as the floor.
- The overlap is attached to the metal grid with screws. This should be done in several places so that the floor can withstand constant loads.
How to equip the cage
In order for the rabbit to feel comfortable, it is necessary to pay a lot of attention to the internal arrangement of his house. To do this, you need to think about what designs will be convenient for him to run and have fun, where there should be a feeder for feeding a decorative rabbit and a drinker, and also how to arrange the surface so that the animal can sleep comfortably.
Here you should consider such tips:
Regardless of how well a cage will be made for decorative rabbits with your own hands, we should not forget that freedom is necessary for the pet. Some breeders advise to keep the house open all the time. However, if this is not possible, It is important to let the rabbit go for a walk every day – otherwise there is a risk of obesity and muscle wasting.
The video shows how to make a rabbit cage: