When you decide to start a rabbit at home, the question always arises about its breed on the basis of which you will choose the cages for rabbits. Rabbit breeds can be divided into three types (depending on the purpose and size):
- Meat or meat-skin – weight up to 10 kg;
- Decorative (sandpaper) – weight up to 5 k;
- Dwarf – weight up to 2 kg.
Decorative rabbits They are distinguished by wonderful hair and a peculiar color. Divorced in any farms and farms on the skin. They are less meat, but at home it is difficult to keep them. The food leaves enough and to observe sanitary conditions is more difficult, because an adult rabbit reaches a weight of up to 5 kg. You can keep them at home at a young age.
Three dwarf rabbits waiting for their cage
At home adapted to the content dwarf rabbits. The cage occupies a small space in the room, due to the small size of the rabbit (1.5-2 kg.). Due to the small size of the rabbit, the apartment does not smell like the waste of its vital activity.
At a young age, ornamental and dwarf rabbits are practically difficult to distinguish. It is recommended to purchase them from breeders who must submit a pedigree document.
When purchasing a rabbit, take care of his little cage. Cage for dwarf and decorative rabbit – a responsible matter. Approach her choice seriously, taking into account the requirements for keeping the breed you purchased. Mistake in choosing a cage can cost your pet’s health. The cage must be of high quality. Cell materials must be durable so that they can last 3-4 years. The rabbit, for sure, will gnaw twigs, scratch the cage and go to the toilet in the wrong place. Twigs of the cage must be unpainted, as the paint may be harmful. It is not recommended to purchase a plastic cage. It is practically closed on all sides, there is no access to fresh air, and the rabbit will be there, like in the stove. It is very life threatening. The cage should be large, about four times the size of the rabbit. They grow fast. It is good, if the grown-up rabbit can stretch out at length. In addition, to calmly fit a full-sized tray. First, get a cage and everything you need to keep a pet, and then a rabbit, and not vice versa. Take care of a first aid kit for your pet.. You will need a carrier to transport the animal, for example, to the country, to the garden, to the veterinary clinic. Get one too.
The requirements for the cage, its structure and content, both for the ornamental and for the dwarf rabbits are the same.
Cell device requirements
The cell must be taken in the appropriate size (the size of the cells will be discussed below). The cage for the ornamental and dwarf rabbit should be with a plastic pallet, the slatted bottom is not acceptable, as the pads on the rabbit paws are not designed for that floor. The cage is divided into place for free movement of the rabbit and the sleeping house.
In the cage must be:
- Nursery for hay. Be sure to purchase them so that the hay for food is stored there, on the floor it quickly becomes unusable.
- Automatic drinker for rodents, it has a metal tube with a ball at the end. The animal strikes the tongue at the ball and the water drips.
- Bowl-feeder for grain feed. It is better to take a ceramic bowl, with a heavy and wide bottom, so that the rabbit could not turn it over, because once it will grow. Hinged bowl-feeders are convenient. Using the stand, they are attached to the cell grid. It is easy to put food in such a bowl and you can quickly get it and wash it.
- Cottage for rabbit solitude. The house for the rabbit should be made of real wood, not softwood, not covered with paint.
- Tray. The tray should be about 15 cm deep.
Cage for the dwarf rabbit
Do not use cat litter in the tray, if it is open to the rabbit, the rabbits will gnaw them. First put any paper (newspaper), paper towels, and then shavings, sawdust down the tray. Then, when cleaning the cage, it is easier to remove the dirty litter. Some rabbit breeders, on the contrary, advise the use of feline woody filler, but that in trays it was under a fine grate. This filler absorbs the smell of urine well and crumbles into crumb, which is removed. In addition, it does not form a urinary stone in a tray, due to its good absorbency. Sawdust quickly get wet and do not keep the smell. What you choose is up to you. The tray is better to attach to the bars of the lattice. Otherwise, night football you will be provided.
Cell bottom it should not be slippery, otherwise rabbit health problems may arise. A hard floor without bedding can cause inflammation on the rabbit’s rear legs. If, however, the underlay is not used, then regularly inspect the pet’s paws. In case of any signs of indisposition (wool is worn on the paws, redness appears), a soft cloth should be put on the bottom and the pads should be treated with the “Rescuer” ointment. After all, redness on the paws is a sign of poddermatitis. For litter used sawdust, straw, wood chips. But sawdust stick to wool and paws. Therefore, it is better, if possible, not to use them. The cage should contain a mineral stone for rodents (the wheel is red-brown in color, not to be confused with a white salt stone). Purchase a vegetable holder, small claw cutters for processing rabbit claws, and a wool care brush.
Cell Content Requirements
To maintain the health of your pet, the cage must be kept clean. It must be cleaned daily. Rabbits are clean creatures and will not use a dirty tray. He pointedly left his handful next to the tray. In the light part of the cage, replace litter every other day. And once a week – in the house where the animal sleeps. Once a month, clean the cage and disinfect it. Do not use any chemicals or cleaning agents recommended for bathing and washing dishes to clean the cage. Their smell and unwashed remains may harm the rabbit. It is better to wash the cage and all the equipment in it with hot water; disinfection should be carried out with a solution of potassium permanganate. It is recommended to dry the cage in the sun to destroy the remaining germs. For cleaning it is better to have a brush and a special scraper (take a paint scraper), it is convenient for them to scrape the dirt from the corners. The entire tool after cleaning is washed, disinfected and dried.
The rabbit cage must always be kept clean.
- In the apartment: The cage, especially with dwarf rabbits, is placed away from batteries, air conditioners. It is advisable to put it on a small stand, but not high. Otherwise, the rabbit can jump out and break to death (there were such cases). Make sure that the cell is not in the sun and not standing in a draft. It is very important!
- Outdoors: Rabbits can be taken out and kept on balconies and on the street in the summer, while creating appropriate conditions. The cage in such cases should be with solid walls on three sides, and in front – with a mesh door. The cell must be protected from wind, hypothermia and the sun. Rabbits with a gradual acclimatization feel good on the glazed balcony at a temperature of +16. She is comfortable for them. The stuffiness, on the contrary, is deadly to them. There must be a house in the cages so that the rabbit can hide and rest in it. This option is better suited for an ornamental rabbit, a dwarf rabbit should live at home in an apartment – this is still a pet and should always be near you.
Living in a cage
If you are a good owner, then create a separate cell for each rabbit.
Why do you need to do this?
Two uncastrated males in 2.5-3 months will begin to divide the territory. They will start pretty serious fights. Females begin to show aggression towards each other a little later, reaching puberty.
The maintenance of two rabbits of opposite sexes can lead to the fact that an early breeding will appear already at 12 weeks. It is deadly for the female. But sometimes there are such circumstances that it becomes necessary to settle two rabbits together. Then follow these principles:
- You can put two females from one litter in one cage, that is, sisters, but there is always a chance that they can quarrel, you just have to watch them carefully, and at the slightest signs of aggression, you can separate them.
- It is difficult to predict cohabitation of males, therefore it is better not to settle them together.
- The most successful is to keep two rabbits of different sexes together when the male is neutered. First, the male is castrated at the age of 6 months, and then they acquire a girlfriend. Pre-acquaint them in neutral territory and only then populate the joint cell.
If the rabbit spends enough time outside the cage, then it can be 70 * 40 in size, with the condition that the rabbit walks 3-4 hours a day. If the rabbit is in a cage all day, then buy a large cage. In length – 85 centimeters, in width – 45 centimeters.
Cages for dwarf rabbits (in cm). The minimum sizes are indicated.
The cage for the Colored Dwarf breed will be a convenient size of 70 centimeters long, 55 centimeters wide and 45 centimeters high. The average weight of such a rabbit is 1.3 kg.
Dwarf Angora. The dimensions of the cage are 70 * 55 * 45 cm.
Pygmy ram. The dimensions of the cage are 90 * 60 * 45.
Cages for decorative rabbits larger in size.
The most universal are 100 centimeters in length, 52 centimeters in width and 44 centimeters in height, for larger breeds – 100 * 120 * 60 and 100 * 80 * 70. The choice of cage size depends on the weight and age of the ornamental and dwarf rabbits.
Cell sales firms
Two-storey and three-story cells of the company "RABBIT" are in demand. They have a tall and retractable pallet. Easy to use.
Making a cage with your own hands
The fastest and simplest way. You can make a cage with your own hands. If you have a table, such as a coffee table, then we attach wooden frames to the table legs, with a metal grid stretched over them. The net needs to be fixed qualitatively: the ends of the wire and nails should not stick up. The animal can get hurt about them, The back wall is covered with plywood. Front fasten 2 frames with wire. Hang them on the hinges. At the bottom you can put a non-slip material. But all breeders recommend using standard cages, especially well-known companies. With their design all the features of the comfortable content of certain breeds are taken into account
Here, in general, and all about the cages for your pets. Cages for decorative rabbits are not particularly different from cells for dwarf rabbits. Their differences are minimal.
This entry is unique. There are no similar ones.
If you liked the article, then you can share it with friends or add to favorites. In addition, you thereby bring significant benefits for this site. Thank!