To engage in breeding rabbits, the first thing that is needed is to build housing for them. The easiest way is to make cages for rabbits with your own hands. For a start, the owner must determine the place for the cells. If you have not previously engaged in such buildings and do not know how to make a cage for rabbits with your own hands, pay attention to the following points. The cage can be built directly on the street or indoors, for example, in a barn or garage. Cages for rabbits, the drawings of which can be made independently, it is necessary to build a large number at once, because these animals multiply rapidly and it will be necessary to separate the females from the males.
Drawing of a single cage for rabbits.
It is often necessary to build a cage with your own hands where rabbits are bred for agricultural needs (for meat and fur). In such conditions, the owners are often interested in the constant reproduction of animals, so there should be a lot of cells. Ornamental rabbits in the apartment owners buy special ready-made cages with all the equipment necessary for housing the animal. Cage sizes for rabbits always depend on their breed. Consider how to build a cage for rabbits with your own hands.
Making your own rabbit cages is a simple process. It is necessary to choose a suitable place for construction. It should be protected from strong wind, drafts, the scorching sun. Such a place can be a barn, a garage or a part of a plot that is in the shade. Often, the owners install cells under the shadow of overgrown grapes.
Figure 1. Diagram of a two-section cage for rabbits.
Then you need to decide on the type of future cage for rabbits. Cells can be:
- Single section. These are street cages that protect animals well from wind and bad weather.
- Two-section. They are good to build indoors, it is convenient to grow a large number of rabbits here.
- Three-section. This house for breeding provides a large number of rabbits, divided into cells between them: pregnant, females, males, children. The house may include a place for playing area or walking.
For the construction we will choose the most common and often encountered option for construction – making a two-section rabbit cage with your own hands. It will consist of two tiers, or two floors.
What sizes should be houses?
Now we are determined with the sizes. In order to correctly identify them, it is necessary to understand for what sizes we build: giant, dwarf, or ordinary rocks. Consider the cage size for medium breed rabbits. Be sure to make a cage on a higher floor, otherwise it is possible for other animals to enter the rabbit house.
Figure 2. A two-section rabbit cage on the side.
The average height of the first level should be from 45 cm from the ground. If we build a multi-storey house, then from the ground to the 2nd floor will be about 95 cm, and up to the third – 1.5 m. The length of the cage depends on the number of individuals living there and their sizes – on average it is from 1.2 m to 1.5 The width of each of the two compartments is 65-80 cm, the height of the front wall is 40-55 cm, the height of the back wall must be from 30 to 45 cm. For the convenience of construction, you must make a drawing of the future cage for rabbits with your own hands.
We offer to build a large two-sectional cage for adult rabbits in 2 tiers to save space. The diagram that you see in Figure 1 shows that the height of a two-section cage will be 2.0-2.2 m, width — 140 cm, depth — 60 cm. The depth is clearly visible in Figure 2.
A large cage must stand on legs 50-70 cm high. There will be 2 cages in the rabbitry, each 70 cm long. Between the cages there must be a partition in the form of a hay feeder, on the sides there will be openings for grain. Each of the cells will have a height of 60 cm along the front wall, between tiers – 30 cm along the front wall and 40 cm along the back. The angular roof will go diagonally, which will reduce the height of the back wall by 10 cm. Tables 1 and 2 clearly show the dimensions of the future rabbit. The following tables provide drawings for future two-section rabbit dogs.
Choosing the right material
Drawing of the cage for the rabbit with baby rabbits.
The next step will be a selection of building material for the construction of the cell. Usually, the cells are built from wooden bars and puff plywood, and the net may also be suitable. The roof is also better to be made of wood, only on top to cover with plywood or wavy slate.
For the walls of the cage, very dense wood is selected to avoid drafts; smooth boards with a thickness of 20 cm or more without gaps are suitable for the floor. For the door you need to purchase a grid. On the roof, be sure to make a ledge for the visor, which will protect animals from rain and snow.
Prepare construction equipment: hammer, nails, screws, screwdriver, metal shears, tape measure, saw, Bulgarian.
Building materials for the rabbit: well-dried wooden bars for the frame, slate for the roof, chain-link mesh with small cells for the frame (size 20×20 mm or 25×25 mm). For the separation of the feeders choose a grid with a large size to make hay easier to stretch. For the bottom of the cage we take wooden slats, for the back wall of the rabbitcher a whole board or plywood of large dimensions is necessary.
Taking the correct building material and cage drawings, it will be easy to build a house for rabbits according to the finished scheme.
Tools for making cages for rabbits.
- Cut the wooden slats for the frame by the size of the drawing and fasten with screws.
- It is better to cut the sheets of plywood for the rear walls, too, and attach them to the rear walls in order to form a frame. Here you see the finished two-piece two-tier frame of wooden slats.
- Further we are engaged in laying the grid floor in the rabbit, necessarily having correctly measured the grid. It is tightened and secured with screws. On top of the net, wooden slats for the floor are attached to the edges with screws. Why not use a whole wooden flooring? Because the animals will go to the toilet, and the tree absorbs the liquid very well. Therefore, the floor of the rails quickly deteriorate, will pass urine and feces.
- The next stage is the fastening of a galvanized mesh 50×50 mm in size for the feeder. With the help of screws, we fix the grid on the sides, leaving a hole in front for loading hay.
- Next, we build a connector that divides 2 cells on each tier in the middle of a small grid-chain-link. We measure the grid size of 25×25 mm and attach it with screws. You can also use boards or a piece of plywood to separate these sides of the cage.
- Doors can be made of wooden bars and stretch galvanized fine mesh on them. You can just knock them out of the bars of the tree. Be sure to use good heck for the doors so that the rabbits do not run away.
- The final stage will always be the construction of the roof. For it, you need a material that is tightly nailed to the already finished rabbit frame. A sheet of slate is put on top, it is better to use a wavy one.
It is necessary to remember that it is not necessary to paint and process the cell, since rabbits will gnaw her.
To strengthen the corners, you can insert iron corners so that the rabbits do not run away.
The rabbit cage can be insulated for winter frost. On top of the slate or plywood, put felt, insulation, old blankets, fur coats, and under the wooden flooring, put insulation on the grid. On the cage itself lay out a lot of hay, straw, twigs. For rabbits, put special boxes, the rabbit herself will make them a warm nest there. Doors can be further upholstered with plywood to avoid cracks.
Making a home for your pets with the right material and blueprints is easy. The main thing is to treat their animals with trepidation and care, feed them in time according to a special regime, inoculate, give anthelmintic preparations for prophylaxis in spring and autumn, monitor the cleanliness of water in drinking bowls and the presence of grain in feeders, pamper in summer with fresh juicy hay and in winter harvested dry grass.