Breeding rabbits begins with arranging the place of residence. Since wild rabbits live in burrows, pets do not need special conditions. Even an aspiring breeder farmer can build a rabbitry with his own hands.
Conditions for keeping rabbits
Rabbit breeding does not require much investment. Hay, branches harvested in the summer. Vegetables are taken from their own garden. Rabbits are unpretentious creatures, not afraid of frost, do not require special food. Keep them only from drafts. Cages for domestic rabbits can be made independently from scrap materials.
Rabbit breeding does not require much investment.
Before making cages for rabbits with your own hands, you need to decide on their location. Animals must be provided with all necessary conditions. It is possible to keep cages with rabbits both on the street, and indoors (shed). It is important to create favorable conditions for their habitat:
- The location of houses choose dry, away from water, on an elevation. Permissible humidity – 60-75%.
- Rabbits must be protected from direct sunlight by placing cells in the shade of trees. In the absence of natural shade, artificial shading is created with a hedge.
- The place must be protected from the prevailing winds. Drafts are unacceptable, as they cause animal diseases.
- Rabbits need moderate cell ventilation. The air velocity should not exceed 30 m / s.
- The temperature of the room for rabbits in winter should be from 10 to 20 degrees. Therefore, the places of their detention (especially queen cells, compartments for rabbits) require warming. To prevent wind blowing, you need to wrap the cells in polyethylene.
- The approach to the rabbit’s place of residence should be free so that there are no obstacles to the distribution of feed and cleaning houses.
- For easier cleaning of waste products, a ditch is made under the cage.
- For easy cleaning of the cage, the roof is removable, hinged.
- The cages are recommended to be placed 50 cm – 1 m from the ground to prevent the bites of domestic rodents.
Note! When keeping rabbits indoors, it is necessary to plaster it, create ventilation, maintain lighting for about 10 hours. Well, if there is a window on the south side of the entire wall of the room.
Rabbit cages can be simple, bunk, three-tiered and multi-tiered. Separate housing is required for females with offspring, adults and young ones. Different cells are made for decorative animals and giants. Materials for the manufacture of houses: metal, wood, metal profile. In addition, there are winter and summer housing options for rabbits, street and apartment, monolithic and portable.
Select cell type
A house for rabbits is built according to a drawing found on the Internet or created independently. To breed rabbits, you need to build 3 or 4 cells.
Tree houses for rabbits
Parameters of standard rabbitry:
- length: from 120 to 150 cm, for young – about 90 cm;
- width – from 70 to 80 cm;
- height – from 40 to 50 cm.
Note! The main population of rabbits is contained in single-tier and two-tier cages. Three-tier structures are not particularly common because of the difficulties with manure harvesting, feeding, heating, ventilation and lighting.
Adult Rabbit Cage
One male covers an area from 0.5 to 0.8 m2. For two rabbits is a two-piece house. The length of this dwelling is from 140 to 240 cm, width – about 70 cm, height – 50-70 cm. A feeding trough is located in the middle between the sections. During the pairing section merge into one. The department for males should be quite spacious, since without movement they lose their ability to breed.
Rabbit cage with offspring
Rabbit cage with offspring
The female needs a space of 0.5-0.7 m2. The offspring is held together with the mother for fattening for about 3 weeks, then the rabbits are resettled. The house for the rabbit with children is divided into the feeding and uterine part, measuring 40×40 cm and 20 cm high, separated by a partition with a manhole. The passage should be above the floor by 10-15 cm to prevent the progeny from leaving the nest.
For each of the parts make a separate door. For the nest, the door is made solid, for the main compartment – the mesh. The uterine part should be with double walls, floor and ceiling. Straw and foam are used as insulation.
Cage for young rabbits
Slightly grown-up rabbits are kept in groups of 10-20 individuals. Young animals need an area ranging in size from 0.12 to 0.5 m2. The size of the cage for rabbits is 300×100 cm, with a height of about 60 cm. For the floor, use thin wooden slats with a coating of metal mesh. If the floor is fully mesh, then you need to make a separate warm room, insulated with straw and hay.
Cage for giants
There are many breeds of giant rabbits: Belgian, ram, butterfly, gray and others. Taking into account the fact that these animals reach a length of about 60 cm and a weight of 7.5 kg, the cages are made large. The length of the dwelling for giants should be from 90 to 150 cm, width – from 70 to 75 cm, height – from 55 to 65 cm. If there is a possibility, then it is better to provide the giants with more extensive space.
The floor should be stronger, from a thick galvanized grid. In order to avoid sagging the floor because of the weight of the rabbits under the net is crate. Bars are placed every 3 cm from each other. If the floor is solid, then the room must be cleaned at least 2 times a day.
Decorative breeds of rabbits are bred for keeping in an apartment. The cage must be 4 times the size of the pet. The standard size for dwarf rabbits is 100 cm, for larger breeds – 140 cm. The size of the side walls is 70×70 cm, the height of the back wall is 55 cm.
It is important to choose the right material. The house for the rabbit is recommended to be made of natural wood: thick plywood, wooden slats, planks and bars. Do not use chipboard, as this material quickly gathers water, swells and crumbles.
House for the rabbit is recommended to be made of wood
The roof is made of residues from the roof covering of the house (slate, ondulin, profiled sheet). The protruding wooden elements on the inside of the cage are covered with tin, so that the rabbits do not nibble them. You will need iron sheets, devices for hanging cell doors, screws, nails, devices for locking doors (bolts, hooks).
The mesh for the cage should have holes, measuring 2.5×5.0 cm or 2.5×2.5 cm. For floors, a more fine mesh, galvanized or metal, coated with plastic is used.
Rack floor gathers from the rails, located at a distance of 1.5 cm from each other, so that waste can fall into the pan. Do not exceed this parameter, as there may be damage to the limbs in animals. The cross-section of the rails is 2.5×3.0 cm. The sharp edges need to be rounded off and ground with sandpaper. The material should be smooth.
Important! Lucky, impregnation and antiseptic can not be used, as rabbits love to gnaw on wooden surfaces and can be poisoned.
Plywood is used in the manufacture of the rear wall of the cage. It can also be laid on the floor to prevent dermatitis in rabbits. Plywood from the floor is required to regularly pull out and dry.
Drawings of the main cell types
Before you make rabbitry, you need to develop a scheme. Creating a drawing is a necessary stage of building a cage with your own hands. It is made taking into account the purpose of the cell, its filling, type of construction. It is also important to consider how many rabbits need to be populated.
Drawing of the main cell type
A common option is a double cell with 2 sections. Other types of houses: with one or three sections, for the rabbit with offspring, group for young. You can use an inexpensive idea from a farmer Zolotukhin or a more advanced design from Mikhailov.
Solid wire cage
This is a simple, durable and low cost option, suitable for installation both indoors (in winter) and outdoors (in summer). A mesh is attached to the frame of a solid timber, with large cells for walls and ceilings, with smaller ones for the floor. Purification of wire cells is not difficult.
Cage from Zolotukhin
An experienced rabbit breeder Zolotukhin has developed an original method of manufacturing low-cost three-story structures without the need for drawing up a scheme. Tier cage dimensions:
- width – 200 cm, height – 150 cm, depth – 80 cm;
- door – 40×40 cm
He offers a combined type of floor, as he noted that rabbits prefer to arrange a toilet near the back wall of the dwelling. Most of it is solid, from boards or slate. Only 20 cm of the floor at the back wall are made of mesh, while it has a slope of 30 degrees (6-8 cm). The pallet is missing.
Each of the subsequent floors is shifted to the width of the mesh insert. The common front wall is sloped. Thus, the waste of rabbits from the upper tier does not fall into the lower tiers. This house does not require daily cleaning. Mothercards are absent, the rabbit makes a nest. Each of the compartments is equipped with a tilting feeder. The house is designed for 6 adult animals.
Compact single-storey or double-deck home mini-farms designed by Mikhailov allow keeping 25 rabbits per 25 m2. The distance between the houses is 70 cm. Waste is automatically collected in an airtight container. Feeders also work in automatic mode.
Electric heating of the mother liquor and water in drinking bowls is provided, which is important for the winter period. Forced ventilation, exhaust. This is an effective design, designed for an experienced rabbit grower using expensive materials. The development is suitable for breeding rabbits in an industrial volume.
Stages of cell creation
Before you start making a cage for rabbits with your own hands, all the dimensions and drawings need to be checked, to prepare materials and tools. Step-by-step instructions for making a pair cage for rabbits:
- The initial stage of fabrication of the cage consists in the construction of a framework measuring 3×0.7 m. The height in the front must be 1.2 m, the rear – 1 m. The frame is made on stable legs.
- To start building a self-made rabbit cage you need from the floor. Rack construction feature on the frame. For too cold climate, you can make a double floor with insulation. Below you can provide a removable stainless steel box for waste.
- Mounted rear wall. It should be about 10 cm below the front. The wooden frame is made of timber (5×5 section). For the rear wall plating, plywood is taken with a thickness of 1 cm or boards that are sewn on without a gap.
- The side walls can be made mesh. But rabbits feel more comfortable indoors with closed walls, so it is recommended to sheathe them with plywood or boards. It also protects animals from drafts.
- For the equipment of the two-cell type, the inside of the cage is installed according to the drawing. In the area of the septum make the feeder with a trough (wooden, plastic or stainless steel). Metal edges need to get rid of sharp protruding parts.
- The front wall is made of mesh with a hole for the door.
- The size of the frame for the door of the bars is 25×40 cm. The hand must pass freely through the opening so that you can reach the rabbit. A simple constipation is attached to the mesh door.
- The roof should be lapped to drain rainwater: 5-10 cm – in the front, 15-20 cm – on the sides and rear. In the center of the roof you need to leave a hole for laying the feed, attached a lid to it. The roof can not be made of sheet metal, as it is heated under the sun. Animals can get a heat stroke. If the roof is made removable, then you need to follow the density of its fit to avoid drafts.
Designs of cells for rabbits created a lot. They differ in the number of tiers, equipment. It remains only to choose the most suitable model. Build a simple cage under the force even beginner rabbit.