First of all, care must be taken to protect pets from the cold wind and sunlight in the summer. The roof is ideally better to do a removable type, it will facilitate the process of disinfecting the cell. So, how to make cages for rabbits with your own hands: all sizes and drawings are presented below.
Kinds of cages for keeping rabbits
The main types of cells mainly used by rabbit breeders in practice are listed below:
- a cage with a rabbit enclosure;
- standard cells with mother liquor and without it;
- a cell constructed by the method of I. N. Mikhailov;
- cell by the method of N. I. Zolotukhin.
Each cell has a standard basis – it is the walls, the floor, the ceiling and the frame, the door. Consider the cell types in more detail.
An example of a drawing of a two-section cage for rabbits can be seen in the photo below.
Regular cell (with or without queen cell)
A standard cage, as a rule, is on high legs, with a mesh floor and a pallet, with two sections separated by a partition with the possibility of transition from department to department. They are a nest for the rabbit and a place for feeding. The entrance to the cell is closed by doors. The high legs of the construction allow to protect animals as much as possible from moisture and drafts, usually they are made about half a meter. The mesh floor will make it possible for rabbit products not to linger in the cage, with the help of a pallet everything is easily removed and the animals are kept clean. Such cells can be met very often, they require minimal cost and a small amount of materials. Often designs with a grid floor are used when New Zealand rabbits are raised, as the legs of this breed of animals are resistant to damage.
Cage with aviary for walking rabbits
It is a usual cage (discussed above) made of a wooden frame, often with legs, and an open-air cage is attached to such a cage.
Given the mobility of pets and the love of an active lifestyle, the availability of a place for walking has a very positive effect on the health of rabbits and increases their reproductive qualities. In the summer months it allows animals to enjoy fresh grass and soak up the morning sun. It is necessary to take into account all the details so that the pets could not escape from the aviary and the cats or mice did not climb up to them.
Cages for rabbits do it yourself: drawings by Zolotukhin
The main difference of such a cell from other structures is as follows: there is no queen cell for the rabbit. It is assumed that the best option would be if she herself chooses a suitable place for herself. Feeding trough and trough are located above the entrance door. In such cells, there is no pallet and mesh floor, instead, only the back side of the structure is covered with a grid.
Use a medium-sized metal mesh. Analyzing the behavior of rabbits, you can see that they defend the need just at the back of their homes. These cells are built using slate or planks. For the manufacture of the frame and partitions used boards with a thickness of up to two sentiments. The floor and the roof is made of slate, in the absence of such – from the same boards as the cage frame. Wooden surfaces are upholstered with thin sheet metal.
Consider the construction of such a cell step by step:
The first floor of the structure should be located at a distance of fifty centimeters from the ground to protect rabbits from moisture and cold. The cage frame itself is made using four two-meter beams, the width of the frame should be two meters in finished form, the depth – eighty centimeters. Thus, lined up three floors.
- The floor of each floor must be made with a slope of five centimeters to the back side of the cage, in order to allow the flow of animal feces. Each floor is divided into two half wooden slats, the distance between them should be about thirty centimeters, in the future there will be a sennik. Walls of construction are made of wooden planks. Each floor is half covered with a board or slate, the resulting gap is closed with a fine grid.
- The back wall must be made of a moisture-proof material, polycarbonate is well suited, it withstands high humidity, it does not deteriorate and does not rot. The top floor grille ends and a polycarbonate sheet is attached to it under a slope.
- Doors in a cage is convenient to do one common to all floors, metal hooks are mounted on the door.
- Additionally, you can equip each floor side doors for fattening, on each door, you must attach the valve.
Considering that rabbits love to nibble everything and do it well, each inner corner is upholstered with metal to protect it.
The roof of the cage is made in such a way that it protrudes at least five centimeters from the general part of the frame from all sides in order to avoid rain water entering the room to the pets.
Cages for rabbits according to the method of Mikhailov
The cages for rabbits according to the Mikhailov method are the most complex and expensive, but at the same time the most convenient to use. They provide a single waste system for the vital activity of rabbits, heating of the mother liquor with baby rabbits and rabbit, separate shelves for animals and a ventilation system. Their main feature is sectional – they include from two to four separate sections with a single compartment for the collection of waste of rabbits.
The first cells of this kind were designed for two adult animals, the improved constructions were designed for several young rabbits or two young rabbits awaiting posterity. There are bunk and single-tier cells. The construction of this type of cage is tied to the cardinal points, for protection from cold wind, the back wall is made deaf and located to the north. In addition to the back side, the other three are made of mesh material. Be sure to include a mechanism for heating the mother liquor, provided for ventilation of the premises.
The cage floors according to Mikhailov’s method are made of slats laid diagonally. To simplify the design, conventionally, these cells are divided into three parts:
- upper, consisting of one or two tiers;
- bottom – hermetic part for manure assembly;
Thanks to the base part, the whole structure is fixed on the ground, without it the cage can roll over. The total height of the legs – 140 cm, at a distance of 40 cm from the ground install additional beams for the most secure fixation. Feeding troughs and drinking bowls for rabbits are located inside the building, queen cells – in the center. To perform such a design with your own hands, you must have the correct drawing with exact dimensions. The size of the cage made by this method is relatively small; for two adults, the total construction area will be 1.4 square meters. The height of the building is 210 cm, the width of the sections is 80 cm each, the height is 70 cm. The angle of inclination of the lower section is 45 degrees. The cage is installed in a cage of arbitrary size, depending on the size of the section in which the pet lives. Consider the principle of building such a cage for four adult rabbits. The feeder for animals is 15 cm long, 12 cm wide, and its height is 30 cm.
So, in order to make this design at home, you must have:
- parallel bars;
- metal mesh;
- automatic drinkers for pets;
- mother liquor heater;
- box for animal feces;
- self-tapping screws;
- nail sizes;
- iron sheet;
- material to protect the inner corners;
Consider the construction of such a cell step by step. For an example for a detailed description of the construction we take a single-tier cell in three sections. Having understood the principle of the method, it will be quite easy to finish the upper floors afterwards. We assemble the cage frame, in accordance with the required dimensions and drawings.
- We begin to build a frame with a frame, then we build the cage itself and lay the floor in it diagonally along the diagonal. We separately prepare the doors for the cage, install them, without forgetting about the valves.
- Inside the residential premises we install automatic drinkers for animals, hang outside prepared drinkers outside (made also in accordance with the dimensions of the drawings).
- The mother cage for rabbits and rabbits is separated by a partition, in which the door for exit is suggested. Do not forget that in the queen should be as dark as possible, for the comfort of newborns rabbits.
- We make the roof, we strengthen the slate with the help of screws.
- We make a pitched surface for manure in the form of a funnel rectangular type. Under the funnel is set capacity for collecting waste and waste products of rabbits.
The important point in such cages is that small rabbits are not separated from the mother. They are constantly with her in the heated mother liquor and have the opportunity to get breast milk for as long as possible, which greatly improves the immunity of animals.
Mikhailov’s method is based primarily on the fact that rabbits do not directly contact a person, for them it is very serious stress. The idea of such an automatic home, where pets have round-the-clock access to the trough and watering system, has allowed to achieve incredible results. Rabbits living in these cells, practically do not get sick, multiply well and gain weight very quickly. There are even four-month individuals weighing up to six kilograms.