The content of decorative rabbits at home is gaining popularity. Lovely pets become great friends for children and adults. Most of the breeds have a nice appearance, attractive colors, friendly character. But in order for the pet to be healthy and to please the owners for many years, it needs all the necessary living conditions, and above all – the right home. What cages for dwarf rabbits are needed and how to make them by hand, let’s talk in our article.
Dimensions of the rabbit house should correspond to the size and lifestyle of the pet. Ornamental rabbits are much smaller than ordinary household breeds, their weight rarely exceeds two and a half kilograms. Some sandstone rocks, which are often kept as decorative, grow to an average of five kg. If a pet walks around the apartment every day for at least 3-4 hours, for example, in a special paddock, then you can save on cell size. If the rabbit spends most of the day in the house, its living space should be at least one meter in length and sixty centimeters in width.
The height of the cage is calculated from the requirements that the animal can freely rise on its hind legs. For decorative rocks that are not heavier than two kilograms, you can purchase a cage with a size of 80 to 40 centimeters at a height of 30-35 cm.
The ideal option experts call home, which is four times the size of the animal itself. With the content of two individuals, this area increases by half.
Another popular option is an organic glass house of the type of an open-air cage with a pedestal bottom. But this option is not quite suitable for eared animals, as it prevents good air circulation. It is desirable that the walls and ceiling of the cage were made of galvanized metal rods. But metal cells, where the rods are covered with paint, are dangerous: fluffies often gnaw the rods, and particles of paint can get inside the body.
Bottom and pan
The main rule of keeping a pet is timely cleaning. Since no one wants an unpleasant smell in the house, it should be carried out at least once a week. So, choosing a cage for a decorative rabbit, it is important to consider the convenience of cleaning. To this end, many acquire cells with a mesh bottom and a tray. But this option is bad for the health of pets. The fact is that rabbits do not have special protective pads on their paws, therefore any hard coating leads to flattening and inflammation of the paws.
For the pet fit cage with a high plastic tray that is easily removed, washes and does not absorb dirt and odor. The bottom of the pallet is covered with soft bedding (hay, sawdust). After the pet has accustomed to the tray, at the bottom you can put a special soft mat.
It is important not only to choose the right cell, but also to equip it. The area of the rabbit room is divided into two zones:
- recreation area – a house or other convenient shelter is installed there;
- activity zone – occupies most of the cage, and here are placed a tray (more convenient in the corner), a bowl for dry food, a nursery for hay, an automatic drinking bowl.
A cage for a decorative rabbit with your own hands is a profitable solution for those who love to make. It is made quickly and simply from the usual materials available to all. For such a self-made design, it is easy to choose the required size and individual design. However, it is important to consider all the requirements that we talked about above. Consider a simple instruction in more detail.
Required materials and tools:
- drawing (finished or made independently);
- plywood sheets (chipboard);
- self-tapping screws;
- sheet metal (thickness 0.2 mm);
- wooden slats;
- galvanized metal mesh;
- drill hammer;
- file, scissors;
- sandpaper fine grain.
- Before you make a cage, for proper operation, you must prepare a drawing. You can take it ready, if the dimensions fit, or make your own version.
- First the floor is made. In our case, we offer a standard version with a size of 90 by 60 cm. Cut the workpiece from a sheet of chipboard. The size of the floor should correspond to the dimensions of the cage – according to the drawing.
- From a sheet of tin cut the floor of the same size. For convenience, attach a ready-made sheet of plywood. Tin is used to protect chipboard from getting wet and quickly deteriorating. In addition, this material simplifies cleaning.
- We turn to the manufacture of walls. We make one of them (back) out of plywood, the rest are made of mesh. Using the drawing, cut out the back wall. The standard version of the wall with a width of 60 cm and a height of 45 cm. We attach it to the floor with self-tapping screws.
- Cut out the rest of the cell structure from the grid. For the convenience of cleaning the roof is desirable to make removable. It is made of plywood or mesh on the hinges. In the case of a non-separable design, the door is mounted on the front wall.
- The door is made of wooden slats and mesh. Its size must match the size of the rabbit, so that he could freely get out of the cage. The best option for dwarf rocks – 30 to 30 cm. Hang the door on the hinges.
- All the details of the rabbit house are thoroughly sanded with sandpaper. It is important that they are smooth and smooth, without chipping or roughness. It is impossible to paint or varnish a cage or any part of its construction. Any coating is toxic to a small pet.
Chipboard and tin sheet are considered not very good and durable materials for housing rabbits. Moreover, if the pet is not accustomed to the tray, litter is necessary in the cage. The above type of homemade design is not suitable for placing litter.