Rabbit breeding is a rather popular branch of agriculture in our country. This is explained by the high value of dietary meat and rabbit fur in the market. And the content of these cute mammals is not such a troublesome thing.
Rabbits are known to be productive creatures. The farmer is required to provide them with conditions suitable for reproduction. This article describes how to be a barn for rabbits and how you can equip it with your own hands, using the drawings.
No matter how unpretentious the heroes of this article may be, they still have their own requirements for future housing. Before proceeding to the selection and arrangement of such, it is recommended to study the characteristics of a particular breed selected for cultivation.
Why for most types of rabbits the most suitable option is a barn, and not a summer cell? The fact is that this animal is quite thermophilic, afraid of moisture and temperature extremes. The average temperature in the rabbitry should be about 15 ° C. Consequently, before the rabbit wintering the owner will need to either warm the cage or build a covered room. If the pets get cold, feel discomfort, their productivity will noticeably decrease, they will become sluggish and start losing weight. In addition, in conditions of low temperature and drafts, rabbits can become seriously ill; the food in the feeders will freeze and turn into unsuitable for ingestion.
Features of arrangement
Cleaning the summer cage during the cold season is a rather problematic process. Sewage freezes, and it becomes difficult to wash or tear them off, so the breeders are advised to populate pets in covered areas.
Arrangement of a shed for rabbits
An ordinary barn is suitable as a rabbit, the average area of which should be 1 × 1.5 m. However, dimensions may vary depending on the size of the breed, their characteristics and the total number of pets. By design, such premises are divided into two-tier and multi-storey. The same cells can be placed inside enclosed spaces. Here is a list of general recommendations for arranging a year-round rabbit dwelling:
- durable material (brick, foam blocks), protecting walls from drafts and other external influences;
- the presence of ventilation: the rabbit needs fresh air, free from harmful fumes;
- thermal insulation of the room for the winter season;
- safety assurance: avoid sharp corners;
- a shed roof is a practical option that, besides, looks good: a farmer can dry hay on such a roof, thereby saving space inside the building;
- sloping floor to optimize the cleaning process;
- steel-mesh doors as a combination of reliability and the ability of sunlight to penetrate the shed;
- manure pit;
- division into sections (females / males / juveniles) with a certain size, each of which will be equipped with clean and always full feeding troughs and drinkers;
- availability of grounds for walking young.
When building a barn for rabbits with your own hands you need to act in a clear pattern. Below you will find step-by-step instructions that will help with the systematization and direct implementation of the construction plan.
The best option when choosing a rabbit’s place will be the northern side of the courtyard, located on a small hill and protected from the winds. It is not recommended to have a number of water sources, because you have to dig a hole during construction.
It is very good if a tree grows near the rabbitcher, under which you can shelter in hot weather.
The rabbit size does not exceed the size of the dwelling for other domestic animals and birds.
Stages of construction
The list of tools that will be needed during the construction of the shed under the rabbitry include the most ordinary nails, hammer, mesh and plywood. Any breeder enough to arm a drawing and proceed directly to work.
First you need to calculate the required area with all sizes, taking into account the number of rabbits and their gender / age. The space for the cages must be spent economically, and the animals must be left with sufficient free space. In the drawings, you should plan the passage between the enclosures. A more detailed outline of the future design is presented in the video.
The stages of construction are as follows:
- Lay the frame. It should rise not less than 80 cm above ground level.
- Build walls, upholstered with boards or sheets of plywood. The material may be different depending on financial possibilities; the most democratic option is the foam block. The main thing is that there are no gaps between the walls.
- Being engaged in a floor, it is important to think over which option will be more convenient: continuous or from laths. The second option is more practical due to considerations of hygiene and the absence of drafts, especially if you have a removable tray at the bottom. The distance between the slats should be about 15 mm.
- The roof is recommended to be made durable so that in winter it is able to protect rabbits from the cold. A convenient option for the warm season – a folding roof. You also can not forget to attach a ladder to climb up. Through the hatch in the roof you can throw hay and grass to the rabbits.
- Divide the room into sections. Cages in the ventilated rooms cannot be established under a ceiling: rabbits can overheat. Rabbit cages usually come in several forms – their choice depends on the breed of rabbits, their age, size and other characteristics. Usually in the middle of the room are placed cages with rabbits, along the walls – with the young. The optimal number of tiers – 2-3. Such a system will allow the owner to economically distribute the area of the barn. Only need to install the cells in such a way that the rabbit waste does not fall from the top tiers to the bottom. You can find a photo on the Internet that tells you which option is the most convenient location for the aviary.
- The window area should be 8-10% of the floor area. Rabbits need natural light. Additionally, you can install artificial.
- Treat the walls of the room with a solution of decay and deformation of the material. This is especially true of wooden buildings. Brick, although they are quite cumbersome, in this plan seem to be more reliable.
- Equip a 3 cm deep font in a darkened corner and a vacuum system to continuously provide it with water.
- To allocate additional space for storing inventory, feed and other things that may be useful on the farm.
Rabbits may well be kept in the same barn with chickens. The main condition is that these pets should be walked separately.
Build a rabbit with his own hands is not so difficult. The main thing is to follow the recommendations of the specialists, arm yourself with the drawings and preview the thematic video, which clearly shows the stages of the process.