Breeding rabbits is a fascinating and profitable occupation, however, wondering where to start, you must first create acceptable living conditions for these cute furry creatures. Proper construction of the cage for rabbits is one of the components of the success of this event. To fulfill your plans, you need to study the needs of animals and the nuances of building housing for them.
How to choose the right cell type
Farmers choose different housing conditions for their pets. Rabbits can be kept in cages, pits, open-air cages or make grazing for several months in grazing. However, it is cells are considered the most convenient housing for these animals, because it allows you to control the diet and reproduction, and also to give them preventive vaccinations in order to preserve the health of animals.
Making such housing for rabbits involves a number of features. The fact is that the breeding of such animals requires the separation of males, females and young animals:
- Cages for males should be spacious enough, their dimensions are usually 70-85 cm in length and 40-42 cm in width. The height of the front wall – 50 cm, and the back – 35 cm.
- Accommodation for rabbit is selected depending on the age and condition of the animals. For young females, individual cells of 50 * 100 * 30 cm are preferred. If we are talking about rabbit mattes preparing for the offspring, then the cells are constructed taking into account future offspring, and their dimensions are 70 * 45 * 50 cm along the front wall and 35 cm – back.
- Young animals that require additional fattening, make the size of 50 * 70 * 30 cm.
In addition, the living quarters for rabbits should contain a separate compartment for animal rest. It is called the nesting department and is separated from the main room by a partition 10 cm high from the floor. The partition must be upholstered with tin, so that your pets do not chew it.
Where to install
The choice of location for the construction of the rabbiter plays an important role, since it is a prerequisite for the proper development and healthy growth of animals. You can arrange cells in open space or in a room. But whatever option you prefer, you need to create a comfortable environment for eared animals.
Humidity in the place of keeping animals should not exceed 60-70%. Consequently, the cells are set in a dry place, away from water. Also recommend set them on wooden or metal legs, since it not only protects rabbits from moisture and the bites of small rodents, but also makes it easier to care for them.
Rabbits do not like direct sunlight, therefore, rabbitks outside should be installed in the shade of trees or equipped with an artificial canopy that scatters light. When installing cells in the room, it must be equipped with a wide window on the south side. Also, rabbits do not like drafts, because they are the cause of frequent diseases of animals. The wind speed at the site where animals live should not exceed 30 m / s.
We must not forget about airing the room where rabbits live. The temperature of the air in which the rabbits are kept should not fall below +10 degrees, even in winter. Therefore, if the cells are in open space, they need to be insulated.
How to build
How to make a cage for rabbits? Of course, beginner farmers can purchase ready-made rabbit breeding cages. However, it is better to build them yourself, taking into account the peculiarities of your pets and the conditions they need. Making housing for their animals is not difficult if you decide on the configuration and the necessary materials.
The room for animals can be made of waste material, but professionals advise you to stop your choice on the following components:
- For walls it is best to use boards or plywood. not less than 1 cm thick
- The frame and legs are made of wooden bars. For support, it is desirable to use from bars with a cross section of 10 * 10 cm.
- The grid is laid on the floor with small cells.. In this case, note that the galvanized mesh for chicken coops will not work for you, because they will not bear the weight of rabbits;
- The roof is usually made of the same material as the wall.. However, if the house for rabbits is planned to be placed outside, then the roof is sheathed with any roofing material.
All material for the future cell should be of high quality and smooth, therefore dangerous, traumatic, foreign objects should be pulled out or treated with emery paper. Remember that saving on building materials is not worth it, otherwise the cells will be cramped, and this is bad for reproduction and animal health.
Learn how to build a gazebo with a barbecue.
Drawings, designs, sizes
One of the main problems faced by the novice farmer when building a cage for rabbits is the search or acquisition of the relevant project. ATThere are a lot of ariants for rabbit building, and the choice depends on the number, sex and condition of the animals. There are cells that contain 2 adult males or 4 females. In addition, the necessary premises for the rabbit with offspring, where they will live the first time after okrola.
In any case, when constructing a cage, its volume is calculated based on the fact that at least 80 cubic centimeters should be per adult rabbit, and for large breeds up to 1.5 cubic meters.
One of the available options is as follows:
Step-by-step work algorithm
To independently build a quality cage for your pets, you need adhere to the following instructions:
- Design development. It should take into account the size of the rabbits, the number of compartments and the materials from which you will build the rabbit.
- Preparation of materials. Plywood, netting and wooden bars need to be cut to fit your cell size.
- Making a cage from galvanized mesh. The grid for cells with larger cells is used for walls and ceiling, with smaller ones for the floor. Cut scraps of the desired size will help scissors for metal. All sides of the cage, as well as the door, are fastened with fastening rings.
- Frame construction around the cage includes connecting the beams together with metal corners. For the manufacture of legs are used more durable bars, they are attached to the frame with nails and a hammer.
- Cell reinforcement with the help of plywood is made to protect the animals from weather conditions. Plywood sheets are attached to the frame with nails. After the plywood is attached to the walls and ceiling, you can cover the roof with roofing material.
- At the end of construction, you should install feeding trays in the cage, and then place your product in a safe and comfortable place for living animals.
This is a conditional algorithm that allows you to determine the sequence of actions. It may differ depending on the materials used and the cell structure.
Bunk rabbitks are fairly compact and lightweight structures that are easy to move around the yard or animal room. In such cells can be kept from 2 to 4 pets.
The total height of the cells sometimes reaches 2-2.5 m, width – 1.4-1.5 m. The recommended number of compartments is 2-3, the width of each will be about 50 cm, respectively, with a depth and height of 60 cm.
In each compartment, about 10 cm is allocated for placing the feeders, it is better to place them at the edges of the structure. These dimensions are indicated approximately so that the scale is clear, but you can change the parameters depending on the number and breed of rabbits. But keep in mind that with smaller spaces, pets will be cramped.
Also read how to build a chicken coop with your own hands. The construction of a winter chicken coop is described here. Also see photos of self-made chicken enclosures. Perhaps you need information on how to make a collapsible enclosure for a dog and how to build a barn.