Most of the farmers start breeding rabbits sooner or later. Rabbits attract attention with their unpretentiousness, they do not require complicated and costly care, and in literally a short time their livestock may increase several times.
Cages for rabbits do it yourself
There are a number of advantages of making the design yourself:
What are the cages for rabbits
Today, there are so many options for making cages for rabbits with your own hands. Regardless of the type of nursery and the materials used, they all have a number of essential elements: the frame; floor, ceiling and walls; door for the possibility of care.
In the majority of cases timber is used as a frame. Can be used when trimming the frame plywood, mesh, boards. There are the following types of designs;
- classical cells with or without mother liquor;
- one-story and two-story structures;
- designs with an open-air cage for the possibility of walking;
- Mikhailov cells I. N .;
- N. Zolotukhin cells
What designs are most popular
Mikhailov’s design is considered one of the most difficult to manufacture, but the most advanced. In fact, such models are small farms, as they provide for the possibility of ventilation, heating of the mother liquor and drinkers.
Each design is equipped unique waste disposal system, allowing to pour them into a single container. It is not recommended to start the production of such a construction without having proper skills in working with materials.
Author’s models of Zolotukhin suggest the use of plywood or flat slate instead of a mesh for the floor. In this design no pallet. Waste disposal occurs due to a special floor construction, which is installed at a slight slope. At the same time, a grid from 10 to 20 cm wide is mounted at the back wall. It is through this grid that rabbit waste is removed.
Zolotukhin design provides for ease of maintenance of pets tipping trough. Pregnant females are not provided with a specially designed nest. At the right moment, the board fences off part of the room in which a large amount of hay is placed. It is believed that the female herself, if necessary, will make a comfortable nest of hay.
What to consider when making
There are a number of significant nuances that must be taken into account when making a structure with your own hands, so that no further problems arise. In the manufacture should consider the following rules:
- Rabbits are rodents, so it is advisable to protect the wooden frame of the interior of the room with metal, which allows extending the life of the structure to 10 years.
- It is impossible to use antiseptic preparations for protection of wooden parts, as if such substances get into the organism of pets, they become poisoned.
- The rear wall of the structure is always made deaf, since the presence of drafts is unacceptable when keeping rabbits.
- It is recommended to make the floor out of a net or bars with gaps of 0.5-1 cm, since this design causes the feces to fall down, thereby facilitating the cleaning process.
Should be considered features of the installation site. The place must be protected from strong gusts of wind, as rabbits cannot stand drafts. It is undesirable to install cages in open areas on the south side, as in summer the animals will constantly experience excessive heat.
The roof must be secure protected from moisture, therefore, when installed outdoors, it is recommended to use slate as a roofing material. You should not use a metal coating, as in the presence of sunlight such a roof will heat up very much and will cause discomfort for animals.
Required Cell Requirement
The fundamental rule of the effective breeding of rabbits is the maintenance of only unisexual animals in each cage of approximately the same age and weight.
Adult animals are placed in single-section or two-section rooms. Pregnant females and females with small rabbits are placed in special constructions with queen mothers.
All details of the internal structure of the cell must be smooth and safe, so that the animals could not get hurt and harm themselves. When constructing a cage for keeping females and small rabbits, it is recommended to additionally warm the walls of the nest with any thermal insulation material.
At the same time, the insulation must be insulated with a film, which will allow the material not to draw in water. If desired, in the uterine compartment can be a heating system that will save the offspring in a period of low temperatures.
Materials for the manufacture of cells
The list of necessary materials depends on the selected design drawing. In most cases, the following materials are used:
- For the formation of the frame is taken bar 50×50 mm.
- For construction trim mesh with 25×25 mm cells or thin plywood.
- For the floor mesh with cells 25×25 mm or 10×25 mm.
- Fasteners for doors.
Recommended structural dimensions
Novice farmers should know that a single cage is not enough for breeding rabbits. For successful breeding, you must have at least three cells. With a large number of rabbits, it is recommended to make double cells with accommodation in two floors, which saves space and materials.
Experienced rabbit breeders recommend making cages for rabbits given the following sizes:
Young individuals are kept in small groups and one animal should have at least 0.12 m 2 of area, the recommended length of the structure should be 200–300 cm long, 100 cm wide, 35–60 cm high.
Rabbit cage frame built on legs, what allows to facilitate further work on cleaning of waste of pets. The recommended height of the legs for cells in the room is 35 cm. The recommended height of the legs for cells outside the room is 70-100 cm.
Cell manufacturing options
When choosing a specific production option, the following should be considered: age characteristics of pets; number of livestock; the specific characteristics of the rabbit breed; conditions of detention
Simplest mother cell variant. The design assumes the presence of paired cells, which is an excellent solution that allows you to significantly save material and space in the room. It is based on a frame of 3×0.7 meters, a height of the front of 1.2 meters and a height of 1 meter behind. Along the edges of the construction is expected placement of the queen cell.
The following materials are required for the work:
- 2 sheets of thin plywood measuring 1.5×1.5 meters and 10 mm thick;
- 10 pieces of bars 30×50 mm, length 3 meters;
- 3 meters of metal mesh 15×15 mm;
- self-tapping screws of 30 mm and 70 mm.
- We assemble the frame on the legs according to the drawing.
- We fix the net in the lower part of the structure, while the net from the side of the queen can not be brought to the end of the frame, since the edge of the frame will contain queen-pieces with a plywood floor.
- From plywood we cut out the back wall and attach with screws.
- Form the room of the mother liquor. To do this, you need to attach a vertical bar, a wall and make a manhole. Attach the bars and the roof of the queen cell.
- We make feeders. To do this, we fix a bar in the middle of the construction, to which we attach 2 feeders with a height of 7 cm and a width of 30 cm. We fix two bars at a distance of 20 cm as guides over the feeder.
- We install a hay feeder near the main feeder, making it from steel wire.
- We close the upper part of the structure with plywood. On the roof we make a small hole for laying hay.
- We form doors from a bar of 30 x 50 cm in size and we wrap the backing with a net. We fasten the door on the frame.
The traditional version of the cell do it yourself
Bunk cells are easy to manufacture and easy to operate. The traditional version of the cage for rabbits provides the following dimensions: for keeping young rabbits – 50x70x30 cm; for keeping adults – 50x100x30 cm.
For the manufacture will need bars, plywood, mesh and fixing materials. The design assumes the presence of free-standing room and a blind corner, in which rabbits can hide if necessary. The height of the front of the cage is 55 cm, and the back 30 cm.
The length of the cage is 50 cm wide and 50 cm long. The box is made 25 cm long and 50 cm wide. The box is sheathed with sheets of plywood, and a small door is fastened on the front side. From the side of the walk is a small manhole 17×17 cm.
A mesh is attached to the bottom of the cage, which allows waste to pass freely through it. From the bottom of each cell is recommended to make a pallet.
Solid wire cage
One of the most simple and cost-effective options for making your own cell. This design is suitable for keeping in warm rooms, in which there are no drafts. The advantage of its use is simplicity and accessibility for sanitary works.
You can make the design of the following materials:
- for the walls and the top of the grid 2.5×5 cm;
- for the floor mesh 2,5×3,5 cm;
- bars or metal corners.
The manufacturing process is reduced to the formation of the frame from bars or metal corners according to the size of the drawing and tensioning around the perimeter of the grid. The length of the legs should be from 50 to 70 cm. To be able to care for the animals, a cover is made on the top of the cover, which is also covered with a net.