Components and cell layout for rabbits largely determine the further fate of pets. Anyone who wants to grow healthy animals with good reproductive performance should take a responsible approach to choosing a future home for them.
Cage for rabbits do it yourself
Of course, it is much easier to purchase ready-made automated cells, but experienced breeders say that only with their own hands can they build the most comfortable housing that takes into account all the characteristics of a particular breed of rabbits.
Required materials and cage design
Each step-by-step instruction for creating a rabbit farm should have a description of the work on the construction of a frame, at least four walls, a floor, a roof and doors. The material for the cell can serve as a tree or mesh, but metal sheets, including those made from galvanized steel, are strictly prohibited for this purpose. The fact is that in the summer in the iron cage it will be very hot, and in the winter, on the contrary, it will be very cold.
For the construction of the frame and window frames are perfect thick bars or profile pipes. When making a drawing of a cage for rabbits, it is necessary to take into account that the feet should be at least 40 cm high. If the structure is located in an open space, then it is better that its height be approximately 1 m from ground level. First, the maintenance of such a cage for rabbits will be much easier, and secondly, it will be more difficult for animals to get to predators.
Material for walls and ceiling, you can choose different:
- plywood sheets;
- several wooden boards;
- piece of grid.
Optimal flooring materials are a batten or a grid. For buildings located on the street under the open sky, an additional roof is needed, which will reliably protect from snow and rain. It is very important that all the compartments are smooth and do not pose a danger to the inhabitants of the cage, then splinters or sharp metal ends of the grid will not cause harm to the animals.
If there is little space on the plot where the farm is located, and the livestock is large, it makes sense to build multi-tiered rabbitks, the height of which is several times greater than normal. Often for these purposes they use a two-tier structure, but in some cases even a three-tier one cannot accommodate all pets.
Rabbit dwelling is of several types, distinguished by the type of construction of the cage for rabbits. Most popular models:
- usual rabbitry,
- with a walk
- rabbit cells maklyak.
The first option involves the construction on high legs with two compartments: the feeder and the uterine compartment. Between these parts it is necessary to install a solid type partition with a manhole. How to do it right, you can always look at the video.
Doors for nests should be made of solid wood cloth, and for feeding zones – from the grid on the frame. It is possible on the ground near the nursery to build a open-air cage with a separate entrance. It is necessary to allocate as much territory as the land area allows. These portable single-tier structures are very light, and if desired, you can move the two-tier building at any time. For example, if the rabbitry stands in the open air in the summer, then in the winter it is easy to place it in the shed, where it is much more comfortable for rabbits to survive.
Mating in nurseries, where the couple has the opportunity to walk, is more productive than in ordinary cells, because it is no secret that active movement in natural conditions has a beneficial effect on the general health of not only the hare, but also the domesticated rabbit, and in particular on reproductive performance rabbit, so if the plans of breeding eared fluffies, making an enclosure is necessary.
Low cost, described above cages for rabbits with their own hands are often created and used by non-professional rabbit breeders in their backyards, but nurseries developed by Mikhailov have a technically more advanced system – it’s not so easy to build such a cage for rabbits.
The Mikhailovskaya farm has its own ventilation system, special shelves for fattening rabbits, a mother of bread for breeding rabbits, heated drinkers, but, most importantly, the difference between the rabbit cages made by Mikhailov with his own hands is a unique waste disposal system of its kind.
Zolotukhin believes that it is better if the sections have not mesh or slatted floors, as usual, but plywood or flat slate. The use of such materials makes the pallet completely useless thing, so it is absent in its cells.
Covering the floor is at a small angle of inclination to the back wall, along which a piece of netting about 15 cm wide is attached. Thanks to this design, the animal excrement slides down into the holes and is safely removed through them.
Another innovation of the author is the equipment in the nurseries of tilting feeders, which for cleaning does not necessarily completely remove their cages, they just tilt and wash, then a specially installed spring will return the containers to their place. In order for the rabbit to not get out of the cage for rabbits through the through hole in the folding feeder, it is necessary to divide it into 2 parts using a grid.
With regard to the department for the mother liquor, then, according to Zolotukhin, in the summer it is absolutely not necessary. You can simply isolate yourself the required size of the area with a profile board or a piece of plywood and fill it with hay. Rabbits themselves will take over all further work on the creation of nests.
Zolotukhinsky cages for rabbits
This method of breeding offspring is considered as close as possible to natural conditions. As a result, rabbits produce good immunity to infectious diseases.
After the kids grow up a little, the board is removed and the cell arrangement changes: it becomes very spacious. With the onset of winter in the previously enclosed compartment will need to put a warm house for the rabbit and her offspring.
To carry out the construction and construction of such nurseries, it does not matter whether they are single-tiered or multi-tiered, no special skills or expensive building materials are needed. But without a grid of metal, boards, flat slate, plywood or drywall, corrugated pipes and sheet metal to assemble the construction will not work.
Making a skeleton of cages for rabbits, their frames and doors are made of wood. Slate or plywood and netting are used as flooring. Doors feeders are also made of the grid. Thin metal sheets are used to beat up bars and other wooden protrusions.
The nest should be located so that it does not fall into direct sunlight and drafts, which have a destructive effect not only on the rabbits, but also on the adults. That is why the door at the uterine compartment is always solid. The entrance to the nest of the cage for newborn young rabbits must be provided with a high threshold so that the young do not accidentally fall out of it (the minimum height is 10 cm).
So that the waste from the upper tier does not fall into other departments, but spill out, make a cage for rabbits so that the back wall of the second floor is at a right angle, and the lower one is tilted.
Maklyak-6 – an improved version of the usual rabbit cage, it is both one and two-story. To make the perfect cage for their pets at home, the author of the idea took the best from the Zolotukhinskaya, Mikhailovsky and other rabbit cell schemes developed by the rabbit breeders popular in our country. The result is a complex, efficient cell structure. Under the Maklyakov scheme, mainly houses made of chipboard, standing on the street all year round. If you want to place your rabbits in the barn, it is better to look at other options.
The main features and advantages of the design:
- Modularity. A farmer can easily change the purpose of each section. For example, the royal for the rabbit really remake in a place for fattening.
- Drinkers and feeders have heating. So, even in extreme cold, warm drinking water and fresh food are always available to animals.
- Waste is removed by an advanced system. In such conditions, simplified operation rabbit.
- Heated uterine compartment. It is always warm and comfortable in the house, even if the temperature is below freezing outside.
If the farmer has on hand detailed drawings telling how to build a cage for rabbits, a sketch, dimensions and the correct height of this structure, he can try to make and arrange such a not very simple, but very comfortable rabbit farm.
For the manufacture of such a design necessarily need experience and certain carpentry skills. It is advisable first to study in detail the photo and video materials, which tells how to make a Maklak cell and what features should be considered during the work.
Making a cage yourself
Step by step instructions on how to build a comfortable rabbit cage:
- Take the standard wooden bars 50 x 50 mm and assemble the frame. In those places where the feeders will be located, fix the grid of metal, then to make it a floor.
- Install the back wall and mount the floor in the queen cells for okrol from solid material.
- They take a sheet of plywood and close the side walls of the nursery, cut out manholes in partitions with a diameter of about 20 cm, so that both females and young animals have the opportunity to move around the rabbit, fix the partition to the uterine compartment.
- Attach to the cover sockets.
- To divide the nursery into sections, a bar is mounted in the center of its frame to which the feeders are attached.
- Turn the design and slats begin to lay the mesh floors.
- They install feeder bins and separate space for coarse feed. As the frame can be used as rods, and the grid section of 20 x 50 mm.
- Mount the roof of the nursery and attach the sliding door to the feeders.
- Attach to the frame of the door of the grid, and to the nests – solid with valves.
- For street nurseries, an additional roof is made of waterproof material. To this end, a rack frame is attached to the existing roof, and slate or other roofing material is placed on it. The roof structure must have an inclination angle in order for the precipitates to roll off the rabbit.
Before you make a cage for rabbits with your own hands out of improvised means, you must draw it on a piece of paper. The drawing should take into account all the features of the future design and contain the dimensions.
Such a cage for rabbits is convenient because, thanks to a large feeding bunker, you can immediately load a lot of feed into it (6 kg or more). Installation of one or several additional tiers is always available in these nurseries. It should be borne in mind that it is necessary to manufacture and fix pallets for waste collection under each floor. In addition, options with too many tiers are not very preferable. In order for rabbits (especially young animals) not to get stuck in the net, it is necessary to use a material with a cell size less than 2 x 2 cm when making a nursery.
- It is necessary to choose in advance where the farm will be located, and only then begin the construction of permanent cages for rabbits. If the rabbitry is located on the street, its inhabitants should be reliably protected from strong wind and precipitation. Experienced farmers do not recommend placing cells in the south of the plot, as it is very sunny there and the animal may get sick from the intense heat.
- The optimal size of rabbit cells and each of its tiers is determined depending on the purpose of the breed and the number of rabbits. For example, the happy owner of giants should provide 3-4 times more space compared to medium-sized pets for large rabbits in the meat direction.
- It is better if the roof is removable: in this case, it is easy to sanitize each tier.
- When making a cage, it is necessary to calculate its dimensions so that one adult fluffy should be kept in a separate compartment. The exception is the womb: it must be kept with baby rabbits.
- If pets spend the winter in the rabbitry in the open air, it is better to immediately spread the floors of wood. The solid lower part should be fixed on the pallet principle, so that in which case it can always be easily extended. It is better to make the upper part of the floor from a board in 1.6 cm increments.
- It is much more convenient to clean the uneaten food and dirty water, if you make the feeders and drinkers removable.
- If you plan to keep young offspring in the street in the winter frost, the farm should have well-insulated walls. This can be done using any insulating material, for example, foam. So that because of the insulation the humidity in the cells does not decrease, before installation it is hermetically wrapped with food or any other film. Maternity departments need to be additionally equipped with a heating system so that the litter on which the female and several of her rabbits will sit is always at a comfortable temperature.
- Decorative rabbits and representatives of dwarf breeds should make completely different dwellings. In addition, they necessarily need an aviary on the ground. Usually small lop-eared fluffies live in beautiful spacious houses, where there are comfortable ladders and shelves.
Making a home for rabbits with your own hands can also teach children to take care of our smaller brothers. You can hand the child a brush, let him paint the outer walls of the cell. So he join the physical labor and bind to the animal.
Recommendations for the construction of nurseries
Choosing one of these houses, you will not have to wrestle with how to build a good cage for fluffy and where to get a detailed photo instruction for this. In this case, it is also important to make a house with sawdust or other material, put a feeder and a watering bowl there and throw twigs that love to gnaw the animals.