Breeding rabbits is very profitable and not very difficult task. They do not need special care and extraordinary conditions of detention, which is why a pair of eared animals can be made at their summer cottage.
Growing rabbits engaged a large number of novice farmers. And first of all, what should I get is cages for domestic rabbits. They are not only purchased, but you yourself can easily make rabbit cages with your own hands.
How to make a cage for rabbits with your own hands
These eared little animals do not need special conditions of detention. It is for this reason that it is not necessary to buy cells: you can build them yourself. The advantages of homemade houses:
- When building you can take into account the characteristics of the room, its location, as well as conditions of detention.
- Less expensive.
- Rabbit cells with their own hands will not be defective, but with the factory this can happen.
- You can make cells of any design.
Advantages of factory cells:
- Perfect design with the necessary conditions for the life of domestic rabbits
- In the building are drinking bowls, trays, feeders and nests.
- Constantly in the process of improvement, the design becomes more complex: by purchasing a factory cell, the farmer can be sure that this equipment is modern.
But the acquisition of finished cells quite expensive, whereas homemade rabbit cages are low cost.
Types of rabbit cells
With a serious desire to engage in the cultivation of rabbits, you need to build more than one room, but several. To provide housing for rabbits, you need build the whole complex. It is installed both in the fresh air and in the barn – it depends on the natural conditions of the region.
Cell drawings for rabbits can be developed independently, and also they can be found on the Internet or in a magazine.
Cages for keeping males. Males need to settle in individual houses. This should be done in order to avoid fights, competition for food, as well as unplanned mating. The size of the cage should not interfere with the free movement of the crawl. If males live in cramped quarters, they will soon become lazy and obese. Such effects can affect reproductive function: rabbits will not produce offspring.
Cages for content rabbit with cubs. Such cells should be spacious. They are lined up in one tier and are made up of two compartments – this is the main and mother department. In order for the rabbits not to freeze in winter, it is necessary to warm the uterine compartment.
Cages for feeding baby rabbits. Rabbits who have reached the age of 2-3 months and have not gained proper weight when fed with a rabbit will populate these cages. To give the female an opportunity to acquire new offspring, the older rabbits are deposited in a separate cage and fattened until a suitable weight is reached.
To date, there are many modifications, but still the most popular and suspension design remains two-section cage.
Making rabbit cages
House for adult animals can be built with your own hands. It will take several hours to build a dwelling, but you can be sure that the construction is correct and contains everything you need to contain rabbits. Instructions for making:
- From 4 wooden bars build the frame of the future house. The framework must be rectangular in shape, and its dimensions are relative to the width and length of the future structure;
- The house must be installed on the legs. Use 4 beams: 2 lengths equal to the height of the front wall and add 30 cm, and the rest – the height of the back wall and add 30 cm too. ). They need to be screwed to a rectangular base so that it rises above the floor level by 30 cm. This will serve as a little house with its legs.
- It is necessary to attach the grid to the rectangular base of the floor so that it covers the middle of the room. Leave a space of 35–40 cm in each side – this is necessary for nesting compartments. Using plywood, cover the floor in the nesting compartments so that it reaches the grid slightly.
- Now install the back and side walls of plywood and add the frame structure. To do this, you need to attach between the side front bars 1 long beam at the very top of the house.
- Nest compartments fence off the rest of the premises. Among these strips, as well as the back wall, you need to install dividers – plywood with holes made. These holes are designed for free movement of rabbits between the feed compartments and nests. Attach the cover to all the nests.
- The room is divided into two sections intersecting timber. Build feeders out of plywood, then screw them on opposite sides of the rail that separates the room.
- To keep the bottom firmly, you need to turn the design and fix the grid with nails and rails.
- From the 4 sheets of plywood make a bunker designed for feeders. The height of the plywood sheets should be slightly less than the structure. The bunker itself must have the shape of a letter V and be extended upwards. It is attached among the feeders in such a way that after you have filled in the food, it will easily fall into the feeders through this funnel.
- Close to the back wall, build feeders for coarse foods, such as grass and hay. In width, they should be 30 cm. For the convenience of the rabbits in eating and pulling out the grass, from both sides make partitions from wire rods.
- Attach the cover to your design, which should protrude slightly above the cage. In the place where the feeders are located, make a slider door that can be pulled out when the feed is filled. To make it more comfortable you can attach a handle to it.
- Next, attach the doors, which are made of slats, to the front wall. In the middle of the rails pull the grid. Nest compartments can be left without doors, but solid doors can also be attached.
Now your cage for rabbits is ready, it is very easy to find drawings of this type of construction.
Cages for three-month rabbits
When three months are attained, the rabbits are kept in groups of 6–8 individuals on the basis of this; using group homes. They are constructed in the same way as the previous cell.
Differ only in the fact that for more rabbits you need another feeding system.
Step by step instructions for production:
- The frame is made in the same way as the frame for adult animals. Only the division into sections there is no need. Such a house will consist only of aft and nesting compartment. By the way, it will take a nested compartment and a half times less than the feed.
- Cover the bottom of the nest compartment with a tree tree, and then fence off with plywood with holes to move from the stern compartment.
- The front part and the floor of the aft compartment should be made of the grid. The door, made with slats, is mounted in the front.
- The feeder is installed along the entire length of the aft compartment. One part of it should be in the cage, and the second – outside. It is made of mesh so that the rabbits can comfortably reach the grass. It is advised to raise it by 3-4 cm, so that the food of animals is not contaminated by waste.
In such a cell, you can simultaneously contain 12 animals, and there are ready-made drawings for the manufacture of this design.
Bunk and three-tier structures
These houses are made according to the same instructions as the two-section structures. But in this structure several cells are placed in tiers above each other. Stages of work:
- Build three rectangular frames – this is the future floor and roof.
- Secure them on the long bars. The first rectangle should be fixed on the bars so that legs 30 cm long are placed at the bottom. Attach the next rectangle 50 cm above the first and the third 10 cm above the second.
- Fix the galvanized net, which will serve as the floor of the aft compartment, on the first and third rectangle. Equip these two houses in the same way as a cage intended for adult animals.
- The second rectangle is designed for the lower roof, and also serves as the upper pallet. Among the second and third rectangle will need to install a box that will be removed. In this box will be poured waste from the top tier.
According to this principle, you can build a two-tier and three-tier houses. Drawings that are also easy to find.
The structure of the cage for the rabbit with a nest
Before making a house for a rabbit with a nest, you need to familiarize yourself with some of the features of this design. Such a house is built separately from other structures.
A plus is that it will be portable. Then you with ease be able to move the structure from the street to the barn and vice versa.
- Assemble the frame of the future house, using plywood to make the wall – the back and side. In this house there should be two departments: the main and uterine.
- For each compartment make a separate door: to the section with the rabbit – from the grid, to the womb – with the help of plywood or boards.
- To prevent your household from freezing, you need to insulate the mother liquor. It is recommended to build a double floor in it, in the middle of which lay a heater, for example, straw, foam plastic or any other.
- The cover should be covered with waterproof material.