Most rabbit breeders prefer to make cages for ornamental rabbits on their own, since this option is more convenient and much cheaper. One of the author’s designs, Zolotukhin’s cages for rabbits of any breed, is distinguished by its design features, thanks to which each compartment can be removed in just a minute. Step-by-step instructions, drawings, and a description of the cage design, as well as auxiliary devices, are provided below.
Features and advantages of the design
The cells according to Zolotukhin’s method are copyright, in many respects unique variants of the design, which was developed on the basis of many years of experience in breeding rabbits. There are several options for projects, one of which can be seen on the drawing with dimensions.
Thus, the main version of the design provides for such cell sizes:
- width 2 m;
- height 1.5 m;
- depth (distance from the door to the back wall) 75-80 cm;
- floor slope 6 cm;
- square door 4040 cm;
- grid width 17-20 cm.
For the winter liquor, the parameters are as follows:
- surface area 4040 cm;
- door height 15 cm;
- front wall height 16 cm;
- rear wall height 27 cm.
Focusing on these parameters, you can proportionally reduce or increase them, adapting the design specifically for your conditions.
The size of the cell can be varied based on the size of the room.
The design of the cell is original, and such a project has a number of specific features:
- Capacity of the cell due to the multi-tier design. The cage is made up of 3 tiers and contains 6 adult rabbits. The 2nd and 3rd floors are moved 17-20 cm in depth so that the waste falls not to the neighbors, but to the ground. Such a calculation is not accidental: the fact is that, as the author Nikolai Ivanovich Zolotukhin himself says, and according to the experience of other farmers, 90% of rabbits choose a back corner as a latrine.
- In connection with this observation, this feature of the cell is also interesting, which in many respects distinguishes it from other products: the pallet and net floor are not used in it. On the one hand, this is a plus for animals – eliminating the risk of scratching with paws on metal rods. On the other hand, there is a tangible convenience for the owner: now you do not need to spend time and energy on cleaning the cage from waste.
- The mother liquor itself is absent, since in summer it is quickly equipped in the darkest part (it is enough to divide the cage in the middle with a large wooden block). It is enough to pour straw and hay into the cage, of which the rabbit, without assistance, will make a nest. When the little rabbit is a month old, the bar is removed. In winter, special designs of winter queen cells are placed in the cage, the parameters for which are given above.
- Finally, another idea is quite familiar to many farmers – in the cells of Zolotukhin, a mobile feeder for dry feed is used. It is located on the door, so that the farmer can fill up new portions of food without opening the cage and not disturbing the animals.
The cage is made of improvised, cheap materials.
Thus, the advantages of this design are obvious:
- the cage can be made independently of scrap materials even for beginner breeders – its design is quite simple;
- the cost of the cell will cost several times cheaper than the purchase;
- in general, the design saves space, because it does not take much space;
- due to the peculiarities of the cage, the rabbit breeder spends less energy on waste collection.
How to make a cell Zolotukhin: step by step instructions
Before you start manufacturing, it is important to make a preliminary drawing based on the required dimensions.
The cage is made of wooden and metal materials:
- beams, bars;
- boards (thickness of approximately 2 cm) to create supporting structures: the frame, the door of the mother liquor and internal bulkheads;
- smooth slate or flooring board – the material must be flawless to prevent animals from scratching;
- polycarbonate – the back surface is made of it;
- tin for wood upholstery;
- grid with small cells (1-1.5 cm) for the door, as well as the back of the floor covering (10-15% of the total area).
The tools needed to build a cage can be found in any host.
You will need the usual tools that are found in any household:
- screwdriver or drill;
- self-tapping screws;
- hammer and nails;
- construction tape measure.
The following are step-by-step instructions for the manufacture of each cell element and additional structures – the mother liquor and the feeder.
The basis of the frame – wooden beams or bars, which are mounted between themselves with nails or screws.
The framework is made of pine boards.
The technology is as follows:
- 4 beams with a length of 2 meters each fastened with diameters. The length should be respectively 2 m, and the width – 80 cm. It is important to take into account that the minimum distance from the floor or the ground is 50 cm.
- Next, overlap each tier using a smooth slate or a sheet of plywood. It is important to take into account that the sheet does not reach the end of the rear wall by 18–20 cm – a ledge for waste disposal will then be mounted in these gaps.
- When installing the overlap, the slope (5-6 cm) is also taken into account, so that the waste that some animals may leave in the front corner will roll into the rear corner.
- Further, each tier should be divided into 2 halves with the help of slats (spacing of 25-30 cm).
- Now the polycarbonate sheet is mounted on the back surface. As a material, this is the most successful option, because it does not rot and serves for a very long time.
- Next, a door is mounted from the grid and wooden slats, which is suspended by means of hinges. Put the heck to lock. Attention should be paid to the design features of the door for the queen cell: it is made of dense material that does not transmit light well, because the little rabbit needs to provide darkness.
- The erection of the cage is completed by installing the side walls and reinforcing all the corners with the help of stuffing tin — otherwise rabbits can quickly chew them up.
After the construction of the main structure, the roof is mounted (usual slate or other moisture-proof material can be used). It is important to take into account that it has a slope and protrudes 5-6 cm over the edges, creating a visor.
Instructions for creating the queen cell
According to Zolotukhin’s design, a summer and winter queen cell is designed. In the first case, it is made by dividing the cage into 2 parts: put a bar, which height is 18-20 cm. The idea is that the bunnies will not be able to take this barrier, and the bunny can jump to the main part of the cage. Its edges need to be completely covered with tin or galvanized iron sheet.
Important! Rabbits are very active and can fall out while opening the door. Therefore, in the mother liquor of any design it is necessary to reinforce the beads to 10-15 cm.
Winter mother liquor is remote, it is placed in the cage itself for a while, so the technology of its installation is different:
- According to the previously considered dimensions, a box is piled from sheets of plywood or wooden slats. If the climate is particularly harsh, it is better to reinforce the walls, making them double throughout.
- Next you need to make the inlet, focusing on the size of the rabbit.
- A door is mounted on top, which will allow to clean the mother liquor and monitor the rabbits.
Next, the bottom is covered with straw, the layer of which is better to make as large as possible so that the animals are warm.
Feeding trough design according to Zolotukhin
The mounting technology is as follows:
- Wooden planks (3 pieces) of equal length of 40 cm (2 cm thick) are taken and put together to form the bottom, front board and rear inclined wall of the feeder.
- In accordance with the drawing, you need to cut 2 trapezoidal side parts and insert them into the design, fixing it also with nails or self-tapping screws.
- Next, the inner surface is completely upholstered with sheets of tin or galvanized iron.
- Now you need to attach the feeder in the door itself. It drills 2 holes, after which the structure is nailed. The mesh of the door is placed inside, while the mesh should not reach the container a little (2-3 cm), and the edge of the mesh is tucked so that the rabbits do not cut themselves with snouts.
Thus, Zolotukhin’s experience makes it possible to create a really convenient design of the feeder, which is convenient to clean and in which the animals will feel quite comfortable.
The video shows cells made by Zolotukhin’s technology: