One of the highlights when keeping rabbits on a farm is the correct cage. A warm, spacious and functional house is a guarantee of productivity and fecundity of such animals. As a rule, such structures are made of wood or metal elements. But for beginner breeders, product efficiency is also important. In this regard, rabbit cages from the grid deserve special attention. Such enclosures are extremely easy to clean, and rodents will not spoil the constituent structures, as is the case with the wooden versions.
Options cages for rabbits from the grid
Rabbit cages made from metal mesh have a wide range of advantages, the main ones being the following:
- ease of assembly at home;
- quick and comfortable cleaning design;
- possibility of location in a limited space;
- durability of the product.
But It is worth noting that such executions of cages for rabbits are not suitable for any way of keeping. They are used only as a summer home for animals or for year-round housing. And each of the methods of animal breeding involves its own version of the implementation of mesh structures.
The product is made exclusively from the grid, used for year-round finding rabbits in the room. In this case, the animals are already protected from precipitation, cold and strong winds that can harm the structure. Therefore, a durable stable frame is not needed here, and the mesh walls and ceiling of the product contribute to the free penetration of light and clean air.
Solid performance must be installed on a solid stand. When placing the cage directly on the floor, the living creatures will freeze in the winter. In addition, when cleaning all the dust will fall into the aviary. Also, the design is often supplemented with lamps located directly above the mesh house.
The main advantages of the frameless version are the ease of assembly and minimal space required for placement.
On the frame
Frame design is used mainly for breeding animals on the street. In this case, first, a solid frame is made of wood or metal rods, on which the net is then mounted.
Without fail, this design is complemented by a roof of slate or metal profiles, as well as a sturdy stand. As a result, such a product assumes the following advantages:
- resistance of the structure to strong winds and physical stress;
- protection of resident livestock from precipitation and scorching sunlight;
- high mobility, which implies a small weight of the components of the structure;
- the possibility of the location of several enclosures in two or three tiers.
Which mesh is suitable for rabbits?
The quality and comfort of the enclosure for furry animals directly depends on the correct choice of the grid. In this regard, it plays an important role for which part of the house it is intended. This moment determines the necessary properties of the material and the size of the cells.
Many breeders, making the floor design, make it entirely of rails. At the same time, they are stuffed with a small step so that the manure mass falls down through the holes. Another option in a mesh cage is a combination of solid wood and mesh flooring. In this case, the main area is occupied by oblique plywood of the required size, and under the back wall a strip of mesh with a cell size of 2.5×2.5 cm is installed.
If the breeder decided to make the cage entirely from the grid, he should keep in mind the optimal parameters of the material:
- the width of the grid cell for mounting on the floor should not exceed 3 cm, otherwise the legs of the animal may fall, which in time will result in injury;
- the thickness of the wire in the material used for the construction of the floor must be at least 1.5 cm;
- for the manufacture of walls and doors are suitable as conventional welded aluminum grilles with any cell size, as well as a standard chain-link mesh;
- the ceiling in frameless designs is also easier to make from a welded lattice.
Attention! More specific dimensions of the material elements are selected based on the breed of rabbits selected for breeding.
Advantages of galvanized mesh
In addition to the diameter of the mesh holes, it is also important what it is made of. The most popular option is the grid of galvanized steel. Such a product has the following advantages:
Galvanized steel mesh
- Durability. Such material is not exposed to moisture, and therefore does not rust and does not deteriorate when placed on the street, as well as upon contact with the urine and faeces of animals.
- Easy to clean. Galvanization provides steel wire protection from various detergents, as a result, the breeder does not have to be careful when using them.
- The strength of the wire. The sharp teeth of the rabbits will not damage the structural elements made of such material.
- Quality lighting and cell airing. The walls of the aviary, made of gratings, pass the maximum amount of daylight. In addition, a large number of holes provides full natural ventilation of the house.
The only significant drawback of using galvanized mesh for assembling a rabbit is its high cost. With a significant population of rabbits on the farm, the purchase of such material will require significantly more resources than aluminum welded grates.
Making a cage with your own hands
Schemes and drawings
The first stage of work when assembling a cell from a grid is the selection of a suitable design. Immediately after that, a drawing of the model you like is thoroughly worked out, on which the details are drawn:
- feeders and drinkers with exact observance of the sizes;
- joints of construction elements;
- the door to the rabbitry;
- support frame elements and stand;
- failed communications (for example, automatic drinkers tubes).
Be sure to indicate in the drawing the exact dimensions of the structure. Calculate such values based on the type of cage and the size of the population. So, in the open-air cage for group keeping of young stock in the amount of up to 10 heads, the total area is calculated on the basis that 0.12 square meters are needed per individual. m space. When assembling the rabbitry for the maintenance of breeding animals, the area on each head increases to 0.17 square meters. m
The minimum size of the enclosure for the content of the adult crawl suggest the following values:
- length – 130 cm;
- width – 80 cm;
- height – not less than 40 cm.
If an adult rabbit with offspring is planned to be kept in a cage, then another 40 square meters will be added to these parameters. see the area on which the mother will be located.
Also at assembly it is necessary to prepare in advance all tool necessary for work. The minimum set includes:
- scissors for cutting metal;
- a hammer and nails (in case of necessity the assembly of a wooden frame);
- welding machine (when assembling a metal stand);
- building level;
Reference. Between themselves, the elements are fixed both with ordinary wire and with special brackets.
The process of making such a format of rabbitry is extremely simple. The main thing in the course of work is to adhere to the exact algorithm and dimensions indicated in the drawing. The build follows this instruction:
- From a solid array of galvanized mesh scissor cut all the elements, lined in the diagram, with the appropriate dimensions. In the case of a frame construction, these will be longitudinal and end walls. For the manufacture of frameless models also need to cut the floor and ceiling.
- Small staples are made of galvanized wire with pliers.
- Staples interconnect the wall blank.
- Further the same brackets fix the floor and ceiling. The floor is additionally reinforced with a wooden block filled every 40 cm.
- If in the aviary it is planned to keep the rabbit with young stock, then the floor of the nesting compartment is sewn up closely.
- Depending on the number of living creatures inside the cage, the partitions are laid out from the grid.
- On the front wall cut out a square opening under the door. The latter is also performed from the grid, but with a slight overlap beyond the opening. Fix it on the rings made of a wire.
- From the corners make a stand with a height of at least 1.2 m.
- The roof is covered with a metal profile or slate.
Important! It should also provide for the winter removable plywood panels. They will protect animals from rain and cold.
The rabbit netting cage differs from other designs in a number of advantages. Its assembly is cheaper than the assembly of wooden structures. Gratings better let in light and air. The cage takes up less space and is much easier to clean. In addition, the design of the product is so simple that even an inexperienced young breeder will be able to assemble it within an hour.