For fattening rabbits and breeding young animals, create normal conditions for keeping these animals. Previously, rabbits were released on a fenced plot, but the breeders assure that the best option is a cage. Otherwise, rabbits live in unsanitary conditions where diseases can spread. And it is impossible to feed animals depending on their age, sex, etc. Therefore, rabbit breeding attaches great importance to the construction of cells.
Cages – an important attribute of rabbit breeding
Where to place the cell
The cage for rabbits can stand both outside (in the yard, in the garden) and indoors. Some owners bring pets to the street during warm weather, and in winter they leave it in the barn. But it is better to keep these animals outdoors only, which helps to improve the quality of the animal skin, its hairline. Only residents of the northern regions are forced to bring rabbits into the room in winter.
Rabbits can live on the street, but they are bad draft. Therefore, install a cage for rabbits so that they are not blown. You should not breed these animals in areas near the swamps, where the humidity is high. However, low humidity is not suitable for them, they feel good at a humidity of 60-70%.
Rabbit cage layout
If you want to get rabbits in the winter, the rabbit cage must be covered with a gable roof. They are placed with a facade to each other, between them – a passage over which light is emitted under the roof.
The ends of the aisles are also better covered with shields. When summer comes, all this is taken away. This roof is needed to protect rabbits from rain. Rabbit bosses immediately build houses that have a roof sloped. Therefore, the rear wall is obtained 10-20 cm below the front wall.
If the cage for rabbits is in the barn, fresh air must flow to it. It is lit 8-10 hours, but not longer than 16 hours a day.
If the plans of breeding young animals, the light intensity of 30-40 lux, if you keep animals for fattening – 10-20 lux. In the shed, a sloping roof is not necessary, the cage itself is made of a grid, and the liquor-worm is made of wood.
Need to provide fresh air in the cells
Cells are made from available materials. Its size depends on the choice of breed, their types are also different.
- Large or medium rabbits. They are made one-section or two-section, which are divided into feed and mother liquor. If the cell is single-section, then its length is 120, and they are 60 cm in width; and the two sections are slightly longer — 130. 90 are allocated to the feed section, and 40 cm to the nest. These buildings are 45-60 cm high. If you breed large animals that grow up to 5 kg, the length of the cage increases to 160 cm
- For the young. Its size depends on the number of rabbits. They are 300 in length, and 100 in width, and the desired height is from 35 to 60 cm. However, the norms allow smaller sizes: 170 by 70 cm. From 7 to 10 young stock live in such a house. Ordinary rabbit fattening cells are suitable for young animals. Then up to 7 babies can fit in one cage.
- Cell Research Institute of fur farming. The length of this cage for rabbits is 220-240, it is small in width – 65 cm, the height of the wall in front is 50-60, and in the back is 35 cm. The roof was single-sloped, it has a visor. They are kept on 5 pillars, from soil to floor – 70-80 cm. Nests are built on each side, in which there is a solid floor. The central part is designed for the fattening of animals, and the floor there is of mesh or battens. The length of the nest is 40, in it a manhole is 17 by 17-20 cm, but it is located not below, but a little higher by 10-15 cm so that young rabbits cannot get out of it. Each nest has a door height of 40-50 and a width of 35 cm, made of boards. Two mesh doors lead to the rear part, they are 60 × 30 cm in size. Rabbit breeding is not so simple, and you have to work over the cages.
Cage size for adult rabbits
- Feeding trough. Rabbit fattening utensils are also set separately, but experienced rabbit breeders advise embedding them in the front wall of the dwelling. Then it will be much easier to care for animals. They are usually made large: up to 50-60 cm, so that it is convenient to put any food. Rabbits love to climb inside the feeder. To prevent this from happening, a removable metal frame is attached on top. There are wire partitions in it every 6 cm. This device will not allow the animals to damage the feeder.
- Drinking bowl Animals can not live without drinking bowls. The simple option is the bottle version. For its production is taken a bottle and a jar, often used canning. The bottle is installed outside, and the jar is placed so that it goes into the cage only 3-4 cm, otherwise the water in it quickly gets dirty. The bottle is held with staples, the edge of its neck is 1 cm below the edge of the can. It is better to fix the can to prevent the animals from overturning it.
- The mother liquor. In the cell is the mother liquor. If nesting compartments are not built, then a box is used as a queen cell, which will be placed in a cage for rabbits 3-4 days before the female is hatched. In winter, it is insulated with straw or hay. This box is 45–55 cm in length, 35–40 cm in width, and 10–40 cm in height. In one of the walls is a manhole with a diameter of 15–20 cm. If the height of the box is 30 cm and above, the lid on top is not needed . Make several holes in the walls so that fresh air can flow in.
Rabbit Feeder Types
Rabbit breeding is a whole science. But for fattening rabbits and breeding young animals do not need special knowledge. Enough desire, ability to work, patience and small cash investments.
If you create all the conditions, your pets will quickly gain weight and bring offspring.
Breeding rabbits for fattening is a good way to provide a family with meat, skins or fluff, which has always been highly valued among needlewomen.