Rabbit Cage: Features, Tips for Making Varieties
Rabbit breeding is gaining momentum. It is quite profitable to keep rabbits, because they are small in size, unpretentious in food, do not require large space and breed well. It is best to keep these animals in your house; only small decorative rabbits are suitable for an apartment. Make a cage for animals easily do it yourself, just a little skill, time and tools.
How to build a cage for rabbits with their own hands: recommendations
Before embarking on construction, it is necessary to consider many important points:
- Choose a place. Rabbits can be kept indoors or outdoors, but at a temperature above zero. You can make different cages: indoors and out of it, so that animals can change their position, it will be easier to clean the cages. Street buildings are made on a small dais, rabbits should not be constantly on the ground. Even in the warmer months, the cell must be protected from wind and rain.
- Decide on the material. The best material for keeping rabbits is wood. It is safe, environmentally friendly, keeps heat well, and with proper treatment and care will last a very long time. The metal is harder, it freezes in the cold and gets very hot in the sun. For side walls, you can use an elastic safety wall or wooden slats.
- Decide on the size. Before you make a cage for rabbits with your own hands, the dimensions need to be carefully calculated, put on the drawing. Universal sizes do not exist. They depend on the specific type of rabbits, their quantity and the space that you are ready to devote to keeping animals. The standard size is 1.5 * 0.7 * 0.7 m. One wall is made slightly larger than the other, the roof should be folding.
- Separate compartments. Keep all animals in one cage is impossible. Separate compartments are made for small rabbits, pregnant females, and males. Together must be an animal of the same sex and preferably one temperament, since there may be a conflict between them.
Do-it-yourself rabbit cage construction: basic steps
Before proceeding with construction, draw a drawing, measure the designated area, prepare all the necessary tools and materials. Most likely you will need wooden slats and boards of various sizes, mesh, sheets of chipboard, nails, hinges, screwdrivers, screws, screws, latches.
The whole process can take a whole day. Remember that all the wooden parts of the cage must be carefully polished, as there can be splinters in the legs of the rabbits. Stages of construction:
- First make the frame of the bars to the specified size. The front wall is made 10-20 cm shorter than the back, so that the roof is inclined. If you are planning a cage with a gable roof, then this slope can be ignored.
- The resulting frame need to sheathe boards or mesh. The whole cage should be divided into the feeding and nesting part. Usually the feeder is more open, and the nesting part is more closed or completely deaf.
- A partition with a small hole is made between the two compartments. Rabbits have a habit of gnawing the partition, so it can be sheathed with a thin layer of metal.
- When the walls are ready, you can proceed to the roof. It is usually made lean and wooden. So that the roof is less heated and does not allow moisture, it can be sheathed with smooth slate or the remnants of old linoleum (preferably thin without insulation). The roof is removable or hinged.
- On the front wall you need to attach 2 small doors. In the aft compartment, the door is made of mesh, in the nest – of wood.
- If the rabbits are outdoors, you can make it easier for yourself and give them the opportunity to eat pasture. For this, a manhole and a small ladder down to the ground is made from the back of the cage. That area, which you are ready to take to the rabbits for walking, you need to enclose a grid, the roof is also made of the grid.
- The floor of the cage is made of fine mesh or wooden beams. If rabbits have short legs and pads are missing, it is better to prefer bars, placing them at a distance of 1.5-2 cm from each other. Under the floor is a large solid pallet.
Device cages for rabbits with their own hands: drinkers, feeders, cell types
The simplest version of the cell is the usual single-pitch box with compartments. An excellent material for the manufacture of walls is mesh. It is used in the construction of any kind of cell. Cages for rabbits from the grid do-it-yourself practical, convenient, safe for animals.
There are also more complex, original buildings, the manufacture of which will require skill. For example, a cell in the Mikhailov system. This is a whole farm with a complex system of ventilation, self-removal of waste, complex waterers, feeders, manholes, heating system. To build such a cell can only be a professional.
People who keep rabbits for beauty and pleasure come up with a whole aviary where you can find a cage, a play area, a place for walking, and a big feeding bowl. It all depends on the owners’ imagination, material possibilities, skill and time.
Inside the cage should be adapted for the life of pets, that is, it is necessary to properly build a feeding trough and feeding bowl:
- For liquid and semi-liquid feed, ordinary small troughs are placed. They need to be washed immediately after feeding, as they accumulate mold. A regular ceramic bowl will do, but its disadvantage is that rabbits can easily turn it over.
- Very convenient bunker feeders for bulk feed. They can be made of tin, wood, slate, plywood. This trough is filled every few days, after which the feed is poured into a special recess in portions. Such a feeder is convenient because the animals will not be able to scatter the food.
- The simplest type of feeders is a cup made of old cans with no sharp corners and notches. Such banks can be fixed, using them both for a loose feed, and for water.
- Water pots must provide clean water. Therefore, a shallow pallet and an inverted plastic bottle with water are put, which gradually flows out as the water in the pallet decreases.
How to make cages for rabbits yourself: cages for rabbits and pregnant females
When at last the rabbits begin to produce offspring, a separate compartment should already be ready for them. Pregnancy rabbit lasts about a month. During this time, you can prepare rooms for small rabbits. Important conditions for proper maintenance:
- Pregnant females should be kept separately from the young and males. They are usually irritable. Prepare for them a warm compartment.
- Pregnant rabbits are kept separately from the males and after the birth of rabbits. Male can eat offspring. The first month and a half, the female has given birth together with baby rabbits, therefore the cage should be spacious enough, warm and comfortable.
- The cage of females who are preparing to become mothers should be at least a meter, with a larger passage from the nest to the aft. In the manufacture of cages for females and rabbits, remember that toxic paints and coatings can not be used. It is better to polish the wood altogether and not to cover it with anything.
- Instructions on how to make cages for rabbits, a detailed guide to making, can be found on the Internet, but for pregnant rabbits with offspring, it is better to increase the area of the cage. Standard sizes will not fit here.
- Rabbits themselves make a convenient place in the cage and prepare for childbirth, so it is not necessary to build it, it is enough to pour sawdust and hay to give the female material for construction.
- Make different compartments for pregnant females. If one female has given birth to a large number of rabbits, some otslelit in compartments with females who have less offspring.
- The floor in the cage where the rabbits are kept must be wooden and solid. Take care of heating if bunnies appear in the winter.
Take care of all the intricacies at the planning stage. Redevelopment and construction of cells after pregnancy, females deliver unnecessary trouble. Relocating pregnant females and female rabbits is not easy.