To breed rabbits, you first need to make cages.
If you decide to start rabbits – this is a profitable occupation: they are unpretentious, do not need a special feed, multiply very quickly and grow. But you definitely need cages for rabbits. I will tell you in what conditions you need to keep these furry rodents, and what should be the houses for them.
Condition 1. Rules for keeping rabbits
There are two options for cell location.:
- indoors, for example, in an extension to a house or a separate shed;
Krolya can be kept in the yard area.
If cells are placed outdoors, follow these rules:
- Homemaderabbits do not like the direct rays of the sun. Therefore, their houses should be located in the shade of trees or protected by an artificial fence that will scatter the rays of the sun.
- The humidity of the ambient air should not exceed 60-70%. Place the cells in an elevated and dry area, away from water.
- Drafts are often the cause of rabbit diseases. Animals should not be exposed to air currents exceeding 30 m / s.
- Cells should be well ventilated.. Fumes from the discharge of rabbits should not harm their health.
- Houses for rabbits is highly desirable to set to the east face.
For the winter season, the cells should be insulated; the temperature inside should vary from +10 to +20 ° C. Especially carefully insulate the breeding compartment for queens and their offspring.
If animals are kept indoors, it should be well ventilated.
When keeping animals indoors, Its conditions should be as follows:
- in winter the room should be lit no more than 10 hours;
- walls must be plastered;
- sufficiently ventilated;
- the best option is if the south side of the room is equipped with a window on the whole wall.
- cages can be made at a height of 80-100 cm from the floor, so rabbits will be protected from the bites of rats and mice, and it will be easier for you to care for your pets.
Condition 2. The design and size of the cell
Cells should be of a certain size and design.
The parameters of the cells depend on the breed of rabbits, for example, for giants such large premises are needed.
The size of the cells depends on:
- from rabbit breed;
- schemes of their maintenance (“battery” cells, mini-farm, industrial economy, etc.);
- standard values: young animals need 0.12 m² of area, males need 0.17 m², and females 0.5 m².
Normal rabbit cage sizes:
- for baby rabbits – 50 × 70 × 30 cm;
- for adults – 50 × 100 × 30 cm.
Most often houses are made into two cells. In such paired rabbitks breeding compartments adjacent to the outer walls of the cells. They communicate with the feeding areas by the passageways (lazy) of 17 × 17 cm.
Features rabbit house
In the nesting compartment, the animals sleep, and in the free-range feed.
On the front side of the rabbitry there are doors: two mesh in the hills and two deaf in the nests. Between them are drinking bowls and nurseries. Feeders are attached to the front side of the mesh doors.
The entire area of the cage for the maintenance of rabbits is divided into a walking compartment and nesting (deaf zakut). The size of the area for walking may be different, but most often equals 50 cm in width and length.
The zakut, loved by animals, is a box 25 cm wide and 50 cm long. In it, rabbits sleep, and also hide during bad weather or when they feel danger.
Zakut is tightly sheathed and only a removable door is hung from its front side. Laz is made in the wall, which is adjacent to the walking compartment.
The floor in the cage can be made of slats.
Rabbit cells are made with a slatted or mesh floor. It is necessary that their waste products freely fall into a pallet placed under the floor.
The height of the front side of the house should be 50-55 cm, and the rear wall should be given a height of 30 cm. In other words, a slope should be at the roof of the cage. In the long-range arrangement of rabbitks, it will simultaneously play the role of a tray for the upper cages. Therefore, the roof must be sheathed with sheet-galvanized iron.
What materials to use?
In the photo plywood beam and boards – the best materials for the construction of rabbit houses.
The best option for building cells – use environmentally friendly wood and its products.
- For the construction of the frame is well suited wooden beam.
- Walls can sheathe plywood or boards. Chipboard for this unsuitable, this plate absorbs moisture, swells from it and begins to crumble.
Welded mesh is ideal for rabbit floors.
- For arranging floors, use a welded mesh with a mesh size of 1.5 × 1.5 cm.
- For flooring you can use either wooden or plastic slats 2-3 cm wide. Fill them in 1.5 cm steps between each other. So waste of rabbit will freely fall into the pan.
- The step should not be more than the figure given. Otherwise, the legs of the animals will be stuck in the cracks, and they can break them.
When making a rabbit house with your own hands, remember one important condition. Materials for its construction should be smooth, free of burrs, splinters and other injuries bearing inclusions.
Cage fabrication steps
Before work, make a drawing of the cell.
I will describe to you how the simplest cage for closed keeping of rabbits is made. According to this scheme, you can build a house for the open air, but then you will have to use the PCB.
The design of the cell should be displayed in the drawing. Draw it, focusing on the dimensions of a single rabbit: length 150 cm, width 70 cm and height 70 cm.
But it is better if the cage for rabbits will be a steam room, so you will save building materials. Then the frame should look like this:
- length – 300 cm;
- width – 70 cm;
- height in front of 120 cm, and behind – 100 cm.
Tools and materials
Before you make a cage for a rabbit, prepare materials:
- two sheets of plywood, measuring 150 × 150 cm and 1 cm thick;
- 10 wooden bars, 3 m long and 3 × 5 cm in size;
- 3 m² iron galvanized mesh, with cells 1.5 × 1.5 cm;
- on 1 kg of self-tapping screws, 3 and 7 cm long.
And, of course, you still need the appropriate tools.
Putting rabbit house
Assemble the frame on a solid, level surface. The dimensions of the base house: length 3 m, width 0.7 m, height 1.2 m in front, 1 m behind. The frame must have legs.
Screw the grid on the floors of the construction. You can mount it, without reaching the edges of the structure, there will be located the queen cells. Their floor must be solid.
First, make the back wall of plywood: cut it to the size of the frame and screw it to the beam on the screws.
Remember, where the grid is not – this is the future wraps for little rabbits.
Next, in front of the mother liquor, screw the vertical bar. Attach the wall to it, in which the hole of the manhole should be cut. Screw the bars to the walls of the zakut, fix the lid of the mother liquor on them.
In the center of the structure vertically secure the bar. Screw 2 feeders to it. Their width should be 30 cm and height 7 cm.
Screw two guides of the bar above the feeding place in steps of 20 cm.
It is made of plywood. This is a device, the upper part of which is inserted between the guide bars, the lower part is placed in the feeder.
Near the main trough place another one – under the hay. Make it from iron wire.
Face the free space of the rabbit cage with plywood. Put the roof. She should have a 5 cm inlet ahead, 10 cm on the sides and back.
In the center of the house, leave a hole. Through it you will put food.
Lastly, install mesh doors measuring 50 × 30 cm.
Rabbit cages are easy to make yourself. The main condition is that they should be spacious and constructed from environmentally friendly materials. The video in this article will vividly demonstrate all stages of cell installation. If you have any questions, ask them in the comments.