One of the important components of the successful maintenance of rabbits is the provision of animals with suitable housing – cages. The cages are very convenient for breeding animals – the easiest way to feed them is to care for, care for and, if necessary, treat the animals. In this case, do not rush to buy industrial copies – the cells can be made independently. We will look at how to build a cage for rabbits with your own hands, as well as a series of photos of original constructions ideas.
Two-story rabbit cage.
Features and requirements
In fact, a cage is a box-like design with opening front doors. Consists of a frame (sometimes with high legs), closed walls, roof and floor. Inside there are compartments for food and rest, separated by a partition with a manhole. In the aft compartment is located feeding and watering.
The size and design features of the cells depend on the age, breed, sex of the rabbit, method of content. However, in essence, the design will be identical for all groups of animals.
Common drawing of rabbit cages.
When viewed from above, the cell diagram is as follows. The floor of the cell can be either completely reticulated, or it can be inserted from the mesh to remove stool. The gender in the breeding section must be solid, windless and warm.
Schematic representation of the cell from above.
Another cell variant is also in demand – one in which the sleeping compartments are located on the sides, and in the center – the territory for feeding and activity. Such blocks are distinguished by a greater length (up to 1.2 m), the standard height is about 35 cm.
There are several types of cellular content:
- in room;
- on the street;
- combined – part of the year indoors, part – on the street.
You may be interested in: dryer for vegetables do it yourself.
Since it is recommended and most often used is the street type of content for rabbits, consider what the requirements put forward to such structures:
- the use of high-quality, durable, coarse building materials;
- reliability and stability of the structure;
- no more than 3 tiers of cells (a slanting roof device for efficient removal of feces);
- the presence of a canopy.
Winter content krodikov.
As we have already indicated, the design of the house for animals is chosen based on many factors. Therefore, in the following we briefly review the main distinctive features of blocks for animals with different needs:
Adults. The size of the block should be calculated on the basis of such a formula: one adult needs at least 0.5 square meters. m space.
Simple cage design.
Aviary for the young.
House for the little rabbit rabbits.
In addition to standard cages, there are also options with an aviary. In the presence of free space, you can install just such blocks. The aviary is settling down either under the structure or near the rear wall. At least one of the walls of the aviary should be reticulated, but the option is also popular when the back wall is solid and the rest of the grid is like in the photo:
Two-story cage with aviary.
With a large number of individuals, the shed will become a convenient design for the content. It is a frame with 2-3 tiers of cells under a canopy. The whole structure looks like a mini-shed, but it greatly increases the efficiency and convenience of care, allows for rational use of space, and each animal can be provided with a separate unit. Shed can also be built independently.
Shed for rabbits.
Depending on the needs of the animal and your goals, the appearance of the design can be absolutely any. For example, for males, which are usually kept alone, you can build a very simple block on one floor:
Simple one-story cell.
You can also make a frame and divide it into three compartments, in order to settle several individuals under one roof.
Single-storey block of three cells.
If you have enough space, and the number of animals is small, you can make two-tier (two-story) apartments for animals:
Two-story cage in the form of a house for one individual.
Another version of the two-tier block with a symmetrical attractive facade:
Two-story cell in the form of a house.
If you wish, you can flop the most original ideas and make a cage for rabbits with your own hands, like a teremka, as in the photo below. To descend into the walking area, the block must be equipped with a ladder.
And here is another uncommon construction – in order to usefully use the space, beds with greens are equipped on the roof of the block.
Cage with seedlings on the roof.
Another example of the design – on the sides of the block are the feeder and the trough. In the center there is a nest with holes on both sides. Thanks to the convenient door to the kids, you can access and easily perform care procedures.
House with offices.
In the photo below we see a very original, practical and simple design like a wheelbarrow. The house for the animal is equipped with a pair of wheels on the back and a pair of derzhak in front. If necessary, the cage can be quickly and unaided to transport to another place. In this case, the unit is equipped with a nest and there is enough space for walking.
Read on our website: pigsty do it yourself.
Carriage house on wheels.
To the economic part of the yard looked aesthetically and original, houses for livestock can be built in the oriental style of the Pagoda.
House in the style of Pagoda.
If you need a spacious enclosure for walking the young, you can make a metal structure, fully mesh with a small shelter.
Spacious rabbit enclosure.
Tips and tricks
Before you start building a house for living creatures, read these simple guidelines. They will save you a lot of time in the creation process and will avoid some errors:
- When year-round street content for the manufacture of walls is better to choose thick boards. If the crumbs are kept partially outside, the sides of the cage can be made of plywood. If the rabbits are on the street only in summer, then the walls can be made from a strong mesh.
- When the content on the street construction should be placed at a height of at least 0.7 m from the ground. This will protect the animals from cold, rain, as well as rats and other animals.
- The floor can be made of wooden slats or grid. The size of the cells should be about 1-1.5 cm, so that manure can freely pass through the holes, but animals do not hurt their paws.
- For the roof, you can use boards or plywood. And on top for reliability put any available roofing material. The only thing that should be borne in mind is that sheets of metal can become very hot in the sun and overheat the cage, so you will have to install a canopy from above.
- On the front wall you need to install two doors on the hooks, one mesh, the second wooden.
- The wooden elements of the house are likely to be chipped, because the most vulnerable parts of the cage are recommended to sheathe with thin tin sheets, namely: the edges of the wooden beams in the frame and the doors, the manhole, the feeder.
- In case of bad weather, removable glazing should be provided. A frame with glass can be fastened in different ways, for example, on hooks, and in sunny weather to take pictures.
Cage with supports.
So, we will consider the manufacture of a three-tier structure for group keeping of rabbits.
- timber section 5 * 5 cm;
- aluminum plaster corner;
- metal connecting corners;
- slats 24 * 12 mm (for the floor, you can use a metal grid);
- galvanized sheets.
All mounts in a cage will look like this.
- construction stapler;
- Bulgarian (hacksaw);
- electric drill.
For the construction we will use the following drawing. Here one tier is depicted, such constructions will require 3 pieces.
The drawing of the cell (one tier).
Below are detailed step-by-step instructions for making a house.
First you need to prepare the material for the work – cut the timber into the desired segments. So, it will take 16 pieces of 1.9 m each (12 pieces need to be angled from one side), 24 pieces of 0.35 m each, 18 pieces of 0.8 m each, 12 pieces of 0.45 m each, 6 pieces of 0, 7 m. All cooked pieces should be sheathed on one side with a corner with a stapler. These parts will be in direct contact with animals, which means that the tree should be protected from gnawing.
Caracas in the manufacturing process.
Making a hole for feed.
Ready frame tier.
Fasteners rails on the floor.
In principle, this can be stopped if you do not need a large number of living creatures. But if there are many rabbits, and there is little space, you can continue and fold the three compartments into a single three-story structure.
This will require strong bars with a length of 2 m (4 pieces). Mount the compartments need with metal corners. The first compartment should be at least 30 cm above the ground. The distance between the compartments should be kept at least 10 cm to accommodate pallets.
Thus, we presented a selection of photos with original ideas of designs, and also reviewed in stages the making of cages for rabbits with our own hands.
Video: Step by step construction of the cage for rabbits.