Rabbits are not only valuable fur, but also … care. In order for your pets to grow beautiful and large, you need to provide them with a good “apartment”. Do-it-yourself rabbit cages are a time-consuming, but interesting process that you can master thanks to our recommendations. You do not have to look for specialists and buy ready-made buildings. With the help of the proposed master class, you will make cells of the size that is necessary for you.
What tools and materials need to be prepared
Starting the construction of houses for rabbits, prepare everything you need for work. This will allow not to be distracted and finish the work in a shorter time.
From the tools you will need:
In addition, you should have at least minimal skills to work with this equipment.
The choice of material directly depends on the chosen construction. But in any case, will be necessary:
- plywood sheets
- galvanized mesh
The cross section of the grid depends on the age of the rabbits, who will live in the “house”, but it is better to choose no more than 16 * 48. It is suitable for both adult animals, and in the construction of "nurseries."
Important stages of construction
First of all, you need to make a drawing and decide on the size. By standards, a large breed rabbit requires a cage with a length of one and a half meters, a width of 0.7 meters and a height of at least 0.5 meters. If you breed animals of medium size, you can change the parameters of the cage to the smaller side.
Any design consists of a bottom or floor, walls, roof and what you plan to do inside the cage. This may be nesting compartments and the mother liquor. The walls can be wooden or mesh. The bottom is necessarily performed either from a fine-meshed grid or from rails located at a distance from each other. Carefully approach the creation of the roof. For outdoor cells, preference is given to tile or slate, as they will protect from sunlight and rain.
All feeders and drinkers with a tray should be extended and have a lid for dosed feeding. For street cages, it is imperative to make protection from dogs, cats and rodents. The easiest way is to install the structure on the bars with a length of 0.7-0.8 meters.
Cage with nests
Cage for a rabbit do with their hands more often with nests. To create such housing you need to perform the following steps:
- We collect the frame of the bars. As a result of this work, a box with a front wall with a height of 50-60 cm should be obtained, and the back wall should be 20 cm smaller. It is better to place the cage above the ground on 70 cm long uneven bars.
- We sheathe the frame with plywood or boards. If you plan to make nests, the floor is also made of solid wood. In the aft compartment, we stretch the net, separating both sections with a partition. In it you need to make a hole with a diameter of 0.2 meters. It is located 15 centimeters from the bottom edge. So that the rabbits do not nibble the tree, you can sheathe the edges of the manhole with iron.
- Create a roof. For convenience, breeders make it on sheds, so that there is an opportunity to open the box.
- Doors are made different. In the nesting section, the door must be solid, but in the aft section a grid is used to create the door.
- If you want rabbits to have space for walking, you can organize walking in the form of an additional structure from the frame and the grid. Sometimes the owners make it so that the animal has the opportunity to eat pasture.
It is easy to place whole mesh cells: you can install them in the shed or on the street. They are easily processed, take up little space. Similar constructions are used by those who breed and sell animals.
To create a cage, you will need a grid with different cell diameters. For the walls and top fit mesh with cells 2.5 * 5 centimeters. For the floor you need to take a grid with a smaller diameter – 3.5 * 2.5 centimeter. Such dimensions will prevent the accumulation of manure, and favorable conditions will be provided for rabbits.
Keep rabbits in the house
Cages for home maintenance are different from the above structures. Here are the basic recommendations that you need to follow when creating home cells:
- Cut out two side walls with a height and width of 07-0.8 m.
- The back wall should be 1 meter wide and not more than 0.55 meters high.
- Fix the rear wall on the side. It is necessary to do this so that there is a gap of 10-15 centimeters from the floor to the edge.
- In order for the box to be strong, you need to fasten a meter-long rail between the side panels.
- Fix the grid in the form of the floor and the front wall. If necessary, add a few more rails.
- Be sure to secure the rake in the upper level, which will draw the lid of the box.
- Also make the lid of the grid on the frame with awnings, due to the fact that the box will stand at home and you will not need to protect it from the sun’s rays.
- Since the floor will be reticulated: do not forget to make a pallet that would normally fit in height under a cage.
Keep cells clean
In order for rabbits not to hurt, but grow up healthy and large, you need to know how to care for your cages. Any care begins with cleaning. Rake pallet need daily. In order to avoid droppings in the trough and the feeder, it is necessary to make a cover. If there is a flooring from the rails, cleaning inside the cage will be useful – manure is not always removed by itself through the gaps between the slats.
Of great importance is the humidity in the cells. If it is one cell from the grid, then the humidity does not threaten the rabbits. The situation with structures consisting of several tiers is more complicated.
With increased humidity in rabbits develops a disease like coccidiosis, which in most cases leads to the death of the animal.
To prevent infection, the owner must disinfect the cell 3 times a month. For this pet you need to transplant in another cage, remove flooring, feed and pour water. With the help of a propane lamp, all the surfaces of the house are burned. Particular attention is paid to the mesh floor, as well as to the bars, on which the entire structure is fixed – all pathogens accumulate in these places. Regular treatment will prevent infection in rabbits.
The outer cells suffer from bars, on which the structure is installed, and roofing material. If necessary, the latter will need to be changed so that the rabbits do not get wet from the rain and the sunlight does not fall on them. Therefore, think in advance what material will be appropriate and will be able to serve for a long time.
Useful tips from photo professionals
To create a cage with our own hands, we indicated its size for a large breed rabbit. But, as practice shows, all these numbers are conditional. For a male, you can make a small cage so that it can move in it. But do not do very little. The lack of movement negatively affects the animal, and you will not get any offspring from such a rabbit.
When planning the breeding of rabbits, remember that it is not always possible to keep young animals in one bunker with their mother. If their size has not yet reached the slaughter, and the time for separation of the mother and the rabbits has come, it is necessary to plant the young in a separate rabbit. In this case, one cell, you can hardly do.
In the presence of several females, which are kept separately, it is not necessary to make separate rabbitries for young offspring. Collect in our master class one free enclosure, designed for a large rabbit. The youngsters have enough space there to feed themselves to the desired weight.
For beginners in carpentry, we can recommend using ready-made drawings that make it easier to create a cage. Here is the simplest cell layout for home keeping.
This could be a cage for keeping adult rabbits.
These two-tier cells will help you save space. Based on this scheme, you can make 3 or even 4-storey “houses” for eared pets.
In more detail, all the recommendations are told in the video lesson; even a novice breeder will be able to make a cage for their pets.
If you have experience building cages for rabbits, share them in the comments. Any tips and advice would be helpful to other rabbit breeders.