Than to disinfect cages of rabbits each rabbit breeder should know. This event is included in the list of mandatory rodent health. Disinfection prevents the appearance of viruses, bacteria and infections that affect the rodent’s body. Microorganisms formed in the aviary during the life of a rabbit can lead to the death of a rodent.
Why do I need disinfection
Cleaning the enclosure is the most effective way to fight disease. At the same time, in addition to the cages, rabbit accessories are processed. Before disinfection, thorough cleaning of the room and cells is carried out. Debris, litter, dirt, food debris and litter are removed. Along with this leaves a third of the bacteria.
Disinfection is used to clean the house of pathogenic bacteria and viruses. The procedure is carried out in the following cases:
- In early spring and autumn;
- 14 days before the appearance of the young;
- When weaning rabbits from the mother;
- When buying a new rabbit;
- After illness, the death of a pet.
Simple cleaning is done with the help of available tools. For disinfection used special preparations.
Preparations for treatment
For processing farms, experts recommend using the following disinfectants:
- Virosan. Easy to use, no rinse required. Used in small doses. The temperature of the tool can be both high and low. Effective against bacteria, viruses, fungi. The result is stored for a long time.
- Xylonaph. It is produced in the form of a brown liquid with an oily texture. To increase efficiency, concentration is increased by heating. It is important to increase the dose during and after quarantine.
- Bromosept – 50. Low toxic, hypoallergenic drug. It has a powerful effect on pathogens. Does not freeze, is used at small doses, the effectiveness does not depend on temperature. Method of application – any. It is used as a preventive measure.
- Ecocide C. Has a powdered appearance, is easy to use: the desired dose is soluble in water. Treats moderately hazardous substances.
- Creolin besfenolny. The substance is black-brown in color, with an oily, liquid consistency. The product diluted in water gets dairy color. It is used in the fight against staphylococcus, Escherichia coli. Requires flushing with water.
Disinfection of rabbit cells at home is most often carried out with the help of the “Loyal friend” tool. The substance is safe for the pet, does not require rinsing, effectively cleans the cage, removes unpleasant odor.
The most common chemical agent for disinfecting the housing of rabbits is bleach (10 percent solution). The drug is sold in specialized pharmacies. The chemical is also prepared by itself. In application the product is simple – the solution is applied to all surfaces of the house with a wide brush. Analogs of bleach are manganese, iodine, fly ash.
Ash liquor is prepared at home, combining water and wood ash. The resulting liquid is boiled for about half an hour, use hot. Rabbits do not necessarily pull out of the cage, the substance is not dangerous for the health of the animal. Inventory can be processed by immersion in the solution.
Another effective tool is a formaldehyde solution (40 percent, in the form of an aerosol). This requires compliance with the rules of use of the chemical: the temperature of the solution should be 15 degrees, the humidity of the room should not be below 60%. To achieve the required level of humidity in the room clean water is sprayed. The method of application is quite simple – the resulting liquid is sprayed onto all surfaces of the rabbit housing from a spray bottle.
Rabbit cells are disinfected with burnt lime. Before the procedure, the substance is quenched, then mixed with water. The received milk is stored no more than 6 hours.
White powder – chloramine – dissolves in warm water. After cleaning, rinse the surface with water. The shelf life of the solution is 14 days.
In addition to these funds use whiteness, formalin, caustic soda.
An effective method of processing rabbit houses is firing. Such processing can be carried out at home. Heat destroys bacteria, viruses, infections, parasites. Glass, ceramic designs are not recommended to be processed by firing. For the procedure using a gas torch or a blowtorch. Disinfection is carried out until the wooden structure becomes a little brown.
When processing this method is required to strictly comply with all safety regulations. After disinfection, the cells are thoroughly rinsed in water, the room is aired.
Disinfection after illness
With the spread of rabbit diseases in the region, it is recommended to disinfect every 10 days during the entire period of the epidemic. This measure will allow to protect animals.
For processing the cells, soda ash dissolved in water is used, heated to 90 degrees. Next, apply the tool that is most appropriate to the class of the disease.
If the rodent is ill, disinfection is carried out immediately after quarantine. The main purpose of the event is to prevent outbreaks of the disease. During quarantine, the house is treated every five days.
The most serious diseases requiring careful treatment include:
- Salmonellosis. It is quite rare, but very dangerous. Acute mortality from salmonellosis is about 90%. For disinfection used chloramine, xylonaph, hypochlor, caustic soda. Salmonella is often found in the excreta of animals, so you should carefully clean the litter, wash the floor. If the birds are infected with salmonellosis, then the rabbitcher must be treated.
- Pasteurellosis. It affects the respiratory system, intestines. In severe cases, the rodent is euthanized, the carcass is burned. After the death of the rabbit, the cells are treated very carefully. For disinfecting solution used formalin, caustic soda, Lysol, phenol. Substance spray house, inventory. Xylonaph and formaldehyde in a heated state are also effective. The causative agent of infection dies at a temperature above 80 degrees, so the inventory can be sterilized in boiling water.
- Staphylococcosis. Infection is quite common among rabbits of any age. If the conditions of keeping animals are not observed, the risk of infection is especially high. Thorough cleaning is carried out at least once a month using boiling water, soda ash solution and antiseptic agents.
- Ringworm. The fungus causes ringworm, provokes skin diseases, adversely affects the fur of rodents. For the fight against the fungus used formaldehyde or sodium phenolate with caustic soda. The mixture is heated to 50 degrees, re-disinfection is carried out after a day.
- Listeriosis is an incurable disease. After detection of signs of infection, the rabbit is put to sleep. For disinfection of the crawl’s residence, hot emulsions of xylonaph, soda ash, caustic soda, clarified lime, and aerosol formaldehyde are used.
Disinfection after death
Post-death treatment is an indispensable means of preventing re-epidemics. All tools, feed, manure, bedding, after contact with sick animals are destroyed. Before disinfection procedure it is necessary to clean the room with heated caustic soda. Treatment of cells after the death of animals occurs with the help of special decontamination solutions, are used: chloramine, bleach, formaldehyde with formalin, Lysol. Disinfectants are applied 2-3 times. Re-processing is carried out 14 days before the colonization of cells with new rodents.
To prevent diseases, death of pets, preventive work is carried out according to certain rules:
- Dental procedures are carried out at least once a year for closed enclosures and cages, otherwise at least once every six months.
- Before pregnancy females, after weaning rabbits from the mother.
- When settling new tenants, holding quarantine events.
You should not settle newly acquired rabbits in a common enclosure. Infection can spread to all livestock, lead to death.
For preventive purposes, treatment is carried out with the most affordable, safe means. Many rabbit breeders use solutions in the form of an aerosol. Observe safety rules when carrying out prophylaxis both in the room with rabbits, and in their absence. Preventive measures are carried out with the inventory, all related equipment. Sometimes enough use of boiling water.
Many rabbit diseases are difficult to cure or not treatable. You should closely monitor the conditions of maintenance of pets, their health, appearance. At the first signs of the disease is required to consult a doctor, begin treatment. Disinfection is a great way to prevent many diseases. Modern preparations make the procedure effective, fast and convenient for rabbit breeders.