Subsistence farming has always been profitable. You can keep chickens, pigs, and goats, but rabbits have always been particularly popular, because they are unpretentious and do not require special food. But they definitely need special cages for rabbits, it’s not customary to keep these animals in the barn.
For keeping rabbits need cages
Before building cages for rabbits, you need to find a drawing according to which you will work. On the Internet, you can find a ready or draw a drawing yourself. For this you need to know the size of the cells for rabbits. Beginner breeders should know that a single cage is not enough for them to breed these animals. We need several houses for rabbits, at least three.
For adult rabbits
Two adult rabbits fit in a house of two sections. Its minimum dimensions are: 140 cm long (better than 210-240 cm), 60-70 cm wide, 50-70 cm high. Between the two compartments there is a grass and hay feeder. A house for a rabbit can be made in two floors, which will help save space.
House of two sections for adult rabbits
Cage for young
In cages to rabbits, namely for young animals, rabbits are kept in groups. Making the cage is simple: the minimum size of the dwelling for the young: 200–300 cm by 100 cm, height – 35–60 cm.
On one animal of young stock should be no less than 0.12 square meters.
Sometimes they do not make separate cells for young animals, but keep them in ordinary, for adults, counting the number of individuals in the area they need.
House for the rabbit with litter
A house for rabbits with children for breeding consists of fodder and brood parts, which are separated by a partition. It has a hole.
It should be located just above the floor (10-15 cm) so that the bunnies cannot get out of the nest. Houses for rabbits (mother liquor) has a size of 0.4 by 0.4 m and a height of 20 cm.
It is placed in the uterine compartment just before the neck. Here is an exemplary drawing of a cell with a queen cell.
Drawing cells with the mother liquor
For giant rabbits
The size of the cage depends on the size of the giant rabbits. If you have acquired giants, they will be cramped in standard cages, you need big houses. For the breeding of giant rabbits, a dwelling with a width of 0.75 m, a height of 0.55 m, and a length of 1.7 m is necessary. This is the minimum that would be good to make it larger.
Cage Manufacturing Rules
If you decide to build your own cages for rabbits yourself, you need to know some rules so that in a few months you don’t have to make a new one.
- Rabbits are rodents, so those who want to preserve cages for rabbits, all parts of the skeleton of a tree that are located inside the cage, it is better to protect, obbiv metal. It only takes a few hours, but then the cage for rabbits will then last 10 years longer.
- Antiseptic can not be used. Pets may be poisoned.
- The roof should not suffer from moisture. For her, it is better to use slate. If your rabbits live on the street, do not make a metal roof. Under the influence of the sun, it becomes hot, and animals will be uncomfortable in this stuffy space.
- A bar (50×50 mm) is used for the rabbit house frame. Can be made of metal. The netting of the Chain-link, whose cells are 25×25 mm, is suitable for plating. The grid is needed for the facade, for the sides of houses and doors. The back is always made deaf, because they are bad drafts.
- In order to build a floor, take a grid with cells of 25×25 mm or 10×25. Because of this, feces do not accumulate inside the cell, but accumulate in a special bunker or roll down to the ground along an inclined one. Solid floor in the rabbitry you will not see.
When building a cage for rabbits, you must follow some rules
Rabbits have very pungent urine, which is absorbed into a solid floor and causes wood to rot. If not mesh, then the floor can be covered with bars, between which there are gaps of 0.5 – 1 cm. Experienced breeders advise laying a small sheet of plywood on the floor. Then the rabbits will not poddermatit. But it must be constantly removed and washed, dried.
How to build a cage for rabbits
The drawing can be done on its own, focusing on the size of the cage for the rabbits: size 1.5 by 0.7 m and height 0.7 m. m, 1.2 m high in front, and 1 m behind. To produce a drawing of such a cell is not difficult.
How to make a cage for rabbits with your own hands? Here is a step by step guide. Prepare all necessary materials:
- plywood, 2 sheets (* 1.5 by 1.5 m), 10 mm thick;
- bars, 10 pieces: length 3 m, 30 * 50 mm;
- metal mesh with cells 15 mm, 3 m;
- self-tapping screws 30 and 70 mm, 2 kg;
- tools for work.
Manufacturing frame. On a solid smooth surface, we collect a frame with a size of 3 m by 0.7 m and a height of 1.2 in front and 1 m behind the structure. The frame should be on the legs.
The cage frame for rabbits
We fix the grid to the floor of the future cell, it may not reach the edges of the cell, because there will be a mother liquor. The floor of the mother liquor is solid.
Making the back wall: cut it to size and attach to the screws over the entire area. Plywood sheets fasten along the edges of the cell, where there is no mesh – these are future queen cells.
Start working on queen cells. To do this, attach the bar, located vertically, and fasten a wall to it, in it according to the rules make a hole. The bars are attached to the walls of the mother liquor, and the mother liquor cap is attached to them.
Rabbit cage: making queen cells
Making trough: Need to make a device for feeding. In the middle of the cage we fasten a vertical bar, two feeders are attached to it, 7 cm high, and 30 cm wide. Two bars are fixed above the feeder at a distance of 20 cm, these are guides. From plywood you need to make a frame for the feed, a special device, the top of which fits between the guides, and the bottom sits directly in the feeder.
Rabbit cage: making feeders
Rabbit cage: feeder mounted on the frame
Next to the main feeder is installed a hay feeder, which is made of steel wire.
Rabbit Cage: Hay Feeder
Free space we sheathe plywood, install the roof, in which the inlet – 5 cm in front and 10 cm on each side and rear. In the middle there should be a hole in which the feed will be laid. From above it is better to install the cover so that rodents do not fall into it. It remains only to install the doors 30 to 50 cm. For their manufacture you need a grid. The cage is ready.
If you don’t like this scheme of making a cage for rabbits with your own hands, there is a detailed video instruction. There is a step by step explanation. True drawing will have to do yourself.
Learn to make cage for rabbits
Breeding rabbits – profitable and uncomplicated exercise. These animals do not require special care and exceptional conditions of detention, so 2-3 eared fluffy can be settled in the dacha or even in the apartment.
Many beginning farmers are engaged in breeding rabbits. And the first thing that should be purchased for a rabbit farm is cells.
Rabbits are animals that do not require special conditions of detention. That is why it is not necessary to buy houses for them: they can be made independently.
Advantages of self-made houses:
- the construction takes into account all the features of the room, its location and conditions of detention;
- significantly reduced costs for the arrangement of the rabbit farm;
- self-fabrication of cells will help avoid marriages, which are often allowed at the factory.
An example of a homemade house in the photo.
Advantages of factory cells:
- ideal design, which provides optimal conditions for the life of animals;
- the structure is equipped with nests, drinking bowls, feeders, pallets;
- factory products are constantly being improved, their designs are becoming more complex: when buying a finished cage, the farmer can be sure that he will become the owner of modern equipment.
Factory houses presented on the photo.
Tip! Buying ready-made cages will cost a considerable amount, while self-manufacturing of rabbit dwellings is a very budget event.
If you are seriously going to start breeding rabbits, then you will have to build several rooms:
- for fattening baby rabbits;
- for keeping rabbits with cubs;
- for males.
To provide rabbits with housing, you need to build a whole “residential complex”. It can be installed both on the street and in the barn: it all depends on the environmental conditions of a particular region. Drawings for creating cells can be developed independently or found ready in specialized journals and on the Internet.
Cages for males
Males are settled in separate houses. This allows you to avoid fights, fighting for food, as well as unplanned mating (if males and females are kept in the same room).
The size of the house should be such that the rabbit can move freely inside it. If the males are cramped, they will become lazy and obese.
And this may affect the reproductive function: rabbits will stop producing offspring.
Rabbit cages with cubs
Houses for rabbits with rabbits should be spacious enough. They are located in one tier and consist of two sections: the main and uterine. In order not to freeze cubs in winter, the uterus must be carefully warmed.
Cages for feeding young animals
Rabbits are populated in such houses at the age of 2-3 months, if they could not gain the necessary weight during the period of their stay with the mother. To give the female an opportunity to give birth to new rabbits, the grown up cubs are deposited in a separate room and fed to the desired weight.
Now there are a lot of modifications, but still the most popular design for keeping rabbits is a two-section cage.
Adult Rabbit Cage
House for adult animals can be made by hand. It will take several hours to create a home, but you can be sure that the room meets all the requirements for keeping furry pets.
The finished cage for adult animals is represented in the photo.
Stages of work:
- Make from 4 wooden bars the frame of the house. It should be rectangular; its dimensions are equal to the length and width of the future product.
- Install the house on the legs. To do this, take 4 bars: 2 of them should have a length equal to the height of the front wall + 30 cm, and another 2 – the height of the rear wall + 30 cm. cm). Screw them to a rectangular base so that it rises 30 cm above the floor. These will be the legs.
- Attach a galvanized grid to the rectangular base of the floor so that it covers the middle part of the room. From each side, leave a space of 35–40 cm in length for nesting compartments. Cover the nest floor with suitable size plywood so that it slightly grabs the net.
- Install the side and back wall of plywood and finish the frame house. To do this, fix between the front side bars 1 long beam at the top.
- Separate the nest compartments from the rest of the premises with slats. Install spacers between these slats and the back wall: plywood sheets with holes cut into them. Holes are needed so that rabbits move freely between the breeding and feeding compartments. Attach a roof to each socket.
- Divide the room into 2 sections with a crossbar. Make plywood troughs and screw them on opposite sides of the separating rail.
- To keep the bottom well, turn the structure upside down and secure the net with nails and battens.
- The bunker for feeders make of 4 sheets of plywood, which should be slightly smaller than the house. The bunker should look like the letter "V" and expand upwards. Attach it between the feeders so that after pouring the feed from this funnel unhindered fed into the feeders.
- Close to the back wall make a manger for coarser food: hay and grass. Their width should be 30 cm. To make it convenient for rabbits to pull out blades of grass, make walls of wire rods on both sides.
- Attach the roof to the cage. It should protrude slightly above the cage. In the middle, where the feeders are located, build a slider door that you can slide out to feed. For convenience, attach to it a wooden or metal handle.
- Attach the doors to the front wall, which are made of slats. Stretch the net between the slats. Nest compartments can be left without external openings, or solid wooden doors can be used for them.
Drawings for the manufacture of such cells are easy to find.
Houses for three-month rabbits
Up to three months, rabbits contain groups of 6–8 individuals, therefore group dwellings are used for their maintenance. They are made in the same way as double houses. The only difference is that for a large number of rabbits a different feeding system is required: they simply cannot eat all together from a small feeder.
Stages of work:
- The skeleton of the house is made in the same way as the skeleton of double cages for adult animals. However, it is not necessary to divide the room into two sections. The cage will consist of breeding and aft compartments. At the same time, the nested compartment should be 1.5 times less than the feed one.
- The floor of the nesting compartment is covered with tree armpit and separated from the aft plywood wall with a hole for the movement of animals. The outer wall of the socket must be made of plywood.
- The floor and the front part of the aft compartment are made of mesh. In front of the need to attach the door, made of rails.
- Along the entire length of the feed compartment, place the feeder. It should be placed in such a way that part of it is in the cage, and part of it is outside (for the convenience of laying hay). It is made of mesh, so that animals can conveniently pull out grass. It is better to raise the feeder above the floor by 3–4 cm so that the food is not contaminated by the waste of the little rabbit.
Tip! Up to 12 animals can be held simultaneously in such a cage.
There are ready-made drawings for the manufacture of such cells.
Two-tier (three-tier) shed
Two-tier and three-tier structures are made in the same way as two-section houses for adult rabbits. But in this case, several cells are located one above the other in tiers.
Stages of manufacturing a two-tier shed:
- Make 3 rectangular frames. They will become the floor and roof of future cells.
- Strengthen them on the long bars. Connect the first rectangle with the bars so that the legs remain 30 cm high below. Attach the next rectangle 50 cm above the previous one, and the third 10 cm above the second.
- On the first and third rectangles, fix the galvanized mesh, which will be the floor for the aft compartment. Equip both houses in the same way as a regular two-section cage.
- The second rectangle will simultaneously serve as a roof for the lower house and a tray for the upper one. Between the second and third rectangles you need to install a removable box into which waste from the upper house will be dumped through the grid.
Thus, you can make not only a two-tier, but also a three-tier shed. If you make several such structures, then you get a real rabbit farm.
How a multi-tiered structure for keeping rabbits may look can be seen in the photo.
Rabbit House with Nest
To make a house for a rabbit with a nest, you need to take into account some of the features of this structure. The house for the rabbit is built separately from other structures. Well, if it is portable, so that animals can be moved from the street to the barn.
Stages of work:
- Chuck the frame for the house, from plywood make the back wall and side. In this construction there should be two compartments: the main and the uterine.
- For each of them, make a separate door: to the rabbit compartment – from the grid, to the mother liquor – from plywood or thin boards.
- To prevent rabbits from freezing, warm the queen cell. It is desirable to make it a double floor, walls and roof, in the space between which you need to put insulation: foam, straw or any other material. If the winters are very cold, then the “warm floor” system will do: between the two levels of the floor a hot-water bottle is laid. The wire from the unit is brought out so that the animals do not nibble it.
- The roof is covered with water-repellent material.
The photo shows how the house for a rabbit with a cub should look like.
Do I need a house with a walk?
If the owner of the rabbit farm has a large green area at its disposal, then the houses with a walking range are in this case an excellent option. They look just like ordinary rabbit houses, only on the back wall they have a door through which rabbits are let out for a walk.
Place for walking can be made by hand. Behind the cage you need to equip a large aviary. Its frame is made of wooden slats, and the walls are covered with a dense mesh. It is better to place the enclosure on the sunny side: rabbits spend most of their lives in dark cages, and they simply need the sun.
Tip! If your farm is safe enough for rabbits to graze on the grass, then houses with a hill can be made without legs. Then animals can eat pasture. And when the grass in the aviary is over, the rabbit dwelling can simply be moved to another place. If on the farm there is a possibility that mice, cats or martens will fall into the aviary, the aviary will be equipped on piles.
What is the advantage of cells with walking? The fact is that rabbits need space to run. If they have the opportunity to stay in the fresh air and periodically knead their paws, they will be less sore, gain weight faster and be more active. In addition, the fur in such animals will be much more fluffy and shiny than their sedentary relatives.
A house with a walk may be the same as in the photo.
Tips for building a hand-made cage
Place for the house
The choice of location for the house depends on the climatic conditions of the region. If winter frosts in your area – a rarity, then rabbit houses can be easily placed on the street. However, you should choose a place where there are no drafts and excessive moisture: rabbits are prone to colds.
Tip! Rabbits can be kept indoors as well, but the ideal option is combined maintenance: in summer, rabbit houses are exposed to fresh air, and in winter they are sent back to the barn or house.
If you install shed cells, then it is desirable to arrange them in two rows and turn the facades to each other. An adult should be free to pass between the rows.
Rabbits do not like intense lighting, but if the houses are in a shed, then the room should be equipped with several lamps. They should cover the rabbit dwelling 8–10 hours a day.
For the manufacture of cells with your own hands it is recommended to use the following materials:
- wood (parallel bars, slats, plywood);
- galvanized mesh with a small cell size (it depends on the size of the rabbits);
- plastic for finishing work;
- slate or roof tiles if the cage is outside.
Tip! All wooden parts of the product should be well polished, and the edges of galvanized mesh – tightly nailed to the surface. Rabbits – gentle creatures that can easily get hurt about poorly processed parts of the home.
For the arrangement of rabbit cells is not recommended to use metal. Under the rays of the sun, this material is very hot, and in the cold season it freezes. In such a dwelling, the rabbits will feel uncomfortable, start to hurt and stop breeding.
To make a house for rabbits with your own hands, you will need the following tools:
- hacksaw for wood;
- scissors for cutting the grid;
- nails, screws, screws, corners;
- screwdriver and screwdriver;
The size of rabbit cells depends on the size of the animals. The single cage for the male rabbit should be at least 0.6 m wide and 0.8–1.1 m long. If the rabbits are large, then the dimensions of the section should be increased. One rabbit weighing more than 5 kg requires premises ranging in length from 1.3 to 1.5 m.
The size of the room for the young depends on the number of rabbits. They can be placed 5–8, and with a compacted landing – 12 individuals per lodge. The width of the cells in this case should be 1 m, height – from 0.35 to 0.6 m, and length – 2-3 m.
In any case, one adult rabbit should not be less than 0.5–0.7 m2, and one cub should be less than 0.15–0.2 m2.
After studying these simple recommendations, you can easily equip your rabbit farm. If you make pet houses yourself, the company will cost a small amount. And the rabbits bring considerable income: after all, not only the tender meat of these animals is appreciated, but also their wool and dung.
Rabbit cells do it yourself: drawings, diagrams
Breeding and keeping pets implies a greater degree of responsibility of the breeder and requires strict adherence to certain rules. One of the most important is the creation of acceptable living conditions for the animal. They should be close to nature.
Rabbits have a high degree of resistance to various diseases. They are unpretentious to food and conditions of detention, easily reproduce. But despite all this, animals need a properly organized dwelling.
By building a house for pets must be approached correctly. This takes into account the number of animals, their sex composition and age.
What do you need for rabbit breeding?
To do the breeding of rabbits at home, special cash costs are not required. It is necessary to have cages for animals, drinkers, containers for food. All this is easy to do with your own hands.
Hay and twigs can be made in the summer. Root vegetables and vegetables are easy to collect in their own garden. The main item of expenditure will be the vaccination of animals and the purchase of concentrated feed.
Recommended Rabbit Cages
In each cage, same-sex animals of approximately the same age, mass and character should be placed. It is recommended to place adult animals and females with baby rabbits in one- and two-section cages.
The sizes of rabbit cells have standard indicators:
- length – 100-120 cm;
- height – 50 cm;
- width – 70 cm.
For young rabbits fit wooden cages, covered with steel mesh. Their sizes correspond to the sizes of animals. For example, for 10 individuals, a cage with the same dimensions as mentioned above will become acceptable, but its length should be 170 cm.
How to build a single tier cell?
Many are interested in how to make a rabbit cage with their own hands. Of course, with the right materials, it’s not that difficult. The article presents drawings of rabbit cells. It also provides recommendations on the choice of materials for work.
For keeping rabbits outside in the cage system, double single-tier rabbit cells are most popular.
The length of such cells is 220-240 cm, and the width is 65 cm. The height of the front wall is 35 cm. The roof should be with one slope, equipped with a visor jutting forward 20 cm, and on the sides 10 cm.
In the cage are built two compartments for food. The floor is made of metal mesh. The size of the cells must be equal to 18×18 mm or 16×48 mm. On the grid should impose a wooden slats, the width of which is 2 cm, and the connector between them is 1.5-1.8 cm.
Rabbit cages with their own hands with the correct design should have a partition with a manhole, the width of which is 17 cm, and a height of 20 cm. It should be located between the nest and the stern compartment in order to prevent the rabbits from entering the stern section. Laz is constructed at a height of 10-15 cm from the floor.
From the front side, two mesh doors are hung on the cage, which lead to the feeding section, as well as two solid doors from the boards leading to the nest compartment. On the door leading to the stern, it is necessary to hang the trough with a removable design and drinkers.
A nursery is set up for feeding with roughage between branches. The basis of them are two frames of wood, on which the grid is stretched. The mesh size should be 20×50 mm. The lower ends of the frames are combined, and the upper parts are moved apart to the sides of the feed compartment. The result is a V-shaped nursery for roughage.
What materials will be needed?
For the construction of a single-tier cage on two individuals, the performer will need:
- Plywood area of 2 m2.
- Grid of metal with a mesh size of 18×18 mm or welded mesh 16×48 mm (1.3 m2).
- Grid with cells 35×35 cm or 24×48 cm (0.6 m2).
Making bunk cells
The cost of building a two-tier animal cage is not so high. This is because the design is simple. In addition, cash costs will pay off in the first months of use.
What materials will be needed?
For the manufacture of cells with two tiers you will need:
- Two wood fiber plates.
- Bars size 60×100 mm (4 pcs.).
- Picket pins (50 pcs.).
- Roofing material 4×2 m in size for the construction of a pallet.
What equipment is required?
- Two deep bowls covered with enamel (their diameter should be 220 mm).
- Manure collection tank (approximately 300 mm high).
- A pair of electric immersion heaters VPI-03 (used for domestic purposes, immersed in water).
- Transformers for lowering 220×127 V (4 pieces per 8 cells).
- Five liter polyethylene canisters (4 pieces).
Rabbit cages must be arranged according to how the light will fall. The deaf closed wall, where the creche boxes and feeders are located, must face north. It protects animals from winds and cold.
The roof is constructed taking into account that it hangs from the north by 90 cm, and from the south by 60 cm. From the west and east, the roof should be on a par with protruding beams.
Rabbit bunk cells contain a stand-frame, the lower and upper tier. You can build a roof of the roof. As a rule, use a transparent or translucent material. It is possible to use ruberoid.
The tier above is an otsadnik, that is, it will serve as a place for growing rabbits after the end of feeding on mother’s milk. This room is made from different cells. One of them should be larger than the frame.
The breeder is divided into two parts by means of a feeder for feed, which has exits on both sides. Also here is a common canister drinking bowl. Each compartment should be equipped with a folding feeder for animal feed, nurseries for fresh and dry grass. They have the appearance of an opening door. The door adjoins to the autosoldering system.
The floor at the tier is horizontal. Its basis can be made of wooden slats, which are arranged at an angle of 45º, so that little rabbits could not injure their paws. All walls and doors of the cage are made of lattice. The exception is the north side.
Below is the uterine tier. It consists of two compartments: nesting and walking. It can also include the same components that are present in the upper tier.
The compartment for the nest has a removable floor. It is located below the rest of the longline area. In this compartment will be placed mother liquor. Before the rabbit brings the babies, she instinctively sneaks into it herself.
The rest of the nest should be stationary. It is supplied with a wall with a manhole, overlapping gate. It is better to equip the door to the nest with hinges from below, so that in the open state it serves as a platform for the animal.
Vigilance compartment provide floor of the rails, arranged perpendicularly. This provides rigidity. In the area for walking there is a canister drinker, a folding feeder and a bunker feeder for animal feed. The entrance door is hung on the rack of the rear part of the walk. For the auto drinker the door must also be installed.
In the floor of the booster compartment there is a window under the end of the conical shaft, fastened under the floor of the upper tier. Pitched mine communicates with the bunker, equipped with a removable door and a container for manure. Thus, rabbit cages will be cleaned by special doors, which will also make available feed tanks. The tanks themselves are located under the inclined grids of the feeders.
At the bottom of the cell frame is a compartment of electrical equipment. At the same time, this place serves as an outhouse for rabbits. It should be locked. For convenient loading of feeders it is necessary to build it folding out.
The design of the feeder for feed has a housing with windows for rabbits, as well as a pallet. It is constructed from a grid with small cells.
All folding components must be equipped with handles, hinges and latches, as well as, if necessary, and mortise locks.
The side and front walls are tightened by means of a fine mesh, the working side can be closed with a mesh with large cells.
Mini-farm of bunk cells
For the construction of a small farm on the basis of bunk cells do not need a lot of space. One cell occupies 1.4 m2. If you build a two-row farm and use eight cells with a 70 cm opening between them (measured on legs) and a 110 cm passage, the area of the truss will be 25 m2.
Each cage simultaneously contains up to 25 rabbits. In the lower part there will be a rabbit with a new offspring, and at the top – the previous offspring.
Over the years, cells from two tiers have been used on experimental farms and have shown their high profitability and profitability. So their use is recommended for all farmers.
Making a family unit – cells of three sections
Making rabbit cages with their own hands of this design is a more difficult task. But such family blocks are very convenient for the reproduction of animals. In the central part of the male lives, and on the sides are rabbit.
Partitions made of wood between the cell compartments are equipped with manholes with plywood latches. They are intended for easy replanting of females to the male and returning them back to their ward.
What materials does the cage build from?
The basis of the frame can make bars. The walls on the sides, the compartment for the nest with doors and partitions are made of clapboard.
For the front wall using a grid of metal. In the nesting compartments, an attic part is provided – this is the free space between the ceiling and the common roof, where the female rabbits can rest.
An additional convenience is that the location of the feeders and drinkers is thought out in such a way that they are not susceptible to contamination and can be filled from the outside.
Rabbit cages by design breeder N. I. Zolotukhina
The famous rabbit breeder N. I. Zolotukhin has been breeding these lovely animals for several decades. Such a wealth of experience helped him design a new rabbit cage.
Features breeder cells
- The floor is solid. Its basis is slate or board.
- There are no pallets in the cages.
- A narrow strip of the floor of the grid is located only along the rear walls of the structure.
- The rear walls are installed with a slope so that the rabbits’ waste from the tiers located at the top does not fall on the rabbits in the lower tiers.
- There are no special queen cells. The little rabbit builds her own nest before birth.
- On the doors are mounted feed troughs for grain, turned over to fill.
The rabbit map is presented below.
How to make a cage for rabbits dwarf breed with your own hands?
The construction consists of two walls on the sides, the size of which is 70×70 cm. The back wall is fastened in such a way that a clearance is obtained under the cage. The height of the back wall is 55 cm, length – 100 cm.
At the bottom of the cage nailed meter rails. Over them the grid from metal is fixed.
The cover of the cage is made of mesh on the hinges. It is equipped with a pen. A pallet is installed under the cage.
How to choose a grid?
In the manufacture of rabbitks, of course, need a grid. In order for the manufacturer to better understand what choice of grid will be optimal, we advise you to use a number of tips.
Many people ask: is galvanized mesh suitable, material made of steel or aluminum? It is better to opt for a steel structure, as it is durable.
To make a cage made of wood with mesh doors and a floor, you should choose the mesh carefully so that it does not injure the paws of animals. Experienced breeders advise using it with small cells. The material is made of metal. The thickness of the grid is 2 mm, and the size of the cells is 16×48 mm. For the construction of the side walls of the cage suitable galvanized mesh.
For the construction of the door using any type of grid. It does not have to be welded. Allowed to use and wicker.
In the warm season, animals can be kept in an enclosure enclosed with a net. A wicker construction with a thickness of 1.2 mm is suitable for it.
Mastering the construction of cages for rabbits
Making a cage for rabbits with your own hands is not so difficult. First of all, it is necessary to determine the design and size of self-made cells, make drawings. Based on the selected parameters, the material is purchased, the necessary tools are prepared. In order to better understand how to make a cage for rabbits with your own hands, you can study video materials and photos.
The most common option for keeping fluffy pets are double two-section cages for rabbits. They are great for keeping young. There are other designs:
- single section;
- group for young animals;
- mini-farm Mikhailova;
- mini-farm Zolotukhin.
Determine the size and make the drawing
The sizes of cages for rabbits depend on the age, size, breed of animals and their number. On average, rooms with a length of 120–150 centimeters, a width of 60–80 centimeters, and a wall height of 35–50 centimeters are used.
For young animals, the size can be reduced in length to 90 centimeters. In this case, it is considered that one adult should be at least 0.5-0.7 square meters.
The minimum standards for young stock are 0.1-0.2 square meters.
Rabbits for fattening often contain together, so for the young, you can build a separate house. Rabbits and newly born offspring are also kept together. In this case, the space of the house, according to the instructions, is divided into the main and uterine compartment. Males are kept separately.
You should not make cages for rabbits too cramped, low activity can badly affect the well-being of animals. This is especially bad for the young.
Determining the size of cells, it is necessary to make the drawings of the selected design. It should be borne in mind that the cells are best done on elevation from the ground. This will serve as protection from rodents, to facilitate the care of the premises. In order to save space, two-sectional constructions can be made two-tier. An overview of the different types of cells can be seen in the video.
Prepare the material
In order to build cells at home you need to prepare the material. It is important to take care that it is natural and safe.
Therefore, it is recommended to purchase wooden blocks, boards or thick plywood, slats for construction.
In addition, you will need galvanized mesh, roofing materials, screws, nails, iron sheets, door hinges, latches or hooks on the doors.
The following tools will help to build houses for animals at home: a hammer, a drill, a saw, a plane, a screwdriver, a tape measure, pliers. Depending on the design chosen, other devices may be needed. For more information about the materials and tools for creating houses for animals, see the video.
Step by step instructions built
Having prepared all the required tools and materials, you can start making your own rabbit cage.
Step-by-step instructions will help even beginners to correctly build houses for these animals at home. The first step is to make the frame of the bars. Then you should lay the floor.
It is usually made of mesh or battens so that animal feces do not accumulate on the surface.
If the animals are kept outside, you can make a double floor, warm it. Some offer to make removable pallets under the main floor to make it easier to clean. The next step is to install the rear walls of the structure. For this you need sheets of plywood or boards. It is recommended to make them shorter than the front.
The walls can also be made of mesh, but it is more comfortable for rabbits in more enclosed spaces. Therefore, the side walls are also worth making deaf. In the two-cell cage in the middle make partitions and install the feeder-sennik. The front wall can be made of mesh or plywood boards. It is necessary to install the doors of the rails and the grid or solid.
If animals are kept all year round on the street, then you need to take care of creating warm rooms. at home allows lightweight version of the house of the grid. When creating portable cells, they are created comfortable, both for street and for home content. If structures with several tiers are used, a distance should be left between them.
The roof should be made with small sheds. It can also be made from plywood. However, for street maintenance it is necessary to cover it with slate or other roofing material. It is not recommended to use metal because it may freeze or heat up too much. Experienced breeders are advised to make it removable or hinged, which simplifies the process of cleaning.
What we place inside the cells
Depending on which rabbits are kept in the houses, their content may differ. When keeping rabbits and young stock, queen cells and nest boxes are installed inside.
In the cages for group keeping of young stock nesting boxes and warm rooms are also installed. Sometimes they make special indoor enclosures for walking.
For animals of any age are made feeders, senniki, bunker devices, drinkers.
Having built houses for rabbits at home, I want to keep them longer. However, it is not recommended to treat wood with varnish or special impregnations.
Fluffy animals love to gnaw everything and can be poisoned by such chemical means. For better preservation of the houses, you can pad them inside with metal sheets.
After completing all the work you need to once again inspect your building and check it for safety for animals.
Photo 1. Feeder-sennik inside the cagePhoto 2. Scheme for the construction with a queen cell Photo 3. Scheme of the house for rabbits Photo 4. Drawings of the mini-farm Photo 5. Drawing of the cell assembly Photo 6. Internal device of the house
"Rabbit cage, turn-based construction"
In this video, you can clearly see the step-by-step instructions on the construction of cottages for rabbits.