Any rabbit needs its own place where it will feel completely safe. With the massive breeding of eared farmers, they develop entire cellular complexes, but at home, if you have only a few animals, you can do with simple products made with your own hands. How to make a rabbit house without bulky drawings and expensive materials, this article will tell.
Housing requirements for rabbits
Regardless of what kind of rabbit you are preparing a house (a dwarf decorative or the usual large), there are a number of general points that you should definitely consider when developing a design.
First of all, they include:
- The optimal size of the building, so that the animal could freely accommodate in it and even straighten up to its full height (if there is no space for such a construction, you will have to build a smaller house, but with the condition of regular pet walking).
- Calculation of construction parameters "for growth". For a rabbit, the size of his house should be at least 4 times the size of his current parameters, of course, if you do not want to redo the house in the future. The standard sizes of a refuge for representatives of dwarf breeds: 140 * 80 * 50 (D / Sh / V).
- Selection of quality materials. Any rabbits are very sensitive to toxic substances, so when choosing raw materials it is better to give preference to clean, not varnished wood.
- Arrangement of the mesh floor (always with small cells) or installing a special tray for excrement, covered with a hard mat (its corners should be bent beforehand so that the animal does not injure itself).
- Construction height: either for the full height of the animal (its height is measured in a standing position), or taking into account the number of tiers (for two-floor structures, the height of each floor can be reduced by 40 cm).
- Place to install feeders and drinkers (it is important that they can be fixed well and not turn over).
How to make a house for the rabbit do it yourself
For rabbits intended for meat, wooden cages are usually arranged, in which compartments for the rabbit and young are immediately provided. Of course, such a solution would be more expensive, but its advantage is in durability and reusable use.
For decorative animals kept in the home, a simpler version will do: cooking a house for them can even be from a regular box, and if it gets dirty or not liked by a child, then it can be replaced with another one (there is no shortage of such material). We propose to consider both versions of the step-by-step arrangement of housing for eared birds.
From the box
The cardboard house is not durable and is not suitable for the permanent maintenance of a pet., but if a temporary dwelling is required for a decorative or even an ordinary rabbit, then this option is not the worst. For one baby, one small box, 60 * 30 * 40 cm in size (L / V / W), will be enough, especially if a cardboard house is needed mainly for sleeping or a short stay of the animal in it.
Larger animals will need several boxes connected together with the help of available tools. So, in the latter case, the following should be prepared for the construction of the structure:
- two cardboard boxes with a height of at least 30 cm in height and 40–50 cm in length (the exact dimensions depend on the parameters of the animal itself);
Once all the required materials and tools are ready, you can proceed to the construction of the house itself. The sequence of actions in this case is as follows:
- Take one of the boxes, put it on its side and draw a circle on the second side with a compass – the boundaries of the future entrance (it is not necessary to leave the threshold below, you can simply not finish the circle, it will be slightly cut off at the bottom).
- Draw the same holes from two lateral, narrower sides (only the back wall of the box should be intact).
- Having cut all three entrances along the circle, turn the box over and lay its upper edges one after another, taping the joints with scotch tape (the result should be a solid construction that remains stable).
- Do the same actions with compasses with the second box, only so that as a result it will have two entrances: one on the side (the same as in the side of the first box), and the second in the middle.
- Gluing the top of the second cardboard box, it remains to connect both products together, simply by attaching them to each other with tape (inside the side openings of both boxes must match).
- If you wish, you can decorate the boxes with drawings or cover them with self-adhesive paper, but this will no longer be a strategically important task.
As a result of the work done, you should have a long shelter with two entrances in the center and one side opening. Inside you can install a bowl with food and fix the non-spill drinker. The bottom is usually covered with hay or hard, preferably not getting wet mat.
Video: How to make a cardboard house for a rabbit
This option for rabbit housing is more successful, especially considering their ability to nibble virtually any surface. In addition, the wooden product has a more attractive appearance, so it can fit into any interior of the master’s house (if we are talking about the structure for decorative rabbits).
If there are solid and even wooden boards, it’s good, but if there aren’t, the building made of chipboard of plywood, wooden profiles, grids and tin, which even a novice in carpentry can handle, will look just as impressive. Based on the size, such a structure can be placed both inside the house and outside its walls, which contain not large decorative animals, but ordinary large animals. In addition to materials, you will also need:
- nails and screws (including those with large caps);
- small hinges on the door;
- Chipboard (the exact number and size depends on the parameters of the future design, the area of walls, ceiling and floor);
- tin sheet (not less than 60 * 100 cm);
- fine galvanized mesh;
- wooden slats;
- scissors for metal.
The whole process of making a rabbit cage in this case looks like this:
- To begin with, cut from the chipboard sheet an element for the future floor (for example, a rectangle 100 * 60 cm).
- Then cut the same tin piece and fasten it with the previous one using self-tapping screws.
- For the construction of walls, cut two pieces of 60 * 50 cm and two rectangular pieces of 100 * 50 cm.
- Noting in the right places the boundaries of future windows and doors, carefully cut them with a small file.
- Fasten the walls of the structure together (nails are used), and then attach the floor to them, fixing it with self-tapping screws (for ease of connection, you can use metal corners of the desired length).
- On the apertures for the windows, fix the grid, fixing it from the inside with small nails with large caps.
- From the slats and mesh, make a door and, hanging it on the door hinges, fasten it in the doorway. If you wish, you can attach a hook to it and, having arranged a loop on the side, close the rabbits inside in this way.
- Decide what kind of rabbit roof you need: flat or dvukhskatnaya. The first is usually made removable (it is simply superimposed on the walls and removed to clean the house), and the second is fixed with nails.
At this rabbit house can be considered ready, and it remains only to install troughs and some toys for your pet inside the trough.
Video: DIY rabbit cage
How and what to build a house inside
A wooden or cardboard house made according to the above scheme is only a box with holes, which, for the convenience of the pet, must also be properly arranged from the inside. If you are going to keep decorative rabbits in the house, then the rabbit’s floor can be covered with bamboo fiber or other dense, but at the same time soft material. In one of the corners it is worth leaving space for the toilet, covering the surface with a moisture-absorbing cloth or simply setting the tray (many domestic rabbits almost immediately understand what it is for). In bunk constructions, the space for a toilet can be allotted under the stairs.
Care and cleaning of the home
In order to make a house with his own hands, he would remain in its original form a little longer, and the animals would be healthy and not hurt. Drinking bowls and feeders can be washed once a day, and the filler in the tray can be changed once a few days. Remains of dried urine on the floor and walls of the house can be removed using vinegar (enough to soak the soft tissue in this solution and walk on all surfaces).
General cleaning of the rabbit’s home is usually done once a week. It provides for a more thorough cleaning of all surfaces, possibly using a hot iodine or chlorine solution. The mat from the floor must be removed, washed and dried, after which the feeder, drinker and broom are removed and boiled. Special attention should be paid to toys that can either be boiled or treated with pet-friendly disinfecting solution.
Useful tips on keeping rabbits
- Place the cage with the animal only in a room with a constant air temperature within + 18 … + 22 ° C and the complete absence of drafts.
- Take care that other pets (especially cats and dogs), as well as young children, do not have access to an eared pet, because they can not only drive him into stress, but also cause physical injury.
- Never take the rabbit by the ears and do not grab the withers: it causes him considerable discomfort and may even scare.
- Always keep the temperature in the optimal range, preventing overheating of animals (it harms them even more than low temperatures). In the extreme case, if there is no other suitable place in the room, and the sun’s rays fall on the cage, cover it with a wet towel and regularly wipe the animal’s ears with a clean, cold, damp cloth (there should always be drinkers with cold water or even ice in the cage) .
- When airing a rabbit’s room, it is better to move it to another room for a while, placing it in the coolest corner.
- If you do not have time to completely remove the cage, clean at least the toilet to avoid toxic accumulations.
- Organize a walk around the apartment every day, and in the summer period take it out to the courtyard more often, only mostly in the evening (these night animals can sit quietly in a cage all day, becoming active only with the arrival of night).
- Do not limit the movement of the animal, otherwise it will begin to gain weight quickly and will soon become obese, which will adversely affect its overall well-being.
- Long-haired pets will have to additionally comb and periodically trim the hair to avoid rolling it.
- As it grows, it is necessary to trim the claws of the animals, which are special claw cutters.
- For feeding fluffy pets choose only high-quality feed, possibly with the presence of probiotic substances in the composition (they prevent the development of problems with the animal’s stomach). In addition to dry mixes, it is useful to give an apple, a pear (in limited quantities) and vegetables harvested in the summer period to rabbits.
Build a rabbit house is not as difficult as many think, but no matter what option you choose, do not forget that this is where your mission is just beginning. For a comfortable life in it the animal will need appropriate care, the basic rules of which you already know.