If you decide to engage in rabbit breeding, there are a number of basics that need to be taken into account. One of them is the creation of quality cells for the maintenance of these animals. It is necessary to create all the necessary conditions for rabbits so that they do not experience discomfort and can normally exist in limited conditions. It should start with the basic structures, and as you gain experience, you can vary them.
You can not build a cage for a rabbit arbitrarily – there are certain rules that are very important to consider. In particular, at least one 0.72 square meters of area should necessarily fall on one average adult rabbit. If the cell is two-section, then this area increases to 0.78 meters.
The duration of the lighting of rooms with cells every day should be at least 8-10 hours, while not more than 16 hours. The intensity of illumination should be in the range of 30-40 lux. When fattening rabbits, you can reduce the intensity of lighting approximately two times.
Depending on the climatic conditions, the cells are placed either in the fresh air, or use the combined method when in the winter they are transferred to the room.
Also, depending on the climate, cells can be covered with removable shields. These same shields protect the cells on the sides, in places where people pass.
Types of designs
Constructive solutions of cells may vary depending on what age and breed of rabbit. Let us consider some of the most typical situations when different designs for rabbit houses may be needed.
For adult rabbits
If the rabbits are old enough, then it is necessary to make a cage for them from two compartments. The length should be at least 1.4 meters, but better – 2 meters or more.
The width will start from 0.6 meters, and the height – from 0.5 meters. Between the sections you can place the feed section.
An alternative option that will save space is a two-story house for adult rabbits. In fact, this is the same two-piece house, only the sections will be located vertically.
If for each adult rabbit usually allocate their own section, the young growth is kept in groups. Therefore, the cell size will be slightly higher than usual. The length in this case should begin from two meters, width – from meter, height – from 0.35 meters. To calculate whether there is enough space for your rabbits in a built cage, proceed from the fact that each of them should account for approximately 0.12 square meters.
If you decide to use for young animals not specialized cages, but those that were previously built for adults, you must proceed from the same principle and allocate 0.12 square meters for each, then the animals will be comfortable enough.
For rabbit with litter
If you have a rabbit with litter, then the conditions for it require special. Her cell will consist of uterine and aft parts, separated by a partition.
There must be a manhole in this partition, but in order to prevent small rabbits from using them, it is necessary to lift this manhole at least 10 centimeters above the floor.
For giant rabbits
Giant rabbits are a very popular breed, because of their size, but this size also imposes restrictions on what kind of aviary should be. To breed this breed, it is necessary that the length was not less than 1.7 meters, width – not less than 0.75 meters, and height – not less than 0.55 meters.
Tip: It is better, of course, to make the houses even more so that the giant rabbits have room to maneuver.
Necessary tools and materials
For the construction of the cell will require:
- plywood sheets (preferred thickness – not less than a centimeter).
- wooden bars (optimal section – 3 to 5 cm).
- metal mesh with cells of about 1.5 cm.
- self-tapping screws.
- tools for working with wood and mounting screws.
The amount of materials will strongly depend on the breed of the rabbit, because different breeds require different cell sizes.
Tips on creating
Consider the order of construction of a typical cell:
- The formation of the frame. At this stage, the basis of the future construction is assembled from a wooden beam with the following dimensions: 0.7 meters wide, 3 meters long, meter high at the back and 1.2 meters high at the front.
- On the floor of the future cell is mounted mesh. There is no need to install it from edge to edge, there will be queen cells with a solid wooden floor on each side, the grid is needed only in the central part.
- On the self-tapping screws to the frame, the back wall cut out of plywood is mounted.
- Front of the cell bars outlined the border of the queen cell, To these bars and the rear surface of the cell, the wall of the mother liquor is first mounted with a manhole cut in it, then the ceiling.
- The guide bar is attached to the bottom of the cage in the center., Feeders are installed on it, measuring approximately 7-8 cm in height and 25-30 in width.
- In the center of the upper part of the frame are installed two guides of the bar at a distance of 20 cm from each other.
- A construction for feeding feed in the form of a narrowing pyramid is being assembled from bars and plywood., the top of which should fit between the guides, and the bottom – to stand clearly in the trough.
- Side of it from a bar and vertical steel rods made hay feeder.
- Further, the entire construction on the sides and on top is sheathed with plywood., front doors are made of timber and mesh. Above it is necessary to provide a hole for laying the feed, which is also better to protect the door from rodents.
In order for the rabbit cage to serve for a long time and it would not have to be changed, the following tips should be followed:
- if you are going to place a cage on the street, do not make its metal roof. It will be heated, as a result, the animal will be very uncomfortable;
- inside, on the contrary, it is preferable to upholster the cage with metal, thus protecting all wooden surfaces. Rabbits are rodents by nature, therefore pure wooden surfaces they will become unusable very quickly;
- the floor, as mentioned above, must be made of a grid with small cells. This is done so that feces are not collected on the floor, but fall into a special bunker under the cage. There is an alternative option – do not use the grid, but use bars, between which there are small holes, about half a centimeter or so. But the net would be preferable, because the urine of rabbits is very caustic, it is absorbed into the tree and leads to its active decay. In any case, solid floor is strongly not recommended. However, some experienced rabbit breeders put a small sheet of plywood on the floor, because rabbits can be poddermatit from the grid. But then this plywood must be constantly removed, washed and dried, and not everyone wants to do this;
- Do not use an antiseptic, and this can lead to poisoning of animals.
Making cages for rabbits is a process that depends on a number of different factors. The breed of the rabbit, its age, the peculiarities of its content – and many other factors matter. But in general, the process and principle of creating a cell is approximately the same. Over time, as you gain experience in breeding rabbits, you will be able to adapt their houses so that they are ideally suited for your animals. Until then, relatively simple solutions will do.