Breeding rabbits – profitable and uncomplicated exercise. These animals do not require special care and exceptional conditions of detention, so 2-3 eared fluffy can be settled in the dacha or even in the apartment.
Many beginning farmers are engaged in breeding rabbits. And the first thing that should be purchased for a rabbit farm is cells.
Rabbits are animals that do not require special conditions of detention. That is why it is not necessary to buy houses for them: they can be made independently.
Advantages of self-made houses:
- the construction takes into account all the features of the room, its location and conditions of detention;
- significantly reduced costs for the arrangement of the rabbit farm;
- self-fabrication of cells will help avoid marriages, which are often allowed at the factory.
An example of a homemade house in the photo.
Advantages of factory cells:
- ideal design, which provides optimal conditions for the life of animals;
- the structure is equipped with nests, drinking bowls, feeders, pallets;
- factory products are constantly being improved, their designs are becoming more complex: when buying a finished cage, the farmer can be sure that he will become the owner of modern equipment.
Factory houses presented on the photo.
Tip! Buying ready-made cages will cost a considerable amount, while self-manufacturing of rabbit dwellings is a very budget event.
If you are seriously going to start breeding rabbits, then you will have to build several rooms:
- for fattening baby rabbits;
- for keeping rabbits with cubs;
- for males.
To provide rabbits with housing, you need to build a whole “residential complex”. It can be installed both on the street and in the barn: it all depends on the environmental conditions of a particular region. Drawings for creating cells can be developed independently or found ready in specialized journals and on the Internet.
Cages for males
Males are settled in separate houses. This allows you to avoid fights, fighting for food, as well as unplanned mating (if males and females are kept in the same room). The size of the house should be such that the rabbit can move freely inside it. If the males are cramped, they will become lazy and obese. And this may affect the reproductive function: rabbits will stop producing offspring.
Rabbit cages with cubs
Houses for rabbits with rabbits should be spacious enough. They are located in one tier and consist of two sections: the main and uterine. In order not to freeze cubs in winter, the uterus must be carefully warmed.
Cages for feeding young animals
Rabbits are populated in such houses at the age of 2-3 months, if they could not gain the necessary weight during the period of their stay with the mother. To give the female an opportunity to give birth to new rabbits, the grown up cubs are deposited in a separate room and fed to the desired weight.
Now there are a lot of modifications, but still the most popular design for keeping rabbits is a two-section cage.
Adult Rabbit Cage
House for adult animals can be made by hand. It will take several hours to create a home, but you can be sure that the room meets all the requirements for keeping furry pets.
The finished cage for adult animals is represented in the photo.
Stages of work:
- Make from 4 wooden bars the frame of the house. It should be rectangular; its dimensions are equal to the length and width of the future product.
- Install the house on the legs. To do this, take 4 bars: 2 of them should have a length equal to the height of the front wall + 30 cm, and another 2 – the height of the rear wall + 30 cm. cm). Screw them to a rectangular base so that it rises 30 cm above the floor. These will be the legs.
- Attach a galvanized grid to the rectangular base of the floor so that it covers the middle part of the room. From each side, leave a space of 35–40 cm in length for nesting compartments. Cover the nest floor with suitable size plywood so that it slightly grabs the net.
- Install the side and back wall of plywood and finish the frame house. To do this, fix between the front side bars 1 long beam at the top.
- Separate the nest compartments from the rest of the premises with slats. Install spacers between these slats and the back wall: plywood sheets with holes cut into them. Holes are needed so that rabbits move freely between the breeding and feeding compartments. Attach a roof to each socket.
- Divide the room into 2 sections with a crossbar. Make plywood troughs and screw them on opposite sides of the separating rail.
- To keep the bottom well, turn the structure upside down and secure the net with nails and battens.
- The bunker for feeders make of 4 sheets of plywood, which should be slightly smaller than the house. The bunker should look like the letter "V" and expand upwards. Attach it between the feeders so that after pouring the feed from this funnel unhindered fed into the feeders.
- Close to the back wall make a manger for coarser food: hay and grass. Their width should be 30 cm. To make it convenient for rabbits to pull out blades of grass, make walls of wire rods on both sides.
- Attach the roof to the cage. It should protrude slightly above the cage. In the middle, where the feeders are located, build a slider door that you can slide out to feed. For convenience, attach to it a wooden or metal handle.
- Attach the doors to the front wall, which are made of slats. Stretch the net between the slats. Nest compartments can be left without external openings, or solid wooden doors can be used for them.
Drawings for the manufacture of such cells are easy to find.
Houses for three-month rabbits
Up to three months, rabbits contain groups of 6–8 individuals, therefore group dwellings are used for their maintenance. They are made in the same way as double houses. The only difference is that for a large number of rabbits a different feeding system is required: they simply cannot eat all together from a small feeder.
Stages of work:
- The skeleton of the house is made in the same way as the skeleton of double cages for adult animals. However, it is not necessary to divide the room into two sections. The cage will consist of breeding and aft compartments. At the same time, the nested compartment should be 1.5 times less than the feed one.
- The floor of the nesting compartment is covered with tree armpit and separated from the aft plywood wall with a hole for the movement of animals. The outer wall of the socket must be made of plywood.
- The floor and the front part of the aft compartment are made of mesh. In front of the need to attach the door, made of rails.
- Along the entire length of the feed compartment, place the feeder. It should be placed in such a way that part of it is in the cage, and part of it is outside (for the convenience of laying hay). It is made of mesh, so that animals can conveniently pull out grass. It is better to raise the feeder above the floor by 3–4 cm so that the food is not contaminated by the waste of the little rabbit.
Tip! Up to 12 animals can be held simultaneously in such a cage.
There are ready-made drawings for the manufacture of such cells.
Two-tier (three-tier) shed
Two-tier and three-tier structures are made in the same way as two-section houses for adult rabbits. But in this case, several cells are located one above the other in tiers.
Stages of manufacturing a two-tier shed:
- Make 3 rectangular frames. They will become the floor and roof of future cells.
- Strengthen them on the long bars. Connect the first rectangle with the bars so that the legs remain 30 cm high below. Attach the next rectangle 50 cm above the previous one, and the third 10 cm above the second.
- On the first and third rectangles, fix the galvanized mesh, which will be the floor for the aft compartment. Equip both houses in the same way as usual two-section cage.
- The second rectangle will simultaneously serve as a roof for the lower house and a tray for the upper one. Between the second and third rectangles you need to install a removable box into which waste from the upper house will be dumped through the grid.
Thus, you can make not only a two-tier, but also a three-tier shed. If you make several such structures, then you get a real rabbit farm.
How a multi-tiered structure for keeping rabbits may look can be seen in the photo.
Rabbit House with Nest
To make a house for a rabbit with a nest, you need to take into account some of the features of this structure. The house for the rabbit is built separately from other structures. Well, if it is portable, so that animals can be moved from the street to the barn.
Stages of work:
- Chuck the frame for the house, from plywood make the back wall and side. In this construction there should be two compartments: the main and the uterine.
- For each of them, make a separate door: to the rabbit compartment – from the grid, to the mother liquor – from plywood or thin boards.
- To prevent rabbits from freezing, warm the queen cell. It is desirable to make it a double floor, walls and roof, in the space between which you need to put insulation: foam, straw or any other material. If the winters are very cold, then the “warm floor” system will do: between the two levels of the floor a hot-water bottle is laid. The wire from the unit is brought out so that the animals do not nibble it.
- The roof is covered with water-repellent material.
The photo shows how the house for a rabbit with a cub should look like.
Do I need a house with a walk?
If the owner of the rabbit farm has a large green area at its disposal, then the houses with a walking range are in this case an excellent option. They look just like ordinary rabbit houses, only on the back wall they have a door through which rabbits are let out for a walk.
Place for walking can be made by hand. Behind the cage you need to equip a large aviary. Its frame is made of wooden slats, and the walls are covered with a dense mesh. It is better to place the enclosure on the sunny side: rabbits spend most of their lives in dark cages, and they simply need the sun.
Tip! If your farm is safe enough for rabbits to graze on the grass, then houses with a hill can be made without legs. Then animals can eat pasture. And when the grass in the aviary is over, the rabbit dwelling can simply be moved to another place. If on the farm there is a possibility that mice, cats or martens will fall into the aviary, the aviary will be equipped on piles.
What is the advantage of cells with walking? The fact is that rabbits need space to run. If they have the opportunity to stay in the fresh air and periodically knead their paws, they will be less sore, gain weight faster and be more active. In addition, the fur in such animals will be much more fluffy and shiny than their sedentary relatives.
A house with a walk may be the same as in the photo.
Tips for building a hand-made cage
Place for the house
The choice of location for the house depends on the climatic conditions of the region. If winter frosts in your area – a rarity, then rabbit houses can be easily placed on the street. However, you should choose a place where there are no drafts and excessive moisture: rabbits are prone to colds.
Tip! Rabbits can be kept indoors as well, but the ideal option is combined maintenance: in summer, rabbit houses are exposed to fresh air, and in winter they are sent back to the barn or house.
If you install shed cells, then it is desirable to arrange them in two rows and turn the facades to each other. An adult should be free to pass between the rows.
Rabbits do not like intense lighting, but if the houses are in a shed, then the room should be equipped with several lamps. They should cover the rabbit dwelling 8–10 hours a day.
For the manufacture of cells with your own hands it is recommended to use the following materials:
- wood (parallel bars, slats, plywood);
- galvanized mesh with a small cell size (it depends on the size of the rabbits);
- plastic for finishing work;
- slate or roof tiles if the cage is outside.
Tip! All wooden parts of the product should be well polished, and the edges of galvanized mesh – tightly nailed to the surface. Rabbits – gentle creatures that can easily get hurt about poorly processed parts of the home.
For the arrangement of rabbit cells is not recommended to use metal. Under the rays of the sun, this material is very hot, and in the cold season it freezes. In such a dwelling, the rabbits will feel uncomfortable, start to hurt and stop breeding.
To make a house for rabbits with your own hands, you will need the following tools:
- hacksaw for wood;
- scissors for cutting the grid;
- nails, screws, screws, corners;
- screwdriver and screwdriver;
The size of rabbit cells depends on the size of the animals. The single cage for the male rabbit should be at least 0.6 m wide and 0.8–1.1 m long. If the rabbits are large, then the dimensions of the section should be increased. One rabbit weighing more than 5 kg requires premises ranging in length from 1.3 to 1.5 m.
The size of the room for the young depends on the number of rabbits. They can be placed 5–8, and with a compacted landing – 12 individuals per lodge. The width of the cells in this case should be 1 m, height – from 0.35 to 0.6 m, and length – 2-3 m.
In any case, one adult rabbit should not be less than 0.5–0.7 m2, and one cub should be less than 0.15–0.2 m 2.
After studying these simple recommendations, you can easily equip your rabbit farm. If you make pet houses yourself, the company will cost a small amount. And the rabbits bring considerable income: after all, not only the tender meat of these animals is appreciated, but also their wool and dung.