After buying a fluffy pet, it is very important to create a comfortable environment for its existence.
Experienced rabbit breeders should know how rabbit cages are built. Only in this case, you can be sure that eared pets will not be at risk from poor-quality materials or improper manufacturing process. There are no particularly specific conditions for keeping rabbits, one has only to take into account that their wild brothers live in ordinary burrows. Since there is nothing difficult in how to build a cage for rabbits with your own hands, no, even beginning farmers-breeders can do it.
Spacious rabbit cage
for rabbits with in the style of "Pagoda"
Quality materials in the construction of the cage for rabbits – above all
Components cells and materials used
Any cage designed for rabbits must be equipped in a certain way. It necessarily contains the following parts:
- The skeleton and the supports on which the whole structure rests are made of wood bars. To keep rabbits protected from rodents, cats and dogs when kept outside, their cage should be placed at a height of about 70 cm from the ground.
- are made of plywood, boards or mesh. For beauty, you can trim the walls outside or with wooden slats. For the convenience of caring for the cell, two doors are made in the part (one from the grid, the other from the board).
- most often made of slats or grid. Separate breeders arrange a solid floor, only in the back of the set a grid to remove waste through it. There are adherents of different materials who, in their own experience, learn what is best for animals kept in different conditions.
- The roof is most often made out of the same material as the walls, and to protect against environmental conditions when you are outdoors, you can install an additional coating of any roofing material.
To protect against rodents, cats and dogs, the housing of rabbits is located at a height of 70 cm from the ground
When creating cages for rabbits it is not recommended to use metal. In the heat, iron is heated, which is inconvenient for animals, and in the cold they can easily be frozen to such a coating. Even when creating the simplest cage for rabbits with your own hands, you need to make sure that all the details are smooth and not traumatic. Any defects in the mesh should be eliminated, and the wood should be treated with sandpaper.
Even an inexperienced amateur breeder can build such a cage with his own hands.
Beautiful plastic cage trim
Before you make a cage for rabbits with your own hands, you should find out what kind of constructions there are for their maintenance. Now there are several types of structures:
one. The usual cage for keeping rabbits is represented by a kind of box on high legs with two doors. Inside the space is divided into aft and nesting compartment, and between them is equipped with a manhole. The cells must be equipped with different in structure feeding troughs and drinkers, as well as sufficient space for the activity of the animal. If you make the most popular rabbit cage with your own hands, the diagram should look something like this:
Some sizes can be slightly increased, based on the breed of rabbits, but in most cases these indicators are suitable for adults.
Of course, there are some differences in the creation of cages for young animals, pregnant and lactating females, adult individuals, but in general, they are all built according to the same scheme. To keep two individuals in one cage, it is worth slightly increasing its size.
Standard rabbit cage
Wooden cage with a large feed compartment for several rabbits
2 The construction of the cage proposed by I.N. Mikhailov. Mikhailov cells for rabbits are whole mini-farms or, as they are called in scientific sources, aggregates for reproduction. Its units are equipped with ventilation systems, original feeders, multiple manholes and shelves, electrically heated uterine compartments and drinkers, manure self-removal systems, etc. On the head farm they constantly improve their cages, so followers should regularly visit the authors’ farm to get an idea of the latest developments in the field of accelerated rabbit breeding.
Mini-farm for breeding rabbits according to the system of I.N. Mikhailov
Cage with all the facilities for eared pet
Cage with a combined feeding and breeding space
3 In contrast to the previous unit, the construction proposed by another author, N.I. Zolotukhin. Creating a Zolotukhin cell for rabbits with your own hands is not a very complicated process, and the author does not even think to hide his ideas. From above, its construction looks as follows:
The floor is made of plywood or flat slate, and not of the grid. A grid about 10–15 cm wide is used only on the floor in the back of the cage, since it is there that rabbits urinate most often. The structures of Zolotukhin are three-tiered: two cells in three floors, with each upper floor shifted back to the distance of the grid in the floor – so the waste products of rabbits do not interfere with the inhabitants of the lower cells. Also, a distinctive characteristic of these cells is the absence of a stationary queen cell: in the winter, a house-hole is placed in a cage, and in summer the rabbit arranges a nest right in the hay.
Craftsmen-craftsmen create other designs with different number of tiers and with different equipment, using combinations of the most suitable, in their opinion, components of the cell and building materials.
House for rabbits with ground feed compartment
Bunk dwelling for rabbits
Original dwelling for two rabbits
Stages of creation
It is necessary to consider in detail the process of creating the simplest single cage for a rabbit (more complex constructions are based on this approach):
- First you need to choose a place where there will be a rabbit. It should be as protected as possible from wind and drafts.
- The next thing you need to create a cage for rabbits with your own hands – drawings. They take into account the purpose of a particular cell, its different content, the structure of the whole structure. In determining the size is based on the size of a particular breed, but most often take the size 1507070 cm.
- Further, according to the size of the frame is made of bars. If in the front part the height of the cage is usually 60-70 cm, then in the rear part the height is taken less (so that the roof is inclined).
- The frame is sheathed with plywood, boards or other selected material. Inside the cage, the partition is divided into nest and aft compartments, and a hole with a diameter of 20 cm is cut in the partition. In order for the rabbits not to bite the partition, it is better to cover the hole with a sheet.
Single rabbit cage
For convenience, two doors are made in the cage – wooden in the nest compartment and mesh in the feed.
Cage design with the ability to eat grass
Another cell option using
Two-story house with space for walking a rabbit
Differences in the content of ornamental rabbits
Ornamental rabbits breeders bred specifically for home content. It is logical that the conditions for their stay should be somewhat different than for traditional breeds. However, it must be remembered that their common ancestor is used to living in burrows, and to recreate such conditions, you can equip a small house for a decorative rabbit in a cage.
There are quite a few requirements for dwarf and ornamental rocks cells:
- a large area (since the rabbit will be more time precisely in the cage, it is necessary to create all the conditions for activity: various manholes, ladders, etc.),
- tall and solid (this is important for the pet as well, since its paws do not have pads, and for the owner so that the contents of the cell are not scattered around),
- the absence of sharp elements, slippery surfaces, parts, treated with varnish or paint in order to ensure the safety of the eared animal.
Beautiful two-story cage for two pets
Uncomplicated and compact cage design
For flat maintenance, cells are usually bought, as they are quite beautiful. But beauty does not always mean convenience for a pet, and therefore it makes sense to think about how to make a cage for a decorative rabbit with your own hands. You can easily make a cage, which will be similar to the purchase version, from a fairly high rectangular pelvis (to create a pallet) and a galvanized mesh with cells no more than 2525 mm.
This mesh bends easily and does not break, making it easy to make a parallelepiped without the bottom, and insert the lower ends of the wire into the holes made in advance on the pelvic board. On one of the walls of the door. So that the floor is not slippery, you can put sawdust in a cage or put a corrugated cardboard on the bottom. At the end of the cage you need to put a drinker, feeder, ladder and other entertainment for an eared pet.
Rabbit house with a roof
The cage should be placed in a place protected from wind and drafts.
Three-story house for the rabbit family
Cages for rabbits do it yourself – video
Rabbit cages – photo
The most simple cages for rabbits photo drawings