For the comfortable maintenance of various small animals, for example, rabbits, cages are often used. We suggest you make a convenient option according to the method of the famous breeder Nikolai Ivanovich Zolotukhin. What do the cages for rabbits look like: drawings with dimensions according to Zolotukhin’s method, see our article. Interesting videos and photos will help to fully understand how these "houses" are arranged.
Features of the cell according to Zolotukhin
Rabbit leader N.I. Zolotukhin more than 30 years ago designed a cage in which the rabbits grow beautifully and suffer little. Such cells are designed for three rabbit families, for example, rabbit with cubs, or 3-6 adults in each tier.
There are several features in the cage itself: three tiers, a convenient tilting feeder and an inclined floor. Between the living parts of the cage are V-shaped hay tanks.
Note several tiers of different sizes and sloping floors. Moreover, on the highest tier the floor is not tilted, and in the second and third tilt is approximately 5-6 cm. In each "floor" the back of the floor is mesh, so the feces and urine of animals fall along the back wall. The upper tier is more than the second by the size of the net area, the second – more than the third. This is necessary so that the waste of the rabbit living on the top floor does not soil the neighbors.
The facility also lacks a stationary mother liquor. In winter, a closed box with a hole for the entrance of the female can be installed inside. For the summer period, this “house” is pulled out of the cage and the female makes a nest on the hay litter. The plot with calves is limited from the adult zone by a conventional board with a back edge filed with a butt joint.
Another plus is the feeder, which can be tilted to itself, sprinkled on the feed and closed without opening the cage door. It is attached to ordinary nails, made of boards and upholstered with tin, so that the rabbits do not gnaw it. More details about the appearance of the building will be provided by the photos in our gallery and the video at the end of the article.
The cage design for Zolotukhina rabbits is very simple, but there may be several options for the side walls. For example, mesh, plywood, chipboard, fiberboard, wood. The main thing is to do the rear mesh area of the floor and scatter tiers "ladder"! In the following photos you can clearly see what the cell looks like from the side and what types of structures there are: with an inclined front wall and with a smooth front wall (both buildings with a sennik in the middle part). Despite the seeming complexity, making such a rabbit house with your own hands is not difficult at all!
The width of the cage should be 2 meters in size, in height – about one and a half meters. Depth of construction – from 70 to 80 cm. Obligatory follow the recommendation on the slope of the floor – from 5 to 7 cm. The area of the floor grid at the rear wall in width should be 15-20 cm. Door dimensions – 40 to 40 cm, the approximate height of one tier – 50 cm.
The dimensions of the mother liquor box are as follows: the height of the wall in front is 16 cm, the height of the wall in the back is 26 cm, the floor and the ceiling are squares with dimensions of 40×40 cm. The entrance hole for the little rabbit is 15 cm in height and 10-15 cm wide. Instead of a separate mother liquor for the winter the author of the drawing suggests using a simpler version. This is a box with a height of 10 cm and a length from wall to wall, with which part of the cage with rabbit is fenced off. In this case, the bunny simply jumps over the board.
Making a cage with your own hands
So, following our instructions and the list of necessary materials and tools, you can easily make a cage according to the scheme of Zolotukhin with your own hands. Additional help will be photos and drawings from our photo gallery, as well as a video in which the author tells about the details of the design.
Tools and materials
- wooden boards with a thickness of 1.5-2 cm;
- dense sheet slate;
- sheet metal or tin for wood paneling along the edge;
- the grid is dense, welded;
- polycarbonate for the roof, the creation of sennik, front wall of the feeder, the rear wall of the cell;
- nails, hammer;
- Drinkers any at your discretion;
- hooks on the door or wooden bars for latch and limit bars.
Boards, sheet slate, welded mesh and colored polycarbonate
Now let’s look at how to make cages for Zolotukhin rabbits easily and quickly with your own hands.
- We roll the frame of wood, focusing on the above dimensions.
- Saws out the doors and partitions for the mother liquor, the winter box for kids is sized up. If you do not plan to do a separate box, provide a solid door without gaps on the part of the cage where the newborns with their mother will live for the first two weeks.
- The grid is cut by the number of cells.
- We cut the floor from dense sheet slate, it will be at the same time the roof for the lower tier.
- The back walls are cut from polycarbonate (you can also use chipboard, boards, plywood, etc.).
- We fill the edges of the cells along the edges of the cells. Their height is 10 cm, width is up to 2 cm. The bar needs to be filled along the junction with the front edge of the cage, so your bunnies will not exactly fall out.
- Each tier partition in half, leaving in the middle a place for V-shaped sennik, their size is arbitrary.
- The last stage of work is a feeding trough at an angle of 35 degrees. It is hung on the door with the help of nails, which pierced the side walls. Holes in the walls under the nails make a little more than the diameter of the nail, so the container will move freely. In the middle of the tray put the grid – it misses the average amount of grain or other feed, without excessive rash.
The fattening door must be mesh and wider, but the door that covers the queen cells must be wooden. If you have made a separate box, it is taken out for the summer and the babies with mom are kept in the hay. Separately put together matochik, as we have indicated, should expand to the rear wall. So the rabbit will get the effect of this hole.